No announcement yet.

Marciano was a scary mother****er

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marciano was a scary mother****er

We all know he was a beast in he ring, but his presence and that Tony Soprano vibe he has makes him downright terrifying.

I thought he was about to have Tony Benett whacked in this video.

That was from the show The Main Event. It was a great show that featured many movie and tv personalities and showed clips of alot of fights. It used to be on Classic sports everyday before ESPN bought them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
      We all know he was a beast in he ring, but his presence and that Tony Soprano vibe he has makes him downright terrifying.

I thought he was about to have Tony Benett whacked in this video.

Seemed like an observant professional of the game in this interview to me. I remember coming across this a while back.

Comment

Here is a very early television appearance from Rocky after he beat Ezzard Charles. (Colgate Comedy Hour 1954)

If anyone would like me to upload a vob of this clip let me know. PM me if you want it for your collection and I'll upload it.

Comment

He has presence, but to me he sounds like every other guy I knew from that era and area so I can't find it scary at all. If I'm not mistaken though, the little tune he does at the end of this clip was also in the opening wedding scene in " The Godfather".

Comment

He was like a vicious tiger inside the ring but a gentleman outside. There were a lot of fighters like that such as Holyfield, Foreman and Jones jr. etc...

Comment

Off topic, but i have heard Rocky's workout regimen was insane. I copied this clip from a guy who was in the know about his legendary workout regimen.

Rocky (someone once said) was addicted to exercise like some people are addicted to drugs.
              He had a 'special' bag made - 300lbs ! (He figured after 300 lb. bag training he could move 200 + lb. heavyweights around.)

He liked to run uphill in training (full speed) and then run backwards back down. Did this over and over. (I've noticed in fight films of Rocky, he dips very low, he did this because he was short and made himself even shorter thus making him a harder target. But notice those tree-trunk legs also when he's comming back up from the low dip. those legs were strong and I think he used that to help him generate power comming back up.)

Sometimes Rocky went shoulder deep in a swimming pool and threw hundreds of underwater punches.

Jogged 6-7 miles every morning.( His uncle,Charlie Piccento, said he even did this on Christmas mornings as well.) Ben Bently, Rocky's press agent, said after signing for a fight he would increase to 9-10 miles. And then the last week before a fight he would increase 12-15 miles. And all this in hilly country!

Was also like a Monk - He secluded himself from wife and family sometimes up tp 3 months before a fight, watched his diet, weight and muscle tone. A week before a fight he would see no mail, take no calls, meet no new acquaintances, not even shake hands (I assume so as not to catch the flu-?) or go for a car ride, and no new foods.

Archie moore - "...he just had more stamina than anyone else in those days. He was like a bull with gloves."
              Roland LaStraza - "I would throw a hard punch, then he would throw a hard punch. The diffrence was that Rocky would throw 10 more. He just never stopped throwing punches."
              Rocky was a fit and tough dude. He would have made a Spartan blush in shame

Comment

Working...
              X