No announcement yet.

top 20 greatest all around heavyweight punchers of all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• top 20 greatest all around heavyweight punchers of all time

NOTE- this is greatest all around punchers of all time. THIS DOES NOT MEAN HARDEST HITTER WITH 1 PUNCH.

so heres the criteria you judge: 1 punch power in both hands, combinations, accuracy, volume of punches, how effective are your punches on the opponent, handspeed, finishing ability, timing, snap on your punches, body punching, late power, punching technique, agression ability to punch at all angles, mixture of punches.

HOWEVER POWER, TWO FISTED KO POWER MEAN A LOT MORE THAN ANY OF THE CATEGORIES HERE. SO USE THESE 2 CATEGORIES ON A HIGHER STANDARD THAN THE OTHER LEVELS.

here are my top 10

1. joe louis
    2. mike tyson
    3. jack dempsey
    4. sonny liston
    5. rocky marciano
    6. George Foreman
    7. joe frazier
    8. lennox lewis
    9. max baer
    10. James Jeffries

remember: THIS THREAD IS NOT ASKING "WHO IS THE HARDEST HITTER WITH 1 PUNCH"
    Last edited by SuzieQ49; 03-25-2006, 01:15 AM.

ok heres my top 5...im not in the right mind to think to hard right no wlol...
    1.tyson he had speed, power in both hands, great body work(earlier in his career of course) and precision.
    2.joe louis he threw great combinations and was accuarate with his punches
    3.joe frazier worked the body hard and had a deadly left hook to the body r head
    4.liston early in his career obviously
    5.foreman although only a headhunter mainly, he threw really hard punches, ever see him against joe roma(idk if thats his name) hes pushing that guy around the ring with his punches

Comment

Originally posted by sleazyfellow
      ok heres my top 5...im not in the right mind to think to hard right no wlol...
      1.tyson he had speed, power in both hands, great body work(earlier in his career of course) and precision.
      2.joe louis he threw great combinations and was accuarate with his punches
      3.joe frazier worked the body hard and had a deadly left hook to the body r head
      4.liston early in his career obviously
      5.foreman although only a headhunter mainly, he threw really hard punches, ever see him against joe roma(idk if thats his name) hes pushing that guy around the ring with his punches

how could frazier be over marciano and dempsey when marciano and dempsey were much better TWO FISTED PUNCHER than frazier.
      frazier soely relied on his left hook. dempsey and rock could knock u out with either hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQ49
        so heres the criteria you judge: 1 punch power in both hands, combinations, accuracy, volume of punches, how effective are your punches on the opponent, handspeed, finishing ability, timing, snap on your punches, body punching, late power, punching technique, ability to punch at all angles, mixture of punches.

cause i judged by criteria u listed...thats why i have frazier over marciano, hell id pick frazier over marciano anyday, although he didnt have knockout power with both hands his left was more than enough..and hes more consistent with combos and body work than either dempsy or marciano.

Comment

don't flame me, but according to the criteria suzie q asked for...

1. Sonny Liston
          2. Mike Tyson
          3. Joe Louis
          4. Joe Frazier
          5. Jack Dempsey
          6. Muhammad Ali
          7. Jack Johnson
          8. George Foreman
          9. Rocky Marciano
          10.Max Baer
          11.Lennox Lewis
          12.Ernie Shavers
          13.Gerry Cooney
          14.Ron Lyle
          15.James Jeffries
          16.Larry Holmes
          17.Riddick Bowe
          18.Ken Norton
          19.Floyd Patterson
          20.Ezzard Charles

don't jump on me, but i took into account speed, accuracy, effect, volume, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
            don't flame me, but according to the criteria suzie q asked for...

1. Sonny Liston
            2. Mike Tyson
            3. Joe Louis
            4. Joe Frazier
            5. Jack Dempsey
            6. Muhammad Ali
            7. Jack Johnson
            8. George Foreman
            9. Rocky Marciano
            10.Max Baer
            11.Lennox Lewis
            12.Ernie Shavers
            13.Gerry Cooney
            14.Ron Lyle
            15.James Jeffries
            16.Larry Holmes
            17.Riddick Bowe
            18.Ken Norton
            19.Floyd Patterson
            20.Ezzard Charles

don't jump on me, but i took into account speed, accuracy, effect, volume, etc.

jack johnson? ARE U KIDDING? HE WAS A GOOD PUNCHER, BUT HE WAS DEFINTLEY NOT A GREAT ONE. HE NOWHERE NEAR BELONGS IN THE TOP 10.

muhammad ali? ridiculous ali was not a power puncher

ezzard charles but no jersey joe walcott who was a much better puncher than charles.

- KEN NORTON? U MUST BE KIDDING ME. WHO THE HELL DID HE EVER KNOCKOUT? NORTON OVER PATTERSON AND WALCOTT?? RIDICULOUS

larry holmes? he wasnt a power puncher

butterfly, the biggest category here is POWER and one punch KO power in both hands, IT MEANS A LOT MORE THAN THE OTHER CATEGORIES.

Comment

gerry cooney on that list is a joke. outside of a lot of power in his left hook, he had nothing.

-he was one of the hardest hitters of all time. but not one of the greatest punchers

Comment

Originally posted by SuzieQ49
                jack johnson? ARE U KIDDING? HE WAS A GOOD PUNCHER, BUT HE WAS DEFINTLEY NOT A GREAT ONE. HE NOWHERE NEAR BELONGS IN THE TOP 10.

muhammad ali? ridiculous ali was not a power puncher

ezzard charles but no jersey joe walcott who was a much better puncher than charles.

- KEN NORTON? U MUST BE KIDDING ME. WHO THE HELL DID HE EVER KNOCKOUT? NORTON OVER PATTERSON AND WALCOTT?? RIDICULOUS

larry holmes? he wasnt a power puncher

butterfly, the biggest category here is POWER and one punch KO power in both hands, IT MEANS A LOT MORE THAN THE OTHER CATEGORIES.
                jack johnson was very effective with his punches.

ali was too. look at his ko percentage. his punches stung you and would wear you down and then knock you out. holmes punches were the same way.

Comment

Shavers is a better two-fisted puncher than is Joe Frazier, for sure, if the main criteria is two-fisted power. Shavers was better known for his right hand, but he could throw that left hook very effectively & with loads of power to the body and head (e.g. left hook to Ron Lyle that completely messed him up)...

Shavers' right hand is more powerful than Frazier's left hook. And Shavers' left hook is much better than is Joe Frazier's right hand.

Comment

David Tua

I've seen rather a lot of David Tua's fights and he was (and is) 1 of the biggest punchers of all time. His left hook is gigantic, perhaps stronger than Joe Frazier's, and he's the most dangerous finisher I've ever seen when he gets a man pinned to the ropes. He's not in top shape anymore, and is quite short at 5'9" and a bit slow on his feet so it takes him many rounds to finally catch up to some guys, especially outside boxers with good legs who can stay away from him for many rounds.

Tua has gotten a lot of late kos in his career, and that's not from wearing guys down with a lot of punishing blows, but just from finally catching up to guys who gradually tired and got careless. He's frustrating to watch sometimes since he loses a lot of rounds to taller, quicker outside boxers, but except for Hasim Rahman (2nd fight), Lennox Lewis, Chris Byrd and Ike Ibeabuchi he's eventually caught all of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X