No announcement yet.

Yesterday's boxers (pre-1980) would not be competitive today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday's boxers (pre-1980) would not be competitive today

Too many advances in modern sport training and nutrition have rocked athleticism. If you check the athletic olympic records at wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...en.27s_records ) all records, but one, have been set from 1980 onwards.

To think boxing as a sport, and boxers as athletes, have not improved with time would require some argument personally I have not considered.

Maybe if Ali was born today, with today's training methods and nutrition, he would be #1. Maybe not.

But comparing old timers to fighters from around the 80's till now is not fair to the athletes of old, nor to boxing. It would be as saying boxing has stood still while athletic ability in other sports flourished.

Feel free to disagree.

I think the best boxers of previous generations would still be at the best of the sport today as they have a talent for it.

Comment

With the possible exception of defensive wizards, I must say (Nicolino Locche, for example).

Comment

Comment

THis is the dumbest post Ive ever seen in my entire life.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
            THis is the dumbest post Ive ever seen in my entire life.

Yeah, sure. Because you say so.

Modern training and nutrition created Popkins, for example.

Comment

The sad thing is that a 60's heavyweight landed harder shots on Briggs than a "modern Heavy" did. If Foreman had landed that many shots on Briggs, Briggs would be dead.

Comment

wow..just wow.....i cant believe what i just read.....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
                  The sad thing is that a 60's heavyweight landed harder shots on Briggs than a "modern Heavy" did. If Foreman had landed that many shots on Briggs, Briggs would be dead.
                  So that means modern training and nutrition has not helped modern athletes, incluiding boxers, become stronger, faster, with more stamina, than yesterday's athletes.

Comment

No that is just nonsense. I truly believe the fighters of yesteryear could compete with today's fighters. I actually think the boxing talent pool has watered down.

Comment

Working...
                    X