No announcement yet.

Converting to southpaw!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to southpaw!!!

I'm converting to southpaw. I'm right handed and do everything with my right hand even started boxing in orthodox but for some reason when I spar going southpaw I don't get hit as much and love my right hand hook( my strong hand).

I still get out of balance here and there tho but I'm gonna stick with it. My coaches think I have good form and power when I'm southpaw so it's given me more reason to switch.

Anyone converted southpaw's here?

I would tell you that this is a horrible idea, but I doubt you'd listen if I did.

Comment

yea horrible terrible idea and your not packaiao stop trying to be one... and even if u take gallons of steroids ud still suck...

Comment

Plenty of well known elite amateur and pros are converted southpaws and vice versa, lefties who fight orthodox. I'd say stick to orthodox but if you want to, don't be a switch hitter, pick one side and get it down. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Yuricane View Post
          yea horrible terrible idea and your not packaiao stop trying to be one... and even if u take gallons of steroids ud still suck...
          I'd knock you the spark out puto.

Comment

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
            Plenty of well known elite amateur and pros are converted southpaws and vice versa, lefties who fight orthodox. I'd say stick to orthodox but if you want to, don't be a switch hitter, pick one side and get it down. Good luck
            You have a dominant hand for a reason, and it's not just some sort of physical thing you can overcome, it's how your brain and balance function as well. As for the guys who have converted and still done well, that doesn't prove anything, because they likely would've done just as well if not better had they stayed an orthodox fighter because that's what their body is geared to.

As for your left hand being faster right now and getting stronger by the day, of course it is, but if you continue favoring it as your dominant hand you're going to eventually end up in the same place as you were before, likely with less natural ability aiding you.

Bottom line: You want to fight your body on top of your opponent, go right ahead, but I'm telling you it's a stupid idea and you're going to see decreased performance in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by -PITO- View Post
              I'm serious I feel like I get hit a heck of alot more when in orthodox. I think it has a lot to do with my sparring partner not being familiar with my southpaw stance than my defense itself because I believe there's only one southpaw in our gym( well in and around my weight ). Yeah I'm definitely going to stick to one, guess I'm gonna have to experiment.
              Last edited by johncods; 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
                I'd knock you the spark out puto.
                Not if he stays away from your right hook, because that's the only shot you're knocking anybody out with as an awkward ass newly-converted southpaw.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to tell you how stupid this is, you'll learn your lesson when you spar with someone capable and they put your Pac-Man wannabe ass on the canvas.

Comment

Originally posted by VolumePuncher View Post
                  I would tell you that this is a horrible idea, but I doubt you'd listen if I did.
                  If i get my ass kicked in the coming sparring sessions I'll definitely switch back. tnx for the comment tho.

Comment

Originally posted by johncods View Post
                    I'm serious I feel like I get hit a heck of alot more when in orthodox. I think it has a lot to do with my sparring partner not being familiar with my southpaw stance than my defense itself because I believe there's only one southpaw in our gym( well in and around my weight ). Yeah I'm definitely going to stick to one, guess I'm gonna have to experiment.
                    Okay, now I'll be nice again.

Answer the following questions:

1.) How experienced is your sparring partner compared to you, what's the size difference between you two, and are they orthodox or southpaw? The reason I ask about experience is because if they're not used to fighting southpaws, they're most likely going to get clowned regardless of actual skill or ability.

2.) What are you getting hit with most frequently and what situations are you having trouble in?

Comment

Working...
                    X