Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do All These Mayweather Circus Fights Bother so Many Boxing Fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do All These Mayweather Circus Fights Bother so Many Boxing Fans?

I don't get why these fights upset so many fans. Like why? It would be one thing if he was holding up a division hostage while taking on McGregor or Tenshin, but he's made it pretty clear he isn't interested in taking on any more legitimate fights. How does this bug people more than when he had the WBC/WBA 154 pound titles and defended them against NO ONE. Like he was fighting Maidana and the 154 pound titles were on the line. Getting upset at Floyd for that is perfectly reasonable.

All he's doing now is making easy money and clearly still drumming up a lot of interest from the casuals. This was a mega event in Japan and then obviously the McGregor fight was the 2nd biggest PPV event of all time.

It baffles me as well. I don't understand it.

Comment

It's because he has had his time and misses the spotlight a bit too much. While he should be promoting his fighters, he is too busy grabbing headlines from them, with these kind of stunts.

The man is an attention whore. If he is going to prolong his career after announcing his retirement and decides to get back in the ring again then either shit or get off the pot. Fight a live opponent instead of all of these no hopers.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
        It's because he has had his time and misses the spotlight a bit too much. While he should be promoting his fighters, he is too busy grabbing headlines from them, with these kind of stunts.

The man is an attention whore. If he is going to prolong his career after announcing his retirement and decides to get back in the ring again then either shit or get off the pot. Fight a live opponent instead of all of these no hopers.
        But he has actually said on numerous occasions he's not interested in being the best fighter anymore or fighting someone legit. That's the point of fights like this one. He's just looking for some circus fights that will get him paid. As long as the casuals eat this up, the more he will continue doing it. He's not going to be passing up big pay days for joke fights like this one. And it's stupid to expect him to do so.

Fair point on he can do a better job promoting, but he's just a promoter by name that's it. You know Ellerbe is running most of the show and running the day to day operations.

Comment

He's done as a serious boxer, glad that he knows it. He's a big enough celebrity that he can cash in on his name and carry the mantel for boxing as well.

Frankly, if Pacquaio or GGG fight MMA guys in a couple years I'll be rooting for them to smoke them too. Would love to see GGG put McGregor to sleep boxing, or Pacquaio KO some young punk who talks **** about boxing.

People hate Floyd, they really want him to box again vs a serious contender because they know Floyd is a shadow of his former self and will get beat eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by chitownboxing View Post
            It baffles me as well. I don't understand it.
            Doesn't make any sense. It would be one thing if he was holding up fights at WW or LMW, but he's not doing that at all. For all those people saying they don't give a damn about these circus fights, they sure do tune in to all of them LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
              But he has actually said on numerous occasions he's not interested in being the best fighter anymore or fighting someone legit. That's the point of fights like this one. He's just looking for some circus fights that will get him paid. As long as the casuals eat this up, the more he will continue doing it. He's not going to be passing up big pay days for joke fights like this one. And it's stupid to expect him to do so.

Fair point on he can do a better job promoting, but he's just a promoter by name that's it. You know Ellerbe is running most of the show and running the day to day operations.
              Tank has been on the shelf for more than a year. He should would worry more about promoting his fighters but I guess he can't because he has too many IRS and gambling problems to focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
                He's done as a serious boxer, glad that he knows it. He's a big enough celebrity that he can cash in on his name and carry the mantel for boxing as well.

Frankly, if Pacquaio or GGG fight MMA guys in a couple years I'll be rooting for them to smoke them too. Would love to see GGG put McGregor to sleep boxing, or Pacquaio KO some young punk who talks **** about boxing.

People hate Floyd, they really want him to box again vs a serious contender because they know Floyd is a shadow of his former self and will get beat eventually.
                Floyd started doing this after the Pacquiao fight. Even the Berto fight was, "I got one more fight left on my SHO deal so let me get this over with someone who can't challenge me at all" lol. He's done taking on any legitimate challenge and doesn't care for being recognized as the best fighter in the world. Floyd is still a mega star and is striking while the iron is hot. Eventually people will be completely over him and he won't be able to pull this off. But you better believe this will continue for as long as it can.

Comment

It's unprecedented stuff he's doing, and he's a boxer. He really should be beloved by all boxers, and boxing fans. He's not taking money from anyone that deserves it. He's making money for them by generating interest to boxing from all over.He's like the black Elvis.

Comment

I have no issue with this fight, it was an exhibition, albeit against a dude 25 lbs lighter than him. The McGregor fight was a sanctioned fight, not an exhibition. That's on Nevada though, not Floyd.

Let him make his money, he's earned it.

Comment

Working...
                    X