No announcement yet.

When is it OK to duck a fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is it OK to duck a fighter?

I know most will say never and rightfully so but at a certain point in a fighters career there are opponents out there that are to high risk, very low reward. Take for instance Miguel Vasquez and Carlos Molina, if a fighter beats one of these guys chances are they looked bad doing so and will be questioned in their victory, if they lose, theyd never live down losing to a feather fisted boxer. So is it OK to duck or avoid fighters like this?

If you are undefeated and most of your marketability is based on that, then you're allowed to duck, well not so much duck, as pick out the opponent that best suits the risk/reward element that comes into play. You start off good, look promising, maybe even win a few titles. But when you get to making 8 figure paydays each time out, you have to be careful because one loss could mean the end of those 8 figure paydays.

Same goes for team sports. You'll see a guy tear it up for the first several years of his career, and then get the big multi-year, 100 million plus contract, and then some of those guys play to not get injured and get paid.

It's how sports is, at the end of the day, it is a job, a business. There's money to be made, not just for the athlete, but promoters, networks, cornermen, officials, sanctioning bodies. So you do what you gotta do to keep the money flowing and keep the illiusion up that you're in it for the sole purpose of winning.

The prospects of millions and millions of dollars, extremely dillutes ones passion to excel at something.

Comment

When you are old and well past your prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
        This right here

Comment

Originally posted by Simurgh View Post
          If you're old and past your prime you should retire. If you're still considered one of the best you should be fighting other top rated fighters.

The only time its ok to duck a top challenger is when you've already beaten him as champion and there are stronger fighters to fight. For instance, there was no need for the second Wlad-Thompson fight. I would have been fine with Wlad taking on another top 10 contender.

Comment

When you've climbed to the top of the pfp mountain and considered 1 of the sports best.

Here's a few examples.
            Ward
            Floyd
            Martinez
            Pacman

All have climbed the mountain & started ducking.

Comment

NEVER. You want to duck its time to retire.

Comment

When you have no other choice, like promotional differences.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Its NEVER a good idea to duck. If you want to duck, just GTFO out of the game then. If you in the top five, the expectation is to fight fellow top five, top ten fighters. I also expect the fights that paying customers demand and honest attempts at making them. I realize its a business, but by that token, I'm a stakeholder in this business. Most fans who know the game can see by the BS. If a Broner vs Vasquez gets made, chances are that Broner doesn't look all that compelling because Vasquez is A). a quality boxer and B). fights at an awkward style so there is that assumption that it'll be a close, competitive fight where the winner may not look great, but get the win. If you are looking spectacular in EVERY fight, then guess what...you are fighting inferior competition and not stepping up.

I can't support duckers...fight the best in your class or go away

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    If you're old and past your prime you should retire. If you're still considered one of the best you should be fighting other top rated fighters.

The only time its ok to duck a top challenger is when you've already beaten him as champion and there are stronger fighters to fight. For instance, there was no need for the second Wlad-Thompson fight. I would have been fine with Wlad taking on another top 10 contender.
                    I agree it's for the best to retire. But I won't blame Holyfield for trying to squeeze some $$ and not be badly beaten by Price for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X