Was J.C Chavez Senior top ten all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not quite. somewhere around 13-16

Comment

I wouldn't say top ten but his resume outweights todays lot in my opinion.

Comment

Just think of Robinson, Louis, Ali, Armstrong, Langford, Moore, Charles (best LH ever and H Ch.), Duran and we’re already almost all the way to 10. No. But there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s in the top 20…

Comment

Originally posted by danthepoetman View Post
          Just think of Robinson, Louis, Ali, Armstrong, Langford, Moore, Charles (best LH ever and H Ch.), Duran and we’re already almost all the way to 10. No. But there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s in the top 20…
          How about (in no particular order).....

Benny Leonard
          Ray Leonard
          Pernell Whitaker
          Joe Gans
          Roy Jones
          Eder Jofre
          Charley Burley
          Marvin Hagler
          Jimmy Wilde
          Willie Pepp
          Carlos Monzon
          Alexis Arguello
          Bob Fitzsimmons
          Carlos Ortiz
          Sandy Sadler
          Salvador Sanchez
          Jeff Chandler
          Pascual Perez
          Kid Gavilan
          Barney Ross
          Jimmy McLarnin
          Thomas Hearns
          Emile Griffith
          Antonio Cervantes
          Wilfred Benitez
          Jose Napoles
          Bernard Hopkins
          Harry Greb
          Holman Williams
          Mickey Walker
          James Toney
          Mike McCallum
          Michael Spinks
          Archie Moore
          Gene Tunney
          Ricardo Lopez

Just off the top of my head. See the kind of competition you're looking at when you're talking top-20 or even top-50 p4p all-time? Who do you drop to get Chavez in? And the thing is, I'm probably leaving out a number of names worthy of consideration simply because I'm tired and can't think of any more at the moment.

Poet
          Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 08-04-2012, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Poet, Chavez was one of the two best fighters in the world for close to 10 years. A 4 division champion (let’s make it two for what things were like in the past). He also was the most active champion of his era by far, and went 86 fights without a defeat. He was one of the best body punchers ever and is very probably the best Mexican fighter ever. He has beaten amongst many others Ruben Castillo, Roger Mayweather, Juan Laporte, Rocky Lockridge, Sammy Fuentes, Rafael Limon, Mario Martinez, Greg Haugen, Hector Camacho, Edwin Rosario, Jose Luis Ramirez, Meldrick Taylor (yes! he did!). Do I think he should fit in there? …yeah! I do.
            In my opinion, Chavez should be ranked at the bottom of a top 20. For argument’s sake, I could accept to see him at 25 or maybe even at 30, but I think it’s ridiculous to give in for that present fashion in denigrating the accomplishment of that great champion. That’s one thing I don’t like with us, boxing fans, at times: I find we’re a bit too fast on criticizing people who have given us so much passion at such a high price. I suggest we don’t do that for Julio Cesar Chavez, and not anymore for any great champion.
            Besides did you intended to say Bob Fitzimon was better? really?
            Last edited by danthepoetman; 08-04-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by danthepoetman View Post
              Poet, Chavez was one of the two best fighters in the world for close to 10 years. A 4 division champion (let’s make it two for what things were like in the past). He also was the most active champion of his era by far, and went 86 fights without a defeat. He was one of the best body punchers ever and is very probably the best Mexican fighter ever. He has beaten amongst many others Ruben Castillo, Roger Mayweather, Juan Laporte, Rocky Lockridge, Sammy Fuentes, Rafael Limon, Mario Martinez, Greg Haugen, Hector Camacho, Edwin Rosario, Jose Luis Ramirez, Meldrick Taylor (yes! he did!). Do I think he should fit in there? …yeah! I do.
              In my opinion, Chavez should be ranked at the bottom of a top 20. For argument’s sake, I could accept to see him at 25 or maybe even at 30, but I think it’s ridiculous to give in for that present fashion in denigrating the accomplishment of that great champion. That’s one thing I don’t like with us, boxing fans, at times: I find we’re a bit too fast on criticizing people who have given us so much passion at such a high price. I suggest we don’t do that for Julio Cesar Chavez, and not anymore for any great champion.
              Ok, now, there was nothing in my post denigrating Chavez. I'm simply pointing out how stacked a top-20 to top-50 really is. For some reason it seems to fashionable to see a ranking of fighter someone likes as "dissing" said fighter by not ranking them in a bracket suitably high enough for that fan's liking. The truth is, there's a lot of competition for those top-20, top-50, top-100 slots. Are you going to denigrate the accomplishments and abilities of those fighters you drop? That's a pretty stacked list I gave. Everyone of those fighters has a legit claim for top-20 to top-50 status. Given how great those fighters are how is it somehow shameful to Chavez for any of those names to be ranked ahead of him?

Poet

Comment

As a 140 lber, of course. In terms of overall, for any weight class? He isn't in the top 10. A lot of his greatness is based on longevity. Chavez definitely has his share of important names on his resume. But not enough to make him a top 10 guy. A lot of his wins came against so so contenders. Maybe not altogether bad fighters, but not guys who were special. He deserves his legendary status though.

Comment

Working...
                X