Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: McCrory Hopes To Take Dehydration Issue To WBC Convention

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: McCrory Hopes To Take Dehydration Issue To WBC Convention

Former IBF cruiserweight titlist Glenn McCrory has revealed that he felt close to death while making weight for a world title defence in the hope of once again highlighting the dangers of cutting weight by squeezing water out of your diet.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Glad Glenn is raising it. The dehydration issue in boxing is terrible. Same morning weigh in's wont work as people will still be trying to cut and gain an advantage and just have less time to rehydrate. Literally the only thing I can think of is that the fighters have to be under the weight 1hour before they fight or they get fined / lose titles / the fight gets called off. That way you'll be getting people fighting at their natural weight classes and hopefully be the same weight when they fight.

Comment

Originally posted by lefthooklead View Post
      Glad Glenn is raising it. The dehydration issue in boxing is terrible. Same morning weigh in's wont work as people will still be trying to cut and gain an advantage and just have less time to rehydrate. Literally the only thing I can think of is that the fighters have to be under the weight 1hour before they fight or they get fined / lose titles / the fight gets called off. That way you'll be getting people fighting at their natural weight classes and hopefully be the same weight when they fight.
      I agree wholeheartedly. However as you say, virtually every single fighter (excluding heavyweights and the likes of GGG, Loma, Rigo) will be moving up a division or 2. Hell Chavez jr. will need his own weight class above heavyweight!

We could always scrap weight classes, I'd love to see someone like Derek Chisora win the minimum weight title!

Comment

Great comment lefthooklead. Such a tough one. Even if they moved weigh in to literally happen right before the bell, I bet some boxers would still fight dehydrated, as they’d still perceive advantages in terms of height/reach etc. Perhaps weigh ins also needs to measure hydration (with instruments/physician examination). Test 1: is weight within the limit? Test 2: is fighter hydrated? So tough though...not sure what answer is.

Comment

Originally posted by scarybodyshot View Post
          I agree wholeheartedly. However as you say, virtually every single fighter (excluding heavyweights and the likes of GGG, Loma, Rigo) will be moving up a division or 2. Hell Chavez jr. will need his own weight class above heavyweight!

We could always scrap weight classes, I'd love to see someone like Derek Chisora win the minimum weight title!
          LOL “eeee glassed me, the midget glassed me”

Comment

I don't think anything should be changed regarding the weigh-in procedure, I just believe that trainers and coaches (who should be certified) should be responsible. The fighters weights should be recorded and signed off by the coaches every day in the run up to the fight, also their water intake (this is standard procedure at the top level any way). This information should be given to the sanctioning body and organisation at the weigh in. Any fighters shown to be cutting too much weight in the run up should not be allowed to fight, simple as that.

Trainers that put their fighters through damaging weight cuts and dehydration should face bans and such.

Comment

Ah no! Nobody is forcing you to do that. If you are willing to risk your life for a competitive advantage which alot of fighters do then that's one you. It's fine and dandy in your 20s after that you are really risking your life. Just move up to your realistic fighting weight. That's it. If you 6'2 and your walking around weight is 200lb and you are trying to squeeze into super middleweight then that's a problem. I am not staying you should be fighting at crusier but be realistic your weight class should be at least light heavyweight. Hey some ppl can get away with it. You can tell when somebody is cutting weight to make it into smaller weight class.

Comment

I think it would be better to see fighters fight on weight. Maybe they should be within a few pounds a month before and be weighed weekly in the build up. Even if it was just to encourage boxers not to bloat between fights it would be a good thing. BJS has looked fat since the Lemieux fight so I’m expecting him to be poor against a bum in his next fight.

Comment

If a boxer is killing himself to get down to a weight class,then that's not really his weight class. Fight at a weight where your body feels comfortable,and fight guys your own size,instead of squeezing down and having an advantage on the smaller guys.

Comment

For the good of the sport & in all fairness, the only way forward is with regular monitored weigh in's which, include same day testing. "If you can't make the weight then move up"!!..

Comment

Working...
                    X