No announcement yet.

How great Was Chuck Norris???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How great Was Chuck Norris???

I know He was a karate champ or whatever.. and everyone makes all these jokes about him but how good was he really?

Nah, it's just an internet phenomenon like pedobear and the xzibit jokes.

Comment

have u seen walker texas ranger? jk lol. Bruce Lee dusted him in Way of the Dragon (i know its a movie, but sick nonetheless)

Comment

anyone who gets drafted in to fight in a bruce lee movie, must of been one hell of a fighter!

i think people take him for a bit of a joke now with all these "chuck norris is so tough" jokes.

Comment

Well along with Joe lewis (not Louis) he was one of the top karate champs of his era.

Karate tournaments were very limited by alot of rules back then though.

After that he started to became a movie star in the 70's. In the 80's he had even bigger movies, a cartoon (I used to watch it) action figures and all kinds of stuff.

Comment

in the octagon rules by that video chuck would of won by an early stoppage

Comment

There's a difference between a fighter and martial arts actor, yeah they can do all these cool looking moves on screen where it is all staged, but when it comes to a real fight it's alot different... that's what all this bruce lee fan boys dont understand and call him the greatest fighter to ever excist without ever seeing him actually fight for real it's hillarious..

Comment

i think an early chuck must have been a good fighter. he did fight in contact tournaments.

so did doplh lundgren - who was also a full contact kyokushen champion of at least 2 times.

bruce may have been a good fighter, but his real passion seemd to be more into acting. i can think of many guys around bruce's time that could more likely than not put bruce into a comma in less than 3 minutes. im talking about guys who were known to fight a lot, a lot! and known to beat other teachers or top students.

still, i say bruce and chuck, and even dolph, were decent fighters. i have my doubts, major doubts, about van damme and steven segal.

btw, some of the guys in enter the dragon(the island tourny movie) were really good real fighters and even taught bruce a few things on set i believe.

Comment

Bruce is an actor but he was a damn good martial artist as well. The guy didn't learn wing chun for acting or choy ley fut(dont know if I spelled it right). His teacher is a well reknowned wing chun martial artist; Yip Man. You dont learn from a man like that and not know how to fight.

Then the man takes into account that street fighting isn't a martial art contest. Refined his approach. Made martial arts more practical to the streets. Now people open their mind to new things rather than saying "My Judo is better than your Shotokan." Hence people mix styles more often now because a man in the spotlight brung it to their attention. No one listens to the old monk with the white beard and a cane but when a Movie Star talks about it everyone listens.

Saying Bruce Lee isn't a good fighter. Not a sportsman (boxing, MMA) and no martial art competitor(competitions where you win by screaming the loudest). I mean a good fighter(martial artist), is like saying Jet Li doesn't know Martial arts.

Even Jack Dempsey said it himself "You're in there for three-minute rounds with gloves on and a referee. That's not real fighting." my fellow boxing fans can at least respect and acknowledge that.

So dont tell me Bruce had to prove himself in a ring.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

v
                    Even Jack Dempsey said it himself "You're in there for three-minute rounds with gloves on and a referee. That's not real fighting." my fellow boxing fans can at least respect and acknowledge that.

So dont tell me Bruce had to prove himself in a ring.
                    Yep, Dempsey knew from his life as a hobo.

People always want proof of ability but street fights aren't staged in front of thousands of fans.

Does that mean that people should never talk about who the best street fighter is?

Well they can do it if they want to, but it will always be a much different thing than talking about pro fighters. The tough guy at the pub/bar that wastes other tough guys may not have any footage of it, but if you mess with him it won't stop him from beating you down.

What we know is that Lee was a guy who trained with the world's top Master of a particular style of Kung Fu, fought in the streets alot ( got in trouble for it, he was sent to the U.S. to stay out of trouble) that he began to adjust the techniques he had learned to fit the streets, and that top competitive martial artists trained with him and heaped tremendous praise on his physical abilities and skills. So pro or con Lee that's basically what you're dealing with...

Oh and some wins as an amatuer Boxer.

Edit: Oh and some footage that displays some pretty freakishly extraordinary speed.
                    Last edited by res; 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X