Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do most of boxing's super fights now only exists in our imagination?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do most of boxing's super fights now only exists in our imagination?

I mean so obviously we had Mayweather vs Pac, but many think that ended with Pac getting KO'd by Marquez. The thing that bugs me is that boxing fans seem to be using this as an excuse to claim Mayweather is the better fighter. It's like Mayweather claimed some imagination victory over Pac so that makes everything okay.

Likewise we just watched Price vs Fury crumble, and now rather than lamenting on the fact we just lost a big fight people are using David's loss to someone unrelated to Fury as proof that Fury would have won. So everybody compensates for it by taking it as a victory for Fury even though he did nothing whatsoever.

Then we had others like say losing out on a Klitchsko fighting Valuev or Ruiz. Not great fights but pretty good compared to some of the others. Basically Wlad and Vitali tried to make these fights but they fell apart, so it doesn't matter because Wlad and Vitali claim the moral victory. Rather than having two semi decent names for their record they claim the moral victory in imagination land.

I feel like we're not so much following a sport here but keeping track of a number of different variables and what if situations. I'd still like to see Price vs Fury, May vs Pac just so we don't have to keep keep a chart of opponents to to figure out who would beat who.

Are you kidding me? I mean, we just had Broner vs Rees, JLeon vs Findley and how can we forget K9 vs Ishe Smith with a very dramatic ending. Super rights right there.

PS Pac vs Mayweather was never gonna happen even before the KO loss.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Wasnt Chavez jr vs canelo an option for a while?

Comment

Because triangle theories rule the world and undefeated records claim the crown.
        Last edited by SlySlickSmooth; 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

It is pretty annoying that some of these fights didn't happen like Pac vs May. I blame both guys for not fighting each other three years ago. Marquez beating Pac the way he did does kill a Pac Vs Mayweather fight right now.

It doesn't mean that Mayweather automatically beats Pac if they fight because styles make fights but I still would favor Mayweather in this fight right now. Like 65% to 35% in Mayweather favor.

The best fights can't be made because TR+GBP= no fight and sometimes their fighters fight under the same promoter and we still can't get these fights to take place. Like JuanMa vs Gamboa Bob waited to long to make that fight as well GBP with Matthysee vs Garcia. Just because they want to show their loyalty to Amir Khan so he can get a rematch with Garcia.

Boxing so sad when it comes to these match ups. We can't even have a Boxing EA sports Video Game with Mayweather vs Pac on it Lol

Comment

If by super fight you mean fighters having enormous amounts of hype surrounding them coupled star power & ppv revenue then absolutely yes.

PPV's are going to continue, boxing fans are gonna continue to be force fed hypejobs & the stupid boxing fans are gonna continue to be dry toned & love every second of it.

But if you have any sense & don't by crap ppv's & look at what a fighter actually does in the ring (& who they actually fight), there are plenty of super fights out there. The biggest example of the ultimate super fight is Corrales-Castillo 1. There is no ppv that could ever match that fight.

Comment

Mayweather is the proxy king. Marquez's KO victory over Pac sealed Mayweather's legacy as an all time great!

Mayweather won both 2012 fighter of the year and KO of the year. What a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                If by super fight you mean fighters having enormous amounts of hype surrounding them coupled star power & ppv revenue then absolutely yes.

PPV's are going to continue, boxing fans are gonna continue to be force fed hypejobs & the stupid boxing fans are gonna continue to be dry toned & love every second of it.

But if you have any sense & don't by crap ppv's & look at what a fighter actually does in the ring (& who they actually fight), there are plenty of super fights out there. The biggest example of the ultimate super fight is Corrales-Castillo 1. There is no ppv that could ever match that fight.
                a super fight is like the super bowl-the majority of sports fans are paying attention to it. Thats not going to happen if the fight has fighters that haven't gotten the attention of casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
                  I mean so obviously we had Mayweather vs Pac, but many think that ended with Pac getting KO'd by Marquez. The thing that bugs me is that boxing fans seem to be using this as an excuse to claim Mayweather is the better fighter. It's like Mayweather claimed some imagination victory over Pac so that makes everything okay.

Likewise we just watched Price vs Fury crumble, and now rather than lamenting on the fact we just lost a big fight people are using David's loss to someone unrelated to Fury as proof that Fury would have won. So everybody compensates for it by taking it as a victory for Fury even though he did nothing whatsoever.

Then we had others like say losing out on a Klitchsko fighting Valuev or Ruiz. Not great fights but pretty good compared to some of the others. Basically Wlad and Vitali tried to make these fights but they fell apart, so it doesn't matter because Wlad and Vitali claim the moral victory. Rather than having two semi decent names for their record they claim the moral victory in imagination land.

I feel like we're not so much following a sport here but keeping track of a number of different variables and what if situations. I'd still like to see Price vs Fury, May vs Pac just so we don't have to keep keep a chart of opponents to to figure out who would beat who.
                  the whole appeal of the floyd/manny fight to those outside of boxing was manny not losing as he climbed the ranks-just as floyd had done. And, while triangle theories don't work, style matchups do. Most people saw floyd demolish JMM and have seen JMM in close fights with manny and they saw the KO.

Most experts agree floyd's style would be even more problematic for manny because foyd is bigger, stronger, faster, and better than JMM. SO floyd didn't get a win over manny because JMM KMTFO. But it did reduce the draw and significance of a manny/floyd fight because many people dont think Manny would beat floyd based on the style matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
                    a super fight is like the super bowl-the majority of sports fans are paying attention to it. Thats not going to happen if the fight has fighters that haven't gotten the attention of casual fans.
                    There you have it. If a super fight is like the superbowl, there hasn't been 1 in over a decade.

A superfight nowadays consisted of Pacman or Floyd fighting some guy they're supposed to beat anyway & the corny fans acting like either guy parted the Nile river.

Comment

Working...
                    X