No announcement yet.

I sparred today for the first time properly

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sparred today for the first time properly

I feel that i was shocking but im a very harsh critic of myself, my trainer and people watching said i was decent for a starter and that my fitness is surprisingly good as my opponent was gasping for air while i could carry on for a few more rounds.
    My opponent has been boxing since he was twelve, but took a long time out, he had sparred before as well.

Got caught with a few shots early and i forgot myself and steamed in but i quickly remembered and went back to boxing. As the boy tired i started taking over slipping his punches and catching him with my jab. At the start of the third round he was more or less done and i caught him with a jab to the body which sent him back to the ropes, as soon as my trainer called it off.

I think I have a fair bit of work to do before my first fight which is meant to be in january, as a friend of mine said i turn away from the punches a fair bit (didnt think it was much of a problem as i kept my right hand up), also i got in trouble for pawing at his jab with my left hand (bad habit i have picked up from watching boxing) and for bursting out laughing mid way through a round.

Originally posted by £for£ Champ View Post
    I feel that i was shocking but im a very harsh critic of myself, my trainer and people watching said i was decent for a starter and that my fitness is surprisingly good as my opponent was gasping for air while i could carry on for a few more rounds.
    My opponent has been boxing since he was twelve, but took a long time out, he had sparred before as well.

Got caught with a few shots early and i forgot myself and steamed in but i quickly remembered and went back to boxing. As the boy tired i started taking over slipping his punches and catching him with my jab. At the start of the third round he was more or less done and i caught him with a jab to the body which sent him back to the ropes, as soon as my trainer called it off.

I think I have a fair bit of work to do before my first fight which is meant to be in january, as a friend of mine said i turn away from the punches a fair bit (didnt think it was much of a problem as i kept my right hand up), also i got in trouble for pawing at his jab with my left hand (bad habit i have picked up from watching boxing) and for bursting out laughing mid way through a round.
    First fight in january and you only started sparring now? Sounds way too quick for me.

Whats ya height, age, weight? Good job the worst is always the first time you spar.

Comment

If ya keep turning your back, the ref will stop the fight, so it is a problem.

Comment

hmm first fight in jan. and you only just started sparring

sounds odd but i guess if you get some real good sparring in the next few months you could do it

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
          hmm first fight in jan. and you only just started sparring

sounds odd but i guess if you get some real good sparring in the next few months you could do it
          Its not that odd. I fought after sparring for about 2 months. Thats plenty of time for your first fight unless your really bad at boxing.

Comment

Im 6ft, 11.5 stone and 20 years old i have been training since last december but got properly serious ie my own road work in july/august.

i dont turn my back i turn away ie my arm faces my opponet its not a full turn.

january is a preliminary date ie its something to work towards but if i dont look like im ready i wont fight, i found that telling myself i will have a fight in jan makes me work harder in the gym.

one thing i need to remember is staying calm in the ring as i seem to be in too much of a rush, i need to slow down and relax, if i could video i would but i doubt my trainers would allow it

Comment

I used to have that problem of rushing in aswell. I find its really just a matter of doing the hours, after a while you can start to think logically about nullifying their offense, and attacking at the right time instead of all the time.

Comment

update:
                im not 6ft im 5'10/5'11
                today sparring i had mixed fortunes i fought with a guy who was meant to be pretty fast but it didnt seem like that to me i caugfht him a few times made his mouth bleed and he was generally easier to hit then i fought againts an 85kg guy, went alot worse i spent all my time chasing him down got caught coming in and when i was throwing was reduced to wild over hand rights which in throwing, i followed all the way through and ended up looking at the ground which pissed my trainer off. in exactly the last second i finally landed a meaningful jab that actually had an effect.
                Im really pissed off with my second performance and it takes the gloss off my first.

im pretty harsh on myself but i think i need to do some out of gym work, maybe with my brother, to get the kinks out

Comment

Originally posted by £for£ Champ View Post

Bull****. I have never seen anyone do anything even remotely resembling slipping during their first time sparring.

Common sights include turning your back. Sticking your hands out and closing your eyes. Generally looking like a queer in a wet paper bag.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    Bull****. I have never seen anyone do anything even remotely resembling slipping during their first time sparring.

Common sights include turning your back. Sticking your hands out and closing your eyes. Generally looking like a queer in a wet paper bag.
                    lol slipping was the wrong word dodging is more accurate but althought it was my first time sparring i had been training on off since like december. i didnt close my eyes though but like i said i was looking at the ground and turning my head away from punches

Comment

Working...
                    X