Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Louis vs Larry Holmes

Who wins? 15 rounds

I think Louis by 13th round stoppage.

They both had great defensive ability, and liked their foes to come at them, so they could counter and jab. Of course, this could make this a very dull fight. But still, one would have to come out the winner, and my money would be on Louis. The reason is simple enough - he was better than Holmes in every department!

Holmes had a longer reach and would outweigh Louis by 10-15 lbs in their primes, but he would not dwarf Louis and I can't see the size difference making too much of a difference.

Holmes had a great left jab, one of the best in the history of heavyweight boxing. But Louis' jab was better, or at least at the same level to that of Holmes.

Holmes was a briliant boxer, but Louis is widely recognised as the most flawless heavyweight fighter of all time, so I would give him the nod here also.

Louis had better handspeed than did Holmes and definitely hit harder.

They both had great stamina and heart.

Granted, Holmes had the better chin, but the "chin-factor" would not be a factor in this fight because Holmes would not have the speed or power to knock out Louis.

I don't think Louis could knock out Holmes either, because of Holmes' tremendous chin. But I do see him taking control of the fight in the mid rounds, after about four-five evenfought rounds. He would beat Holmes to the punch and make it impossible for Holmes to slug it out. He would start putting pressure on Holmes (something he hated) and start punishing him with lightening fast combinations to the head and body. Holmes' chin and great defensive abilities would help him survive the full distance, but he would be soundly beaten.

Joe Louis by UD.

Comment

Actually I could even see Louis stopping or knocking out Holmes courtesy of his vicious body punching. No one has an invincible body. Louis was one of the best inside fighters the division has seen as well as one of the greatest finishers. To beat Louis you needed to be either a big puncher with a steel chin, a phenomenal counter puncher, or a dancer/runner. Holmes was just all around very good but even his jab (the best thing Holmes had going for him IMO) was slower and worse than Louis's.

Comment

Originally posted by M26
        They both had great defensive ability, and liked their foes to come at them, so they could counter and jab. Of course, this could make this a very dull fight. But still, one would have to come out the winner, and my money would be on Louis. The reason is simple enough - he was better than Holmes in every department!

Holmes had a longer reach and would outweigh Louis by 10-15 lbs in their primes, but he would not dwarf Louis and I can't see the size difference making too much of a difference.

Holmes had a great left jab, one of the best in the history of heavyweight boxing. But Louis' jab was better, or at least at the same level to that of Holmes.

Holmes was a briliant boxer, but Louis is widely recognised as the most flawless heavyweight fighter of all time, so I would give him the nod here also.

Louis had better handspeed than did Holmes and definitely hit harder.

They both had great stamina and heart.

Granted, Holmes had the better chin, but the "chin-factor" would not be a factor in this fight because Holmes would not have the speed or power to knock out Louis.

I don't think Louis could knock out Holmes either, because of Holmes' tremendous chin. But I do see him taking control of the fight in the mid rounds, after about four-five evenfought rounds. He would beat Holmes to the punch and make it impossible for Holmes to slug it out. He would start putting pressure on Holmes (something he hated) and start punishing him with lightening fast combinations to the head and body. Holmes' chin and great defensive abilities would help him survive the full distance, but he would be soundly beaten.

Joe Louis by UD.
        excellent post and reasons concerning this fight..2 all time greats yes..i see it like a holmes-norton fight..louis was a schuffler like kenny with far more abilty..both relied on there great jabs to pace a fight..take the timming away of the jab larry has problems...ala the spinks fight..i see it as a triology joe taking 2 out of 3..potentialy a somewhat boring fight but with plenty of displays of genuis in defence and stategy by the 2.

Comment

id go with homes to big his jab would be in his face all night
          moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

I like this fight. It would bring out the best of both men. I wouldn't overlook Holmes. I would pick Louis but Holmes would definetly make it interesting. I think it would be good enough and close enough to warrant a rematch or a trilogy.

Comment

Louis would have thrown up from eating too many of Larry's jabs.
              moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Louis by a close UD.

Comment

Lol people i am going to warn you about Muchmore this guy was a member of the Larry Holmes boxing forum with me.This guy is a complete idiot.Just check out who he has as his top 10 heavyweights of all time.He has Frazier on the list but not Foreman even though Foreman beat Frazier 2 times.He has Tunney who was basically a light heavyweight who beat a past his prime Dempsey who is basically a cruiserweight but he doenst have Lewis.Lol i remember where i seen this list.He base his opinions on what he reads in boxing books.
                  This guy joined the Larry Holmes boxing forum right but in every post he was talking about how Tyson was the greatest fighter who ever lived and how he could knock out just about every heavyweight champion ever in the first round.Just to give you a example of how stupid Muchmore is let me give you a few examples of the dumb stuff he posted
                  1 He would say that Foreman was a bum for losing to a prime Holyfield when Foreman was 42 but then turn around and make up a excuse when Tyson lost to washed up Holyfield when Tyson was 30
                  2.He would critize Foreman for losing to Morisson when Foreman was 43 but defend Tyson for quiting on his stool against Mcbride when Tyson was 48.Who would you rather lose to people Morisson or be knocked out by Mrbride.
                  3 Here is the best one yet.He said Razor Ruddock was one of the greatest fighters of all-time.He said Ruddock was a harder puncher than Foreman and was the better fighter just to try to act like Tyson fought good fighters in his career.Then this fool said Foreman never fought anybody in his career as good as Ruddock.So i guess Frazier,Norton,Ali,Lyle,Young,Holyfield,Morisson.M oorer,and Briggs were bums based on what Muchmoore is say.
                  I am just warning you now.Most of his post will be about Tyson or how he has the greatest chin in boxing history.Or how he has the biggest heart.Or how he has the best jab ect ect ect.Your post topic could be who is better David Tua or Ike Ibeabuchi but he will bring up how Tyson could knock them both out with one punch just watch and see.

Comment

Are you ok?When did i say that Ruddock was an all time great?I may have said his power was perhaps all time great, but i never said Ruddock was. When did i ever say Foreman was a bum for losing to Holyfield?So did Larry Holmes and a good many other people.

I never said that Ruddock was better than anybody that Foreman beat. Thats completly idiotic. Frazier, Moorer, and Lyle all would have beaten him.

Why are you making all this stuff up about me? Yeah, im a Tyson fan, but i dont talk about Tyson that much...

What member are you on the LarryHolmes site?

Comment

Working...
                    X