• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Bunce rips Doug Fischer VID

Haha Buncey is the best

Comment

Was that Anorak? LOL

It seems Mr. Bunce has an axe to grind against internet writers and Americans. He seems very nationalistic.

I don't find anything wrong with Fischer's line of questioning regarding moving up to 112, particularly since Calderon has gotten into the business of walking the tight-rope in search of bigger money fights. If he's willing to go up to 112 in search of Nonito Donaire, who is about to make $250,000 for fighting a no-namer in Mthalane or Omar Narvaez who is a local draw in Argentina. Both of those fights would earn the aging Calderon bigger paydays than anything he'd find at 108-pounds. Donaire is a dangerous fight because he's really a 115-pounder but Narvaez isn't a puncher so it's not far-fetched to see that fight happen.

I agree that Calderon is a small 108-pounder, but why would this Mr. Bunce want him to fight Cazares again? How many rounds does Calderon have to win to prove he is superior? Is he Cazares' booking agent? What, it's OK to fight a melted down bantamweight at 108 but not a solid 112-pounder?

If you're going to bust on someone, at least have a reasonable refutation, if not it just makes you look petty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Revenge View Post
        Was that Anorak? LOL

It seems Mr. Bunce has an axe to grind against internet writers and Americans. He seems very nationalistic.

I don't find anything wrong with Fischer's line of questioning regarding moving up to 112, particularly since Calderon has gotten into the business of walking the tight-rope in search of bigger money fights. If he's willing to go up to 112 in search of Nonito Donaire, who is about to make $250,000 for fighting a no-namer in Mthalane or Omar Narvaez who is a local draw in Argentina. Both of those fights would earn the aging Calderon bigger paydays than anything he'd find at 108-pounds. Donaire is a dangerous fight because he's really a 115-pounder but Narvaez isn't a puncher so it's not far-fetched to see that fight happen.

I agree that Calderon is a small 108-pounder, but why would this Mr. Bunce want him to fight Cazares again? How many rounds does Calderon have to win to prove he is superior? Is he Cazares' booking agent? What, it's OK to fight a melted down bantamweight at 108 but not a solid 112-pounder?

If you're going to bust on someone, at least have a reasonable refutation, if not it just makes you look petty.

I agree with everything you just said.... TRUE!

Comment

Was that Anorak? LOL

Yeah, the anti-American stuff he comes out with sometimes is silly. I do think that the interviewer asked overly-long questions though.

And the commentators that we get are a bit **** too. HBO>Showtime>Versus>Top Rank commentators (or whoever they are).

Edit: Just watched the vid. There were more questions on the original broadcast, including one where Doug explained that Calderon once fought someone in the AMs or something like that.
          Last edited by Clegg; 09-11-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdubb863 View Post
            I agree with everything you just said.... TRUE!
            Thank you, it just bothers me when people denigrate others with an ocean between them and no platform to defend themselves.

Comment

Was that Anorak? LOL

Solis is a bigger draw then Omar Navarez imo. Navarez is very unproven.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                Yeah, the anti-American stuff he comes out with sometimes is silly. I do think that the interviewer asked overly-long questions though.

And the commentators that we get are a bit **** too. HBO>Showtime>Versus>Top Rank commentators (or whoever they are).
                Isn't Bunce the one who was taking all of Hopkins' verbal abuse on the set of a photo shoot, then spoke bravely about the incident in the comfort of a television studio?

On the topic of commentators, there are TV commentators and there are boxing commentators. TV commentators are basically anyone who has a communications degree and then gets assigned to a certain beat they aren't very knowledgeable about but know how to keep a broadcast moving. They do so by exercising many cliches and basically just narrating what they see in front of them.

A boxing commentator is someone who knows the sport and can make intelligent commentary on topic. Guys like Max Kellerman, who I have grown fond of as a commentator over the years though was once an ardent detractor, Doug Fischer, who paid his dues on MaxBoxing and knows the sport about as well as anyone, Larry Merchant, a bit judgmental but sticks to his guns well.

HBO's production quality is second to none, so their commentators are going to benefit from that. After that I'd list ESPN2, followed by Showtime, FoxSports, Versus. I can't really rate any commentators that are hired through promoters because you don't know how much the promoter's interests interfere with the commentary. Certainly they'd be less inclined to trash the house fighters, wouldn't they?

I've never paid attention to a Setanta broadcast but I admire their dedication to boxing. To live on another continent and to be able to not only see, but hear others debate obscure smaller fighters like Calderon is very novel. I'd just like to see a guy like Bunce involved in an open discussion rather than ranting about nationalism and other forms of discontent without retort.

Comment

Originally posted by warp1432 View Post
                  Solis is a bigger draw then Omar Navarez imo. Navarez is very unproven.
                  In America, yes.

But if the fight is staged in Argentina, the house promoter will have the responsibility of making a significant monetary offer to the foreign fighter to come there, where Narvaez is a huge star. He's an undefeated flyweight champion, former Olympian who attracts big audiences domestically.

You think Americans and other fighters go to places like Germany to fight because they want to tour Berlin? No way, they're lured there by huge paydays. There is money in taking the show on the road.

Comment

Isn't Bunce the one who was taking all of Hopkins' verbal abuse on the set of a photo shoot, then spoke bravely about the incident in the comfort of a television studio?

On the topic of commentators, there are TV commentators and there are boxing commentators. TV commentators are basically anyone who has a communications degree and then gets assigned to a certain beat they aren't very knowledgeable about but know how to keep a broadcast moving. They do so by exercising many cliches and basically just narrating what they see in front of them.

A boxing commentator is someone who knows the sport and can make intelligent commentary on topic. Guys like Max Kellerman, who I have grown fond of as a commentator over the years though was once an ardent detractor, Doug Fischer, who paid his dues on MaxBoxing and knows the sport about as well as anyone, Larry Merchant, a bit judgmental but sticks to his guns well.

HBO's production quality is second to none, so their commentators are going to benefit from that. After that I'd list ESPN2, followed by Showtime, FoxSports, Versus. I can't really rate any commentators that are hired through promoters because you don't know how much the promoter's interests interfere with the commentary. Certainly they'd be less inclined to trash the house fighters, wouldn't they?

I've never paid attention to a Setanta broadcast but I admire their dedication to boxing. To live on another continent and to be able to not only see, but hear others debate obscure smaller fighters like Calderon is very novel. I'd just like to see a guy like Bunce involved in an open discussion rather than ranting about nationalism and other forms of discontent without retort.
                    Yeah, that was Bunce.

He's a decent guy most of the time, but does tend to come out with stupid comments on a semi-regular basis. I remember him saying something stupid about American heavyweights a while back, even though the UK guys are in even worse shape. He's created a bit of a persona for himself. He used to talk differently a bit a lot more sensible.

I agree with you about Top Rank. For Pavlik-Taylor 2, one of the commentators was Ray Mancini, who was as pro-Pavlik as you'd expect.

The UK journalists tend to be biased along national lines. My favourite UK commentator is Barry McGuigan, but even he can overrate certain people. Johnny Nelson is perhaps the strangest one, as he is also biased along weight division lines; he has Haye P4P #2, and JC Gomez #10.

You've probably seen it already but...what a strange list.
                    http://www.skysports.com/experts/exp...766359,00.html

Comment

Working...
                    X