No announcement yet.

WEC To Shut Down 205 & 185 Weight Classes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEC To Shut Down 205 & 185 Weight Classes

World Extreme Cagefighting champions Steve Cantwell and Paulo Filho will find themselves in the deeper waters of the UFC. Both titleholders will likely be relegated to the UFC’s light heavyweight and middleweight divisions with the WEC’s announcement Friday to dissolve the weight classes in 2009.

The WEC will continue to host bouts in the bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight divisions. The WEC, which is owned by Zuffa LLC, parent company to the UFC, enjoys a healthy broadcast contract with the Versus channel, a sports-centric cable network.

Talks of dropping the two divisions to focus on the lighter weight classes have been ongoing.

"We're going to make the WEC the smaller weights and the UFC will be the heavier weights,” UFC President Dana White told The Canadian Press last April. “We'll probably take some of the guys in the higher weights, the champions over there and bring them into the UFC. We're still trying to figure that out."

Zuffa doesn't seem to be resting on its laurels with the decision. MMAWeekly.com reported Friday that Cantwell and Stann will have their rubber match at UFC "Fight for the Troops" Dec. 10 at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. The live ****e TV event will donate proceeds to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, a not-for-profit organization that provides financial support to the families of deceased and severely wounded military veterans.

A resident of Las Vegas, Cantwell (6-1) wrested the light heavyweight accolade away from former champion and U.S. Marine Corps officer Brian Stann (6-1) by second-round TKO in a heated rematch last August. Their first contest ended in only 41 seconds in Stann's favor.

Filho (16-0), a former Pride Fighting Championships star, has defended his middleweight title once. In December 2007, he earned a controversial second-round verbal submission over Team Quest’s Chael Sonnen. The pair is set to rematch at WEC 36 on Nov. 5 in Hollywood, Fla.

“I’m furious to hear the news. I’m returning to BodogFight immediately,” Sonnen joked Friday.

WEC officials could not be initially reached for comment.

I like both addititions for sure, I especially like them bringing in Filho to fight Anderson which everybody knows is going to happen.

Comment

cant wait to see Filho in pride-like competition again. Hopefully he'll take out chonnen first

Comment

Originally posted by 75th View Post
        I like both addititions for sure, I especially like them bringing in Filho to fight Anderson which everybody knows is going to happen.
        Sorry but I think those 2 train together

Comment

Originally posted by Brian13 View Post
          Sorry but I think those 2 train together
          I see that they're friends now, but you never know.

Friends can't fight friends and still be friends afterward, I've done it.

Comment

They won't fight each other. It's a Brazilian thing.

Comment

friends fight all the time, but its rare you see two guys from the same camp go at it.

i'm sure if the money was right they'd do it, but i don't see it happening.

the UFC's MW division has some great grapplers right now with Maia, Pahlares, Fihlo, Marquardt, Lister, Leites

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post
                They won't fight each other. It's a Brazilian thing.
                c'mon Bricks, Brazilians have fought before, Chute Box vs Brazilian Top Team.

Theres only a few ways that they dont fight each other.

1. Filho tanks in UFC and becomes shot like all the Sonnen fans think he is.
                2. Either him or Spider move up in weight since niether can cut anymore weight for Welterweight
                3. One or the other moves to another organization which isnt happening since UFC is pretty much number 1.

If Filho carries on his Pride skills and Anderson keeps winning they have no choice unless they want to hear Dana's mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                  c'mon Bricks, Brazilians have fought before, Chute Box vs Brazilian Top Team.

Theres only a few ways that they dont fight each other.

1. Filho tanks in UFC and becomes shot like all the Sonnen fans think he is.
                  2. Either him or Spider move up in weight since niether can cut anymore weight for Welterweight
                  3. One or the other moves to another organization which isnt happening since UFC is pretty much number 1.

If Filho carries on his Pride skills and Anderson keeps winning they have no choice unless they want to hear Dana's mouth
                  1. Chute Boxe and Brazilian Top Team have been bitter rivals for a long time.
                  2. Paulo Filho and Anderson Silva trained together most of their lives. That's like asking Shogun to fight Wanderlei Silva.
                  3. Filho will walk through a lot of the competition in the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Move BRICKS View Post
                    1. Chute Boxe and Brazilian Top Team have been bitter rivals for a long time.
                    2. Paulo Filho and Anderson Silva trained together most of their lives. That's like asking Shogun to fight Wanderlei Silva.
                    3. Filho will walk through a lot of the competition in the UFC.
                    I kno they were rivals but i only used that as an example to ur "brazilian thing" claim, also regardless of anything, MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

Comment

Working...
                    X