Comments Thread For: Boxingscene's 201 Y/E Awards: Prospect Of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Boxingscene's 201 Y/E Awards: Prospect Of The Year

By Jake Donovan

If boxing is left with a 2010 season that was best known for what didn’t take place at the top level, then at the very least it could have left us with hope and promise for the future.

It did.

While it remains a struggle to piece together all of the big fights for which the public clamors, it hasn’t slowed the flow of traffic at the prospect level.

Thanks to stateside prospect-based series on various networks, more fighters than ever before are provided with the opportunity to make a name for themselves on the way up rather than being forced to toil in obscurity while awaiting their chance at prime time exposure.

Two stood out more so than any other, to where both are on the verge of title contention.

That they have both advanced to the contender stage before year’s end perhaps challenge the criteria that goes into recognizing the best prospects in the sport.

Still, that both are still on the rise qualifies them as fighters that continue to learn while they earn.

One started out a little further back than the other yet managed to catch up before the end of the year in terms of career progress.

With that comes the…

BOXINGSCENE.COM 2010 PROSPECT OF THE YEAR – MIGUEL ANGEL ‘MIKEY’ GARCIA [Click Here To Read More]

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
    By Jake Donovan

If boxing is left with a 2010 season that was best known for what didn’t take place at the top level, then at the very least it could have left us with hope and promise for the future.

It did.

While it remains a struggle to piece together all of the big fights for which the public clamors, it hasn’t slowed the flow of traffic at the prospect level.

Thanks to stateside prospect-based series on various networks, more fighters than ever before are provided with the opportunity to make a name for themselves on the way up rather than being forced to toil in obscurity while awaiting their chance at prime time exposure.

Two stood out more so than any other, to where both are on the verge of title contention.

That they have both advanced to the contender stage before year’s end perhaps challenge the criteria that goes into recognizing the best prospects in the sport.

Still, that both are still on the rise qualifies them as fighters that continue to learn while they earn.

One started out a little further back than the other yet managed to catch up before the end of the year in terms of career progress.

With that comes the…

BOXINGSCENE.COM 2010 PROSPECT OF THE YEAR – MIGUEL ANGEL ‘MIKEY’ GARCIA [Click Here To Read More]
    I would like to see him Juanma or Gamboa, Mikey looks like way better technical boxer than both.

Comment

One fighter who I have yet seen mentioned as a candidate of prospect of the year in any website was Chris Martin. He had a breakout year this year with beating fellow prospect Chris Avalos and he went 5-0 this year.

I agree with Mickey Garcia winning it though. I just think Martin should have been in the honorable mention. I guess he didn't get any votes but nobody is mentioning him in any website. Dan Rafael did a top 25 and didn't mention him

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
        One fighter who I have yet seen mentioned as a candidate of prospect of the year in any website was Chris Martin. He had a breakout year this year with beating fellow prospect Chris Avalos and he went 5-0 this year.

I agree with Mickey Garcia winning it though. I just think Martin should have been in the honorable mention. I guess he didn't get any votes but nobody is mentioning him in any website. Dan Rafael did a top 25 and didn't mention him
        Kell Brook should also be mentioned.

Dan Rafael forgot to include Kell Brook on the list. He also accidently included Mike Jones on the list. He must have meant to include Kell Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by MXboxingfan View Post
          Kell Brook should also be mentioned.
          I think is cuz' people are seeing Kell Brook more as a contender now. But, I agree to me he is a prospect and should also be mentioned. Especially if you're going to do a top 25 list like Rafael did.

Comment

Cant wait to see Mikey Garcia take out Juan Manuel lopez!!!

Comment

mikey had a great year.I expect canelo and mikey to do big things in 2011.

Comment

Degale is better then all names mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post

Martin's omission was an editing error on my part. I originally had him listed as our Top Runner-Up before realizing that Alvarez had more votes (even though I personally disagree with his still being a prospect, but that's just me). When I made the edit, I forgot to move Martin to the Honorable Mention section.

I even did a write-up a few weeks ago pleading a case for Martin as the year's top prospect - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33960 ... I'm that much more embarrassed that the final draft excluded him, but I have since fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
                    Martin's omission was an editing error on my part. I originally had him listed as our Top Runner-Up before realizing that Alvarez had more votes (even though I personally disagree with his still being a prospect, but that's just me). When I made the edit, I forgot to move Martin to the Honorable Mention section.

I even did a write-up a few weeks ago pleading a case for Martin as the year's top prospect - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=33960 ... I'm that much more embarrassed that the final draft excluded him, but I have since fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

And, I missed the Martin article, good read I try to catch everything you do so I don't know how I missed it.

Good to see Martin get a mention. I think he was one of the most underrated prospects.

Good work.

Comment

Working...
                    X