Tyson Fury vs 90's George Foreman?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
    Is this a joke?

I remember George's comeback. while in retrospect it's easy to appreciate the accomplishment, it definitely had the feel of a circus sideshow. George's competition was carefully chosen. His celebrity ensured he could pick who he wanted.

There's nothing really exceptional about his competition: the fights w/ Qawi, Cooper and Cooney were travesties that should have never been made. They make Hopkins-Jones II forgivable.

His come-from-behind win against Moorer... but that's exactly what it was, a KO win to salvage a fight he was losing to Michael Moorer.

He lost to Tommy Morrison.

And didn't win a round against Holyfield.

So tell me, where are all these talented opponents that you're talking about? He finally tamed his wild side. But everyone know that his return wouldn't have lasted long if he'd attempted the brawling style of the 70's.

And yet we're to believe he beats the finest pure-boxer (and much bigger man) that the Heavyweight division has ever seen. enjoy that joint, bro.
    I agree with this, and its a great point. Its not finding fault with george...he matured, he came back and even put some punches together against Moore. A great story indeed, but to look at that version of George and compare him to when he was fighting at the top of his game... I don't see it.

Comment

Is this a joke?

I remember George's comeback. while in retrospect it's easy to appreciate the accomplishment, it definitely had the feel of a circus sideshow. George's competition was carefully chosen. His celebrity ensured he could pick who he wanted.

There's nothing really exceptional about his competition: the fights w/ Qawi, Cooper and Cooney were travesties that should have never been made. They make Hopkins-Jones II forgivable.

His come-from-behind win against Moorer... but that's exactly what it was, a KO win to salvage a fight he was losing to Michael Moorer.

So tell me, where are all these talented opponents that you're talking about? He finally tamed his wild side. But everyone know that his return wouldn't have lasted long if he'd attempted the brawling style of the 70's.

And yet we're to believe he beats the finest pure-boxer (and much bigger man) that the Heavyweight division has ever seen. enjoy that joint, bro.
      - -Now there you go again Rusty Boy.

One of these days when you finally matured out of your prolonged prepubescent state, you too could fill the slippers of Maxine Kellerman.

Tomorrow, a thousand eons of tomorrows and more for you in the here and now.

Comment

The Foreman that fought Holyfeild is the best match up.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          I agree with this, and its a great point. Its not finding fault with george...he matured, he came back and even put some punches together against Moore. A great story indeed, but to look at that version of George and compare him to when he was fighting at the top of his game... I don't see it.
          I hate dumping on fighters. I have had to step away from coaching because of work and kids, but even seeing young men poor their heart out on the mat or in training inspires me deeply. So I hope it's clear I am not here to say bad things about men who literally risked their lives and families' well-being by entering the ring. I just see people say ridiculous things - things they don't even wish to substantiate - and that gets me mad. sometimes it might appear I'm trying to ***** on a fighter but really my target is an inconsiderate comment.

I really appreciate you taking notice of my efforts not to criticize George (whom I respect TREMENDOUSLY as a person), just temper a misinformed comment.

Comment

I hate dumping on fighters. I have had to step away from coaching because of work and kids, but even seeing young men poor their heart out on the mat or in training inspires me deeply. So I hope it's clear I am not here to say bad things about men who literally risked their lives and families' well-being by entering the ring. I just see people say ridiculous things - things they don't even wish to substantiate - and that gets me mad. sometimes it might appear I'm trying to ***** on a fighter but really my target is an inconsiderate comment.

I really appreciate you taking notice of my efforts not to criticize George (whom I respect TREMENDOUSLY as a person), just temper a misinformed comment.
            With George, because he came back on a mission, and was not in the horrendous situation that great fighters who are broke, find themselves... it is easy to think of him in a different light. When one looks at Louis against Marciano, needing to fight to pay the IRS, as fans it is horrible to see.

George came back because he wanted to do so and it was an interesting ride. But people tend to think that because of this difference in George's will to fight at an advanced age, that he was a great fighter with different, new attributes. This is not so... and anyone who thinks it through, and watched George's second coming could see that he was fighting on cunning, the ability to use his girth to his advantage, and needed to conserve a lot of energy to do so. And yes, he had the will and cunning to remarkably catch Moore... Prime Foreman would do a worse number on Moore I suspect lol.

He was a great fighter with tremendous ability in his prime, and it is a bit of an insult to Big George to compare that prime with his second effort.

Comment

Let's see your scorecard.

Seriously, you run your mouth all the time. Let's see you step up and substatiate that filth your spew.

I remember that fight. George exceeded expectations and many of Holyfield's other opponents. But he definitely didn't emasculate Holyfied... he was too busy getting his ass kicked.
              - -Soft lad tuff talk behind his behind, eh?

Field post George performances and record poor like Tyson and Ali and soon to be you. What you don't know could fill a universe.

Comment

fury would win a wide decision against that version of foreman

Comment

Is this a joke?

He certainly won a few rounds against Holyfield. One judge had it by 3 rounds; the other two by 5 and 7...
                  Last edited by Sugarj; 07-02-2019, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Wilder head hunted and whiffed on dozens of punches yet still dropped Fury twice.

Foreman was more accurate, knew how to go to the body, and was cagier when it came to setting traps. I say he wears down Fury and eventually sets up a punch that Tyson doesn't get up from.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      Wilder head hunted and whiffed on dozens of punches yet still dropped Fury twice.

Foreman was more accurate, knew how to go to the body, and was cagier when it came to setting traps. I say he wears down Fury and eventually sets up a punch that Tyson doesn't get up from.
                      Good analysis.
                      And that's why the "original" Tyson [Mike] refused to fight even the old Foreman. That says a lot.

Comment

Working...
                      X