Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training in high altitude good or bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training in high altitude good or bad?

Well the myth I have been pondering is whether or not training in high altitude is better for you or not.

The theory is that at high altitude, your lungs will be FORCED to be more efficient and therefore WILL be more efficient in soaking up Oxygen after training properly for a long time.

Is this true, or is this just a myth? (Like drinking piss helps you win fights)

Freddie Roach said that one of Mannys problems with training in Baguio for Cotto is that the altitude is high. If training in high altitude is good, why is it a problem?

perhaps he gets winded more quickly and cant train as long.

you would need to train in high altitude for a while before you would notice a diffrence. and there would be4 a period of tim before you could start training all out due to altitude sickness

though the diffrence would only be a 3-5% improvement.

its supposed to increase EPO naturaly (the stuff tour de france guys dope with) this epo increases the production of red blood cells allowing for more Oxygen to constantl be in your blood along with that there are new capiliarys that are grown allowing the blood cells more places to go and the ability to get there faster aswell as other things like lactic acid threshold and atp re-synthysis. where as the epo the tour guys use uisnt really regulated and your not creating more veins so whiel your bikeing your bloods flowing but once you stop you have too many red blood cells you blood becomes thick like syrup and you die.

Comment

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
      perhaps he gets winded more quickly and cant train as long.

you would need to train in high altitude for a while before you would notice a diffrence. and there would be4 a period of tim before you could start training all out due to altitude sickness

though the diffrence would only be a 3-5% improvement.

its supposed to increase EPO naturaly (the stuff tour de france guys dope with) this epo increases the production of red blood cells allowing for more Oxygen to constantl be in your blood along with that there are new capiliarys that are grown allowing the blood cells more places to go and the ability to get there faster aswell as other things like lactic acid threshold and atp re-synthysis. where as the epo the tour guys use uisnt really regulated and your not creating more veins so whiel your bikeing your bloods flowing but once you stop you have too many red blood cells you blood becomes thick like syrup and you die.
      How long is a while?

And hey, 3-5% is pretty big considering Pac has brilliant stamina.

When you said your blood can turn syrupy do you literally mean like syrup? Like...your blood can be confused for syrup because of its thickness?

O_O

Comment

Originally posted by Sandro17 View Post
        How long is a while?

And hey, 3-5% is pretty big considering Pac has brilliant stamina.

When you said your blood can turn syrupy do you literally mean like syrup? Like...your blood can be confused for syrup because of its thickness?

O_O
        well with daily training 4-8 weeks

it could be kinda big over a long time but for a 10 min mile its only 18-30 seconds faster

yeah syrupy maybe more like katsup but thats only when you use synthetic EPO aka Dopeing. stuff can almost double your red blood cell count and when your rideing you bike for 100+ miles it dosnt matter but when you stop your hearst not pumping as hard everything gets clogged

Comment

Isn't it (high altitude training) also supposed to help your V02 Max .. the maximum amount of oxygen your body can take in?

Comment

well it causes your body to create EPO (Erythropoietin) which causes your body to create red blood cells. red blood cells are what carries oxygen . so yes it increases your oxygen density.

Originally posted by Ylem View Post
            this epo increases the production of red blood cells allowing for more Oxygen to constantl be in your blood

Comment

Well here I donīt have much choice as Quito is 9300 feet (2850 metres), and the gym set on a hill overlooking the city. Really I couldnt say if the altitude is a benefit or not, I am not competing or training much lately just doing weights. But the Cubans must believe that training at high altitude helps because they send the national team here to train at our gym before the Olympics and world titles, I think they stay about 6 weeks. Maybe it is pyschological? or maybe it just works the system that little bit harder for a variety in training.

I think if there is any benefit it wears off soon enough. If you are competing at high altitude it obviously helps, some people get migraines or throw up when the arrive here, takes a while to get used to it. Now I dont notice anything when I run or train but then again it is all I have been used to for the past 4.5 years.

BTW If anyone is thinking of coming to Quito on vacation and wants to train at altitude see my sig. The training is similiar to the Cuban training.
              Last edited by Trrmo; 09-25-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

high altititude is always good for boxing... ever woner why mexico city boxers are so damn good without trying that fukin hard or even physically that gifted.

Comment

Working...
                X