This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Byrd ... Underrated?

Anyone else think so? His style didn't make him the most appealing boxer to networks like HBO but he was a natural middleweight going up against some of the hardest hitting, most lethal heavyweights in the world.

Nobody wanted to fight him ... he would make guys look completely silly ... it was hard for anyone to each lay a glove on him. His resume is pretty solid as well and his victory against Vitali was huge. There's a reason why he never fought Byrd again in a rematch and let Wlad take care of him. He also fought a great fight against David Tua.

He was definitely among the top 5 heavyweights of the last decade

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Anyone else think so? His style didn't make him the most appealing boxer to networks like HBO but he was a natural middleweight going up against some of the hardest hitting, most lethal heavyweights in the world.

Nobody wanted to fight him ... he would make guys look completely silly ... it was hard for anyone to each lay a glove on him. His resume is pretty solid as well and his victory against Vitali was huge. There's a reason why he never fought Byrd again in a rematch and let Wlad take care of him. He also fought a great fight against David Tua.

He was definitely among the top 5 heavyweights of the last decade
    Great post. His style is extremely underrated, BUT his weakness was always going to be against Wlad/Lewis type boxer. When you put him against come forward one dem sluggers(tua) or awkward super heavys like Vitali he will always shine.

Byrd really did figure out Vitali around the 6th round +, the myth that Vitali dominated the fight is a joke. Byrd would have won the fight and gotten robbed. It is just a styles nightmare for Vitali.

Ironically Sanders was a styles nightmare for Wlad.... and Vitali ended up fighting Sanders.... just like Wlad fought Byrd lol.

That being said, a Prime Version of Tyson would walk through him and kill Byrd. So we have to put things in perspective. I think of the k2 ERA.

We got
    Elite: Wlad
    Elite:Vitali
    World Class: Byrd
    Semi World Class:Povetkin
    Semi World Class:Adamek
    Wild Card avid Haye (h2h)

These are the six best heavys of the K2 Era. Outside of k2, even a mid 90's version of Tyson would have dominated this crop.

TBH . David Haye is actually the third best heavy of this era.. With a real shot at #2. But he just wasted the first half of his career, hopefully his 2nd half will live up to potential.

Comment

To be fair, I'd put guys like Chagaev, ibragimov, Sam Peter over Haye or in the same class

I think the best versions of any of those guys would beat Haye, especially Sam Peter

Comment

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
        To be fair, I'd put guys like Chagaev, ibragimov, Sam Peter over Haye or in the same class

I think the best versions of any of those guys would beat Haye, especially Sam Peter
        Hmm. Well maybe. I am judging Haye based on his perceived abilities. Which might mean **** all.

Sam Peter could have knocked Wlad out in that first fight with an extra 10 seconds towards the end of r9 or r10. So yes. That version could probably have kayoed Haye.

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
          Great post. His style is extremely underrated, BUT his weakness was always going to be against Wlad/Lewis type boxer. When you put him against come forward one dem sluggers(tua) or awkward super heavys like Vitali he will always shine.

Byrd really did figure out Vitali around the 6th round +, the myth that Vitali dominated the fight is a joke. Byrd would have won the fight and gotten robbed. It is just a styles nightmare for Vitali.

Ironically Sanders was a styles nightmare for Wlad.... and Vitali ended up fighting Sanders.... just like Wlad fought Byrd lol.

That being said, a Prime Version of Tyson would walk through him and kill Byrd. So we have to put things in perspective. I think of the k2 ERA.

We got
          Elite: Wlad
          Elite:Vitali
          World Class: Byrd
          Semi World Class:Povetkin
          Semi World Class:Adamek
          Wild Card avid Haye (h2h)

These are the six best heavys of the K2 Era. Outside of k2, even a mid 90's version of Tyson would have dominated this crop.

TBH . David Haye is actually the third best heavy of this era.. With a real shot at #2. But he just wasted the first half of his career, hopefully his 2nd half will live up to potential.
          He would not have always "shined" against vitali unless your definition of shine is being outboxed with ease.

The only reason Byrd rematched wlad instead of vitali was because wlad needed his belt. Byrds only hope of being vitali is hoping he gets injured which isnt much of a game plan.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
            He would not have always "shined" against vitali unless your definition of shine is being outboxed with ease.

The only reason Byrd rematched wlad instead of vitali was because wlad needed his belt. Byrds only hope of being vitali is hoping he gets injured which isnt much of a game plan.
            He clowned Vitali and made him quit.
            Vitali was on his way to quitting again against Chisora.
            Go read the daily mail uk.
            He said if it wasn't for Chisora slapping him, he would have just stop because the pain was too much.

Comment

I think so yeah, extremely skilled man, would of made some serious noise if he kept his weight down instead of giving up so much size at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by FightScorer View Post
                He clowned Vitali and made him quit.
                Vitali was on his way to quitting again against Chisora.
                Go read the daily mail uk.
                He said if it wasn't for Chisora slapping him, he would have just stop because the pain was too much.
                Thanks for tipping off your ridiculous bias. Yeah, he "clowned" Vitali. No need to take you seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post

Vits was winning the fight but he definitely wasn't doing it with ease. Most of the rounds were close and Byrd was competitive enough to back Klit up plenty of times and makie him miss more than any fighter before or since. I think Vitaly only landed 8 more punches. That alone says you're wrong considering Byrd gave up 35lbs and 8 inches in height and took the fight on 10 days notice. Vitaly should have redeemed himself by rematching him, belt or no belt. I don't know where the whole "Wlad needed that belt" thing comes from but its irrelevant. I would never pick Byrd to win, but I have no doubt Vits didn't want to look bad again and having his own fans cheering for Byrd again. And given the proper time to train that very well could have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Thanks for tipping off your ridiculous bias. Yeah, he "clowned" Vitali. No need to take you seriously.
                    A six foot tall former MW made a 6'8 SHW quit in front of his home fans. He made Vitali miss and look stupid from round 5 on ward and had Vitali backing off.
                    Larry Merchant "WOW THIS IS UNREAL, DAVID BACKING GOLIATH UP"

Vitali pretended he didn't speak English in the post fight interview to dodge Merchant's questions, promised a rematch and never fought Byrd again.

I'm sorry I didn't type out all that. I'm sorry I just decided to use the word 'clown' to describe all of the above.
                    Last edited by JAB5239; 12-03-2012, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X