Can David Tua Win The World Title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can David Tua Win The World Title?

Hey All

Ive Been away For Awhile But i THought Id Throw This Q out there, David Tua Has always had the potential To Be The Heavyweight Champion,

I Watched His Fight With Cameron and Was impressed , i Am Not Sure How Far He Will Go, But One things for sure, Id Hate To Be The Champion That Got Hit With a couple of those Left Hooks

Thoughts?

He can if he gets the lucky draw (a title fight against the Valuev-Haye-Ruiz trio) but I don't like his chances against the Klitschko brothers outside of that big left hook landing.

Comment

vitali would give him the lewis' treatment but he has a chance vs wlad(a punchers chance I'll add).valuev would have a 16" height advantage & a 16" reach advantage but that medicine ball head would be a big target for the left hook.it's interesting to see him in the picture again.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
        vitali would give him the lewis' treatment but he has a chance vs wlad(a punchers chance I'll add).valuev would have a 16" height advantage & a 16" reach advantage but that medicine ball head would be a big target for the left hook.it's interesting to see him in the picture again.
        Vitali or Wladimir would beat him more impressively than Lewis did.

Comment

i would wish him to win the heavyweight title, but i think he cant do this against valuev or klitschko, he has great skills but they are all to big for him

Comment

If David Haye wins a title, Tua can go after him. He actually might have a good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
              Hey All

Ive Been away For Awhile But i THought Id Throw This Q out there, David Tua Has always had the potential To Be The Heavyweight Champion,

I Watched His Fight With Cameron and Was impressed , i Am Not Sure How Far He Will Go, But One things for sure, Id Hate To Be The Champion That Got Hit With a couple of those Left Hooks

Thoughts?
              I believe Tua is no longer a formidable world title contender.

Comment

No... David Tua is very overated and has failed everytime he has stepped out of Class C opposition

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  No... David Tua is very overated and has failed everytime he has stepped out of Class C opposition
                  Its not his fault he was outboxed by a slicker Byrd or that he didn't have the reach and the height to beat Lewis. He still proved he was a decent boxer in the fights with Ibeabuchi and the second Rahman fight.

Comment

It was good to see him back to some half decent form. Admittedly, Cameron is not a top class opponent. But he's also not a tomato can either, and Tua made him look like one. David Tua has been one of the most frustrating boxers this decade. It got to the stage that I didn't even bother reading about him, even though I'm a fan of his. I'm sure lots of other people have felt the same way these past few years.

This is the first genuine glimmer of hope since his inactivity after the second Rahman fight. He looked a lot like the old Tua: much sharper and faster than he has been in years, almost like he found his hunger again; that old explosiveness. If he's serious about having another go at a World title - and trains the same way he did for the Cameron fight - I think he could get that far again in this weak division.

It looks as though there might be some difficulties in getting top fights due to contract obligations, so we can only hope they can get someone reasonably good to see where Tua is at. I think a third fight with Rahman makes sense as it could settle old scores and give Tua a big enough name on his record to make a case for him challenging for a title. He at least needs to be active. Even if everything does work out well for Tua, and he does take his training very seriously, there is still a big question mark over his ability to fight a skilled boxer. With his chin and power, he will always have a chance, but if he ever came up against the Klitschkos, the obvious worry would be that it would be Lennox Lewis all over again. Has he learned anything new? There was a bit of upper body movement in the Cameron fight, but he'll need a lot more than that.

I think the version of Lewis he fought was even better than any version of the Klitschkos. But that being said, they're not far behind. I think Wladimir could lack the sort of composure Lewis had against a little aggressive tank like Tua. That would be the hope for Tua. Some people have said if Tua had other trainers he could have done better. I doubt that. I don't think there's an awful lot more he could have done. He didn't have that sort of agility and quickness on his feet Tyson had. He was capable of a very high punch output in his earlier days though. He'll need to do that to become champ.
                    Last edited by paul750; 10-08-2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X