Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why do people think tyson is so overrated.........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do people think tyson is so overrated.........

i dont think he is

Maybe because the quality of opponents he fought on the way up and the fact that he lost his title by KO to a top tier journeyman and that KO went unavenged. Plus, after his KO at the hands of Holyfield and the humiliating DQ loss, he defeated no fighters of note (Golota, Saravese, Williams etc.) for the rest of his career.

I acknowlege his strengths and weaknesses and people are entitled to their own opinion, but I do think that his fans tend to overrate him far too much. At the same time, people who dislike him underrate him grossly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Imira
      Maybe because the quality of opponents he fought on the way up and the fact that he lost his title by KO to a top tier journeyman and that KO went unavenged. Plus, after his KO at the hands of Holyfield and the humiliating DQ loss, he defeated no fighters of note (Golota, Saravese, Williams etc.) for the rest of his career.

I acknowlege his strengths and weaknesses and people are entitled to their own opinion, but I do think that his fans tend to overrate him far too much. At the same time, people who dislike him underrate him grossly as well.
      i think you are right

Comment

Originally posted by Imira

I think Imira has summed this up superbly, Tyson FOR ME was a good Champion, I do not think he should be classed as an all time top five great however!

Yes in the mid eighties he destroyed almost everything put in front of him including himself, but which were his defining fights? Holmes too old, Spinks too overated,Douglas(shouldn't have been)but he threw it away, Holyfield yes but he blew both of those fights for one reason or another and finally Lewis and to be honest if all the Tyson fans looked at this objectively Tyson was easily beaten!

People talk about past his best and too old but in reality thats an excuse both Holyfield and Lewis were of similar age to Tyson and the likes of Douglas, Williams and McBride should not have beaten him, without at least a return match to settle scores.

Its the image that has sustained Mike, he is still a celebrity and adored and revered by millions but most adore the Mike that ruled the Eighties and convieniantly dismiss and forget the rest of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton
          I think Imira has summed this up superbly, Tyson FOR ME was a good Champion, I do not think he should be classed as an all time top five great however!

Yes in the mid eighties he destroyed almost everything put in front of him including himself, but which were his defining fights? Holmes too old, Spinks too overated,Douglas(shouldn't have been)but he threw it away, Holyfield yes but he blew both of those fights for one reason or another and finally Lewis and to be honest if all the Tyson fans looked at this objectively Tyson was easily beaten!

People talk about past his best and too old
          but in reality thats an excuse both Holyfield and Lewis were of similar age to Tyson and the likes of Douglas, Williams and McBride should not have beaten him, without at least a return match to settle scores.

Its the image that has sustained Mike, he is still a celebrity and adored and revered by millions but most adore the Mike that ruled the Eighties and convieniantly dismiss and forget the rest of his career.
          You go to prison for a couple years then come out and try to stay on top of the boxing world. It ain't happening no matter who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Void
            You go to prison for a couple years then come out and try to stay on top of the boxing world. It ain't happening no matter who you are.
            He lost to Douglas before prison, Ali was stripped of his title, Joe Louis had a war to deal with they were still great champions, other fighters have had bad injuries, others have had illness, people die close to them etc etc etc, why make excuses?

It obviously affected his career but IF he had of been so good in the first place like Ali and Louis he would have regained all the titles and held onto them!

I'm not saying he was a bad fighter, he wasn't he was awesome and was a top ten all time great but in my opinion he was overated!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton
              He lost to Douglas before prison, Ali was stripped of his title, Joe Louis had a war to deal with they were still great champions, other fighters have had bad injuries, others have had illness, people die close to them etc etc etc, why make excuses?

It obviously affected his career but IF he had of been so good in the first place like Ali and Louis he would have regained all the titles and held onto them!

I'm not saying he was a bad fighter, he wasn't he was awesome and was a top ten all time great but in my opinion he was overated!
              I'm not talking about the Douglas fight. Before he went to prison he was a raging animal, he gets out of prison and he is more passive, doesn't have the killer instinct and the skills anymore. Cus dieing really ****ed him up.

Comment

Originally posted by Void
                I'm not talking about the Douglas fight. Before he went to prison he was a raging animal, he gets out of prison and he is more passive, doesn't have the killer instinct and the skills anymore. Cus dieing really ****ed him up.

OK, lets not go down this route, you believe what you want its your opinion and I'll have mine.

We all lose loved one's and a lot of us come from similar backrounds to Mike but....

If anything the memory of Cus should have inspired him to live a good life and optimise his talent not do what he did!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Baddest man on da planet
                  i dont think he is
                  well because he is heavy overated

Comment

i will admit he is a little overrated by hardcore fans but people who dont like him underrate him alot.

Comment

Working...
                    X