No announcement yet.

New trainer changed my style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New trainer changed my style

Hi all, I have boxed a fair bit over the years mainly on and off during my teens.
    Im a bit older now but i'm going to get back into boxing.
    I'm 6ft3 tall and 91kg.

Anyway my stance used to be similar to kilitchko's and I used to enjoy working off my front hand with rear hand always by my chin ready poised for the bigger bangs.
    I felt loose and relaxed in this style.
    Don't get me wrong i was by no means as loose and wild and defense neglectful as Wilder!, but never the less I was kilitchko type of stance with leading hand out far.

My new recent trainer has insisted I keep both arms by my chin at all times and my hand come straight back to my chin....basic stuff and I'm good at it!. On videos of me hitting bag and sparring etc my hands now naturally come straight back to my chin like a piston! I've mastered it.
    OK so my defence is good but I've lost my offensive part of boxing now as i feel very rigid like this and my jab isn't as good as I cannot just flick it out at differnt angles and with differing force like I could before. I'm rigid like Joshua and frank Bruno!.
    Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?.

I don't know which I prefer, I mean this new style ticks more boxes in theory but I feel stiff awkward and that I'm loosing a lot of offensive with it.
    Last edited by Divy old man; 11-08-2017, 12:33 PM.

Originally posted by Divy old man View Post
    Hi all, I have boxed a fair bit over the years mainly on and off during my teens.
    Im a bit older now but i'm going to get back into boxing.
    I'm 6ft3 tall and 91kg.

Anyway my stance used to be similar to kilitchko's and I used to enjoy working off my front hand with rear hand always by my chin ready poised for the bigger bangs.
    I felt loose and relaxed in this style.
    Don't get me wrong i was by no means as loose and wild and defense neglectful as Wilder!, but never the less I was kilitchko type of stance with leading hand out far.

My new recent trainer has insisted I keep both arms by my chin at all times and my hand come straight back to my chin....basic stuff and I'm good at it!. On videos of me hitting bag and sparring etc my hands now naturally come straight back to my chin like a piston! I've mastered it.
    OK so my defence is good but I've lost my offensive part of boxing now as i feel very rigid like this and my jab isn't as good as I cannot just flick it out at differnt angles and with differing force like I could before. I'm rigid like Joshua and frank Bruno!.
    Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?.

I don't know which I prefer, I mean this new style ticks more boxes in theory but I feel stiff awkward and that I'm loosing a lot of offensive with it.
    Have you voiced your concerns to the trainer?

Comment

Yes mate but he insists I do things his way.

Comment

Yes mate but he insists I do things his way.
        If you are not comfortable with him, might be time to get a new trainer.

Comment

True mate tar for reply

Comment

The way you are training now is the more proper way. It's worth investing the time to learn and become comfortable in this new style in my opinion.

Even if you have to go through a period of growing pains.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              The way you are training now is the more proper way. It's worth investing the time to learn and become comfortable in this new style in my opinion.

Even if you have to go through a period of growing pains.
              This is good advice right here as well.

Comment

Should I stay with it or go back to my old methods?
                Stick with it. You're jab was never really good because you were cheating.

Learn how to get snap, real snap. Shadowbox with small hands weights for 4 rounds (5lb, 4lb, and 1lb one for each round then 16oz gloves for one last round). 10 1-2's, 10 palm down hooks, the 10 uppercuts walking forward, rinse repeat.

Also, use your right (or whatever is your rear hand) hand to create the snap. The snap is the torque from pulling back that creates that whip like effect. Throw the left jab from your chin fast and straight, then pull your right hand back to your chin so your waist assists in the snap.

Comment

The more time I spend in boxing, the more I feel like the word "style" gets abused by those to disguise their deficiencies in the fundamentals.

Comment

if you'd rather carry your fists next to your balls than don't complain to your trainer when you get ktfo. He'll just say "told you".
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 11-20-2017, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X