No announcement yet.

Weight training for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight training for boxing

Before anyone pipes up, i've used the search tool and have read alot about this subject. Problem is, there's so many different people with so many different opinions that it's confused the sh it out of me. You get the people who believe lift heavy with less reps, those who say lift light with more reps and then the people who, for some reason, believe weight training is bad for boxing. Can someone who actually KNOWS what they're talking about (not think they know what they're talking about, KNOWS) please shed some light on this for me?? At the moment i'm 79kg, but i can get down to 72-73 so i don't mind putting on a few kg's of muscle to get back up to 75.

Thanks in advance

CAB

Originally posted by CymruAmByth View Post
    Before anyone pipes up, i've used the search tool and have read alot about this subject. Problem is, there's so many different people with so many different opinions that it's confused the sh it out of me. You get the people who believe lift heavy with less reps, those who say lift light with more reps and then the people who, for some reason, believe weight training is bad for boxing. Can someone who actually KNOWS what they're talking about (not think they know what they're talking about, KNOWS) please shed some light on this for me?? At the moment i'm 79kg, but i can get down to 72-73 so i don't mind putting on a few kg's of muscle to get back up to 75.

Thanks in advance

CAB
    I wan't to know about this too. Anyone who knows, come on lets hear it.

Comment

boxers have allways used weights both heavy and light from sparring partners, to heavy bags, to push ups , to pull ups, to gloves, to medicine balls, to situps.

theres no need to go out and lift heavy with low reps or light with high reps, just train.

if you really want to gain some muscle, look into plyo, like sprinting intervals, clap push ups, depth jumps, medicine ball throws, jump squats, ect before you look into lifting free weights at a weight gym.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
        boxers have allways used weights both heavy and light from sparring partners, to heavy bags, to push ups , to pull ups, to gloves, to medicine balls, to situps.

theres no need to go out and lift heavy with low reps or light with high reps, just train.

if you really want to gain some muscle, look into plyo, like sprinting intervals, clap push ups, depth jumps, medicine ball throws, jump squats, ect before you look into lifting free weights at a weight gym.
        Not the kind of reply i was looking for but thanks anyway. I've been looking at med. ball workouts and plyometrics. Think i'm gonna buy a couple when i get paid.

Comment

Not the kind of reply i was looking for but thanks anyway. I've been looking at med. ball workouts and plyometrics. Think i'm gonna buy a couple when i get paid.
          if youve used the search feature and the tens of hundreds of the exact same thread hasnt given you the answer you looking for....chances are 1 more thread isnt going to do it either.

Comment

if youve used the search feature and the tens of hundreds of the exact same thread hasnt given you the answer you looking for....chances are 1 more thread isnt going to do it either.
            No harm in trying.

Comment

No harm in trying.
              too many cooks spoil the soup

Comment

too many cooks spoil the soup
                The soup sucked anyway

Comment

If you wanna gain mass, lift heavy. if you're looking to get toned and defined you either do high reps or circuit train. I use to train a boxer years ago and I have have do high reps of the exercise were doing then without rest he would grab some 5lbs weights and shadow box for 2 mins. He really enjoyed the training and said he wad able to bully and out power his opponents. Make all your moves explosive.

Comment

Originally posted by JHAVIS View Post
                    If you wanna gain mass, lift heavy. if you're looking to get toned and defined you either do high reps or circuit train. I use to train a boxer years ago and I have have do high reps of the exercise were doing then without rest he would grab some 5lbs weights and shadow box for 2 mins. He really enjoyed the training and said he wad able to bully and out power his opponents. Make all your moves explosive.
                    Sorry, i should have made this clearer in my first post. It's speed and power i'm looking to gain, not muscle. I was merely saying that i didn't mind gaining a bit

Comment

Working...
                    X