Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWSFLASH:Toney is a draw in primetime...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWSFLASH:Toney is a draw in primetime...

NEWS FLASH
    More boxing on BDSSP?
    FOX Sports is planning to look into presenting more boxing on its "Best Damn Sports Show Period" show. The fight between James Toney and Rydell Booker, which was shown live to the east coast and on tape delay on the west coast, produced a rating of .62 (more than triple BDSSP's .19 Thursday night average in the 3Q 2004 to-date). The program's rating increase is more impressive considering the stronger competition faced last Thursday night (new episodes of Apprentice, Survivor, CSI along with college football featuring Miami on ESPN) compared to summer reruns earlier this 3rd quarter.
    Monday, September 27 2004

That's good for boxing.....

Comment

That would be cool if they showed more top tier boxing on BDSSP. I liked the fact that they had no commercials during the fight.

Comment

James Toney is keeping boxing alive

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreat1
          James Toney is keeping boxing alive
          I think thats a weee bit of an overstatement

Comment

That's definitely an overstatement.

But it's a good sign for boxers who may not be ready for or still good enough for, HBO or Showtime or PPV.

I would have liked to have seen Bowe's first fight back but it wasn't televised. Fox Sports should look into name guys fighting without TV cameras around - and be the ones to televise.

Rahman's "tune-ups" were only available on tape-delayed Ballroom Boxing and I have since dumped my Sports Pak on directv.

Network TV has had mild success, too, with their weekend afternoon NBC telecasts.

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933
              That's definitely an overstatement.

But it's a good sign for boxers who may not be ready for or still good enough for, HBO or Showtime or PPV.

I would have liked to have seen Bowe's first fight back but it wasn't televised. Fox Sports should look into name guys fighting without TV cameras around - and be the ones to televise.

Rahman's "tune-ups" were only available on tape-delayed Ballroom Boxing and I have since dumped my Sports Pak on directv.

Network TV has had mild success, too, with their weekend afternoon NBC telecasts.
              NBC put on some pretty stellar rookie shows in the past year with considerable ratings...I remember one show with bojado pulled in a 1.0 rating which is pretty good especially at the time slot they were put in...

Boxing would be a bigger and better sport if it was on primetime and not always on pay to view channels such as hbo/showtime/ppv...

If they would televise live fights of good fighters not these bar room brawlers with 4-14-4 records, more people would tune in....

The way fox sports promoted the fight throughout the week by having big boxing guests the weighin and post conferences helped a lot.

Most people dont get that at all even for ppv fights most weighins and post conferences wasnt aired.

What Best Damn sports show period did for boxing was great and I wouldnt mind seeing it again.

Boxing needs a broadcast channel to air fights.

My god remember usa's tuesday night fights they put on some great showings their.

Hopkins
              Tua
              Ruiz(hehe)
              Byrd

Other decent names...Boxing needs that.

Comment

I didn't even get to see that fight live, they had Braves/Reds baseball on here, and I had to watch the fight on tape delay at midnight.

I the the best damn sports show should continue showing boxing, because its a great idea and has good ratings-- but just don't promote the thing and then show me a meaningless baseball game at the time of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
                  NEWS FLASH
                  More boxing on BDSSP?
                  FOX Sports is planning to look into presenting more boxing on its "Best Damn Sports Show Period" show. The fight between James Toney and Rydell Booker, which was shown live to the east coast and on tape delay on the west coast, produced a rating of .62 (more than triple BDSSP's .19 Thursday night average in the 3Q 2004 to-date). The program's rating increase is more impressive considering the stronger competition faced last Thursday night (new episodes of Apprentice, Survivor, CSI along with college football featuring Miami on ESPN) compared to summer reruns earlier this 3rd quarter.
                  Monday, September 27 2004
                  very nice

I hope they put more boxing on

Comment

Originally posted by QueenCity
                    I didn't even get to see that fight live, they had Braves/Reds baseball on here, and I had to watch the fight on tape delay at midnight.

I the the best damn sports show should continue showing boxing, because its a great idea and has good ratings-- but just don't promote the thing and then show me a meaningless baseball game at the time of the fight.
                    If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I believe all the Fox Sports Net channels are somewhat independent, kind of like, Indianapolis's Channel 4 is WB. But if the Pacers play a monday night game, 7th heaven is pushed back to after the news. I'm thinking that these channels can choose to have local interest programming live and have permission to tape-delay the national event.

People with the sports pak on directv probably could have seen the fight for the "first time" half a dozen different times by the time different time zones came into play. I don't think the west coast showed the event at 5 pm did they? I know it was 7 pm our time.

Comment

Working...
                    X