No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Ends Golden Boy Relationship, Passes on Broner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP View Post
    Question is how much of a difference does boxing make in a network's total subscriber base.

We're about to find out really soon.
    Me personally, I'm still not subscribing to Showtime simply because I prefer HBO's "Overall" programming beyond Boxing. If I were ordering Showtime it would ONLY be for Boxing, and that in itself is kinda stupid. It won't be Mayweather that drives people to Showtime because he'll never fight live on Showtime more than Fight Camp 360 being aired there, but again...why subscribe to Showtime JUST for that when you can see it on CBS for free?
    Some say Broner going to Showtime is going to be huge, but if HBO overall is the bigger Cable network with more subscribers, it's not as if Showtime is going to kill HBO's numbers in comparison because they're still lacking the amount of subscribers in comparison to HBO.

I like both Boxing programs equally, but I'm getting more bang for my buck with HBO.

Comment

R.I.P. HBO boxing, it was fun while it lasted.

At least we don't have to debate on "which boxing network is better" anymore.
      Last edited by UTEP; 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

It's disappointing. But it's not really surprising. HBO may have just made it official but it's clear as day Golden Boy had little to no interest in working with HBO themselves and were slowly maneuvering their fighters elsewhere. Ever since one of their guys became the head of Showtime sports they've been all Showtime. Still, disappointed in HBO for making it official, but there's an issue here and a simple timeline will show you where it stems from. Smh at how far this **** has went.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
          HBO is killing their brand from a boxing standpoint.

The ONLY thing HBO really has going for them at this point is Lampley/Kellerman/Jones Jr/Merchant/Lederman. Those guys are what REALLY makes the HBO brand. Nothing else.

The Showtime commentators are perfectly capable of calling fights, but they always come off as 2nd tier to the HBO guys.

You can't replicate Lederman's "OK Jim..."

or Roy Jones subtle one ups on the other guys opinions because he's boxed and they haven't.

Lampley's random comments and antics

Kellerman's EXTREMELY insightful comments and analysis.

The HBO guys and their chemistry is special and endearing. No matter how good the action is in the ring or who is in the ring, Showtime fights never feel quite as major to me for these reasons.

Boxing needs a dictatorship...I hate this ish.
          You're joking right? The only thing Kellerman is good at is recalling old fights. He should be a boxing historian and not an announcer.

Comment

i do worry about hbo putting their trust in bob arum. bob is gonna do what bob wants to do and if hbo doesn't like it, he'll just do a top rank ppv. top rank is gonna need to be willing to work with all the other promoters and put on the best matchups for this to work.

if hbo is gonna have less live boxing b/c of this i hope they make up for it with other things like another legendary nights series or something new.

Comment

So TR and GB effectively have their own networks. This just worsens the state of boxing.

This is absolutely pathetic from HBO from a business standpoint. Hershman should be fired imo...he never did anything over at showtime for years and now you can expect see HBO Boxing go downhill too.

Comment

I remember when HBO and GBP worked very closely with each other and HBO ended up losing money cuz their fights sucked and didn't sell ****

Same thing is gonna happen here, SHO and GBP don't know how to promote fights and build a fighter into a PPV star

This is just a short list on the stars Top Rank has built from scratch

Muhammad Ali, Alexis Argüello, Oscar De La Hoya, Roberto Durán, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Manny Pacquiao, Sugar Ray Leonard, Floyd Mayweather Jr., Erik Morales, Thomas Hearns, Paulie Ayala, Iran Barkley, Michael Carbajal, Larry Holmes, Ray Mancini, Carlos Monzón, Terry Norris, Gabriel Ruelas, Rafael Ruelas, James Toney, and many others.

This is a list of stars GBP has built from scratch

NADA

Comment

SHO still feels like a B network compared to HBO. Production wise, HBO still got the game on lock. And when was the last time Showtime actually had a boxing PPV anyway??

Comment

Aside from 24/7, HBO boxing is so wack now

Comment

Originally posted by R1DG3Z View Post
                      SHO still feels like a B network compared to HBO. Production wise, HBO still got the game on lock. And when was the last time Showtime actually had a boxing PPV anyway??
                      You'll probably be asking yourself that question regarding HBO in a few months. Pac won't be clear to fight until the end of the year. Showtime has the Floyd PPV in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                      X