Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was RJJ too fast at MW to be beaten by anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed isn't everything. I could show you many fights where the slower fighter won (George Foreman's whole record, basically). Besides, we don't know how fast or powerful Jones would have been without the aid of steriods.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      people on here won't admit it but Roy was too fast at 160, 168, or 175. He beats anyone at least 7/10 and I thin the only guys who would even get 7/10 odds are Monzon and Hopkins
      175? No way, there are guys that would spark him. I wouldn't be comfortable betting on anyone against him at 160- 168 though but it doesn't mean I don't think some fighters (for example Hagler) have a chance.
      Last edited by res; 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

No. Hagler and Monzon still would've gotten to him.

Comment

ROy Jones would beat Marvin Hagler by decision yeah I said it

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor
            Realistically, we all know he yo-yo'd his weight and then lost his magic reflexes a touch - exposing his B grade chin. But at 160 until 175 (for a time), he was so ridiculously fast as to make me wonder if he could be beaten. Esp refers to MW where he was super quick.

I know MW is a GREAT division with so much history, but against prime RJJ - who would catch him to beat him, or KO him. I just cant see it. Even GOAT SRR would struggle to catch that RJJ.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Roy fought about 15 pro bouts as a Middle. His best win was probably against Castro who was a veteran fighter on the fade! Roy was fast and on the move as a Middle but he developed into a good fighter after he grew out of the class! He fought light hitters and no one who sustain any pressure. His best weight was 168 to 175!! At 160 I doubt he'd fair well against Hagler, although Hagler would have promblems with Roys speed!
              If your going to look at Roy as a Middle you need to remember he was a "green" fighter he wasn't the thinker that he developed into passed the middleweight limit. Ray.

Comment

any1 hating on rjj in his prime is a straight idiot he was super quick and skilled fair anough when he came back down from heavyweight he lost it all but carried on like a muppet getting koed but back in his hayday he was basically unstoppable

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                  175? No way, there are guys that would spark him. I wouldn't be comfortable betting on anyone against him at 160- 168 though but it doesn't mean I don't think some fighters (for example Hagler) have a chance.
                  Roy's power and speed carried to 175 and he was just as dominant so what is the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Roy fought about 15 pro bouts as a Middle. His best win was probably against Castro who was a veteran fighter on the fade! Roy was fast and on the move as a Middle but he developed into a good fighter after he grew out of the class! He fought light hitters and no one who sustain any pressure. His best weight was 168 to 175!! At 160 I doubt he'd fair well against Hagler, although Hagler would have promblems with Roys speed!
                    If your going to look at Roy as a Middle you need to remember he was a "green" fighter he wasn't the thinker that he developed into passed the middleweight limit.
                    You think Castro is a better win than Hopkins? Also the whole Roy was "green" at 160 is simply narrative. Roy was the same dominant fighter at 160 as he was his entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                      Roy's power and speed carried to 175 and he was just as dominant so what is the difference?
                      The difference is he'd be facing harder hitters. I'm far more confident with his chin at MW, SMW than i am at Light heavy.

Comment

Working...
                      X