No announcement yet.

Am I losing it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I losing it?

After reading one of those old Duran threads that got bumped, I went and watched some video of his on youtube and there was some guy arguing that he couldn't understand how Duran got the decision in the first Leonard fight. He argued that Leonard landed all the clean punches, was the effective aggressor and took all the rounds through the last third of the fight i.e. 10-15 while Duran just faded and did nothing.

I had a bit of a giggle and said "How does that work? It's pretty clear that Duran won 10-13, give or take and that round 13 was a microcosm of that whole fight" being that Duran landed the cleaner, harder punches, controlled the fight and won it going forward and backward, in that round anyway.

Then I was told that he had Leonard winning that round as did two of the three judges and that I was clearly blind. I rewatched it, then rewatched it again, and again. All I see is Duran beating Leonard, especially in that round, quite clearly. Not only does he land a few brutal shots with the left hook, straight right etc, but then when Leonard pushes him back against the ropes and tries to be the aggressor Duran beats him fighting off the ropes, catching him with short shots to the body and head. The only thing close in that round is the last 20 seconds when they trade shots and Leonard gives as good as he gets landing some nice hooks and some excellent body shots. Still, it probably equalled about one shot to every five for Duran.

The round starts at 5.00 exactly. Duran catches him with that beautiful feint combo, with the right to the body and then left hook upstairs at around 5.20 in the corner, then he slips of couple of Leonard counters. The next significant punch is a Duran left hook that catches Leonard while he is punching at about the 6 min mark. They brawl and maul a bit, with nothing major landing, then Duran lands a picture perfect lead right at 6.40, then Leonard lands his first clean punch of the round with his own lead right just after. They then trade a few punches more, with Duran getting the better shots again, though nothing major. Leonard then pushes Duran back to the ropes and tries to brawl him but gets countered and beaten beautifully off the ropes from about 7.05 to 7.15. Then they trade more or less equally to the end of the round, Duran landing maybe more shots but Leonard lands a lot of good clean shots too.

How do you guys see this? I can't honestly understand anyone saying this could be a Leonard round, but with two judges giving it to him plus some dude on youtube saying I'm blind, I thought I need to see if I'm mistaken?

Is it a case of Leonard's flashy combos making people think he was actually landing or were they just missing the better, more consistent work of Duran? I'm lost.

Go to 5.00

I had it 8-6-1 Duran myself. Close but, clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      I had it 8-6-1 Duran myself. Close but, clear.
      Yeah, that seems about right. I think I had a similar score except instead of an even round I had another for Duran, from memory.

What about the 13th round in particular though?

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        Yeah, that seems about right. I think I had a similar score except instead of an even round I had another for Duran, from memory.

What about the 13th round in particular though?
        Can't remember my scorecard but watching it there definitely a Duran round.

Comment

Watched this fight easily 40+ times, my favourite ever, don't think I've ever scored it once for Ray Leonard, Duran won clearly.
          Round 13 imo was pretty clearly Duran's round as well, Duran controlled the whole round and although Leonard had his patches where he looked good you don't win the round based on 10 or 20 seconds of it and even in them patches Duran nearly always came back with something as good if not better, wouldn't worry too much about what people on YouTube say.
          Last edited by NChristo; 01-09-2012, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I guess I might be losing it too, because I completely agree. There's no way IMO Leonard can be given that fight. Of course people have always been impressed by Leonard's flashy combos, regardless of whether they land or do anything.

Comment

I had Roberto winning this fight but I enjoyed Leonard putting a solid effort forward. He became a pro that night in my opinion and Roberto showed glimpses of how he fought as a lightweight. Roberto was an excellant lightweight and up to 145lbs but above that weight he used his experience to win because the body couldn't respond like it could at 145! As for Leonard he came to his fights in shape and ready to compete for the most part. Everyone involved with the Leonard career did a good job preparing him throughout his boxing time. Ray

when you have Mr. Brown and Mr. Arcell in your corner and teaching you, the chances for success are pretty good. Great boxing minds!
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 01-09-2012, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                I guess I might be losing it too, because I completely agree. There's no way IMO Leonard can be given that fight. Of course people have always been impressed by Leonard's flashy combos, regardless of whether they land or do anything.

That's called the "Calzaghe"

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                  That's called the "Calzaghe"
                  haha

i agree though, duran especially took this round, and i thought the fight. then again, i am not a boxing judge, and scoring is extremely subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                    After reading one of those old Duran threads that got bumped, I went and watched some video of his on youtube and there was some guy arguing that he couldn't understand how Duran got the decision in the first Leonard fight. He argued that Leonard landed all the clean punches, was the effective aggressor and took all the rounds through the last third of the fight i.e. 10-15 while Duran just faded and did nothing.

I had a bit of a giggle and said "How does that work? It's pretty clear that Duran won 10-13, give or take and that round 13 was a microcosm of that whole fight" being that Duran landed the cleaner, harder punches, controlled the fight and won it going forward and backward, in that round anyway.

Then I was told that he had Leonard winning that round as did two of the three judges and that I was clearly blind. I rewatched it, then rewatched it again, and again. All I see is Duran beating Leonard, especially in that round, quite clearly. Not only does he land a few brutal shots with the left hook, straight right etc, but then when Leonard pushes him back against the ropes and tries to be the aggressor Duran beats him fighting off the ropes, catching him with short shots to the body and head. The only thing close in that round is the last 20 seconds when they trade shots and Leonard gives as good as he gets landing some nice hooks and some excellent body shots. Still, it probably equalled about one shot to every five for Duran.

The round starts at 5.00 exactly. Duran catches him with that beautiful feint combo, with the right to the body and then left hook upstairs at around 5.20 in the corner, then he slips of couple of Leonard counters. The next significant punch is a Duran left hook that catches Leonard while he is punching at about the 6 min mark. They brawl and maul a bit, with nothing major landing, then Duran lands a picture perfect lead right at 6.40, then Leonard lands his first clean punch of the round with his own lead right just after. They then trade a few punches more, with Duran getting the better shots again, though nothing major. Leonard then pushes Duran back to the ropes and tries to brawl him but gets countered and beaten beautifully off the ropes from about 7.05 to 7.15. Then they trade more or less equally to the end of the round, Duran landing maybe more shots but Leonard lands a lot of good clean shots too.

How do you guys see this? I can't honestly understand anyone saying this could be a Leonard round, but with two judges giving it to him plus some dude on youtube saying I'm blind, I thought I need to see if I'm mistaken?

Is it a case of Leonard's flashy combos making people think he was actually landing or were they just missing the better, more consistent work of Duran? I'm lost.

Go to 5.00

Yep, round 13 was a Duran round for me!

Leonard finished the last 20 seconds well, but it would take a very inexperienced judge to sway him the round.

I'm surprised all three judges gave that one to Leonard. That said it was his Montreal homecoming.......and even experienced judges have been known to sway towards the home fighter.

At the end of the day the right man won!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X