No announcement yet.

One hit wonders of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One hit wonders of boxing

I was listening to some sports radio the other day and they were talking about the ultimate one hit wonders in all of sports. The guys they came up with were pretty lame and I thought the ultimate one hit wonder in ALL OF SPORTS is Buster Douglas for obvious reasons.

This got me thinking, who are some other one hit wonders in boxing? Guys that came out of no where and beat a star, a legend, only to fade away just as quickly as they came to the top.

Billy Backus.

Comment

Leon Spinks is kinda a big one.
      Rubin Carter
      Frankie Randall
      Last edited by NChristo; 02-07-2012, 07:03 PM.

Comment

recent times prescott and Quintana

Comment

James was actually a pretty good prospect because of his size and coordination. He had a tuff life as a kid and that added to his inconsistance, outside life has alot to do with successes. He also had about 40 pro fights prior to Tyson so he wasn't exactly a one shot wonder and he was picked as an easy mark but he TRAINED for the fight hard and they were willing to stand in front of Mike and step to him then back him up! You bully the bully and they usually panic, even the ones that are pretty good. Tyson trained like a dog because he trained himself and that never works!! Good for James Buster Douglas he demolished the bad ass bully and did it after he took some good shots too, a great win! Ray

Ruben Carter???
          Last edited by Ray Corso; 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            James was actually a pretty good prospect because of his size and coordination. He had a tuff life as a kid and that added to his inconsistance, outside life has alot to do with successes. He also had about 40 pro fights prior to Tyson so he wasn't exactly a one shot wonder and he was picked as an easy mark but he TRAINED for the fight hard and they were willing to stand in front of Mike and step to him then back him up! You bully the bully and they usually panic, even the ones that are pretty good. Tyson trained like a dog because he trained himself and that never works!! Good for James Buster Douglas he demolished the bad ass bully and did it after he took some good shots too, a great win! Ray

Ruben Carter???
            yeah I know buster was decent but for the most part no one really knew who he was and while he had a couple decent wins like over Trevor Berbick, he was ko'd a few times once by Tony Tucker and by a couple no names. He was in the land of obscurity as far as I'm concerned. In modern day comparisons it would have been like Tony Thompson knocking out Klitschko. Us hardcore fans know who Thompson is but for the rest of the world no one knows him. He's a decent fighter but not world class.

Comment

kirkland laing...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post

Ruben Carter???
                He got his huge win in Griffith (Forgot about Ellis fight) and did nothing after, one (two ?) hit wonder.
                Last edited by NChristo; 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                  He got his huge win in Griffith (Forgot about Ellis fight) and did nothing after, one (two ?) hit wonder.

Probably because he was in prison for a crime he didnt commit...

Comment

Originally posted by El.Naranjito707 View Post
                    Probably because he was in prison for a crime he didnt commit...
                    Just look at his record, he was on his way down when he was arrested.

I lived a few blocks away from the murder. I knew Carter and Artis and even went to the court house to report on the case when I was in high school in Paterson.

Here's the real story, not the one you saw in the movies.

http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/index.html
                    Last edited by hhascup; 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X