• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran vs. Whitaker

What happens?

duran by split decision.

Comment

In a 12 rounder I see Whitaker taking the decision. In a 15 round affari it'd be very close either way...I'd lean towards Duran. Both scenarios would be extremely close though.

Comment

sweet pea takes this one.. for sure

Comment

Duran would be way to stong for Whitaker.

Comment

At Lightweight this is an extemely intriguing match-up. Duran is more vicious than anyone Pete ever faced; but Whittaker had a bit of a meanstreak as well. It took his reflexes slowing for anyone to see it; but it was always there. However, he would try to outbox Duran, until Roberto made it to the inside...and he would, eventually.

I can see Whitaker getting caught up in the macho thing like Leonard did in the first fight; but the way Pete's mean streak came out was by embarrassing his opponents with his superior skill. He loved to humiliate the other guy. He wouldn't stay inside with Duran the way Leonard did in the first fight because he didn't hit as hard as Ray. Leonard made the mistake of thinking he hit hard enough to hurt Duran...Pete would never think that way.

Duran would have the strength advantage and he'd use it to bully Whittaker to get him on the ropes or corner him which would encourage Whittaker to rough house back a little. For Duran to win, he'd have to get Pete to the ropes because even though Roberto was very quick for a lighweight, he wasn't as nimble of hand and foot as Whitaker....but he made up for it in tenaciousness.

This would be a very close fight between two very tough minded and tough individuals; but I give the edge to Duran.

Duran by SD.

Comment

This would have the potenial to frustrate Duran.It would be a fight from what I can tell from what I have seen of both men......Whitaker UD.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
                At Lightweight this is an extemely intriguing match-up. Duran is more vicious than anyone Pete ever faced; but Whittaker had a bit of a meanstreak as well. It took his reflexes slowing for anyone to see it; but it was always there. However, he would try to outbox Duran, until Roberto made it to the inside...and he would, eventually.

I can see Whitaker getting caught up in the macho thing like Leonard did in the first fight; but the way Pete's mean streak came out was by embarrassing his opponents with his superior skill. He loved to humiliate the other guy. He wouldn't stay inside with Duran the way Leonard did in the first fight because he didn't hit as hard as Ray. Leonard made the mistake of thinking he hit hard enough to hurt Duran...Pete would never think that way.

Duran would have the strength advantage and he'd use it to bully Whittaker to get him on the ropes or corner him which would encourage Whittaker to rough house back a little. For Duran to win, he'd have to get Pete to the ropes because even though Roberto was very quick for a lighweight, he wasn't as nimble of hand and foot as Whitaker....but he made up for it in tenaciousness.

This would be a very close fight between two very tough minded and tough individuals; but I give the edge to Duran.

Duran by SD.
                most of your posts are very impressive.

Comment

k-dogg:
                  you are right this is an extremely intriguing matchup. on one hand you have a media legend - the panamanian devil. on the other hand, you have a guy the media absolutely despised.

assuming this matchup is at 135, for all its worth, i change my prediction and i think pernell beats him in a 12 rounder, duran beats him in 15. i hate to say it because duran is my all-time favorite fighter, but i think pernell may be too 'cute' for him.

to a large extent, pernell's greatness lied in his ability to see things in the present, as they were happening, and shaping and directing the direction of the action. he always knows where he was and where his opponent was and where they are going. i love the way he leads his opponent into positions where he was free to let his hands go. he knew when they are unable to counter or knew exactly what that counter would be and was ready for it. his jab - he threw it straight so that his entire body is behind it.

something many people forget about this matchup is that they are both equal in strength (IMO). duran, for all his primeval savagery was pernell's equal in terms of strength (IMO). they are both 5'6'' so we would most likely see a see-saw battle on the inside.

duran would be forced to turn pernell and fight him on the outside. pernell wins a close decision (12 rounds), and duran wins a close decision (15 rounds).

Comment

Pernell definitely had the ability to move for 12 rounds on Duran...make no mistake about that. He had the strongest tree trunk legs I've seen on a guy that small. He also had the cute jab, that would have frustrated Duran quite a bit. Duran would score when Pernell got too full of himself, which happened in more of his bouts than it should have. I could see Duran possibly dropping Pernell too, but I cannot see him winning more rounds.

This is the fight I'd like to see most over any fight in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X