No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kal Yafai: Whatever Hearn Throws at Me, I'll Take It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kal Yafai: Whatever Hearn Throws at Me, I'll Take It

HOT prospect Kal Yafai is a man in a hurry as he bids to become Britain’s best bantamweight.

Yafai has seven straight wins as a pro and Birmingham’s rising star is aiming to land the British title within the next 12 months.

His latest win came when Mexican opponent Gonzalo Garcia failed to come out for the fifth round last week and he is now being lined up for a busy year.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He should fight Martin Ward next, maybe a couple of eight-rounders after that, and then towards the end of the year target Haskins and then Jamoye for the European title. Yafai is going places.

Comment

Josh Wale looks a good fight at some point for Yafai though I'd stay away from Jamoye for the time being, the Belgian is probably a bit too good for the next 12 months.

Yafai though should be looking to moving in to the world rankings. It's perhaps a shame that Bantamweight it's self, especially at world level, is very tough with Yamanaka, Moreno, Santa Cruz (even if he's not staying their for long), Ruiz, Kameda, Singyu and Rungvisai. Even on the fringes of world level you have guys like Iwasa, Ceja, Santillan, Demecillo.

Yafai can run to through the British level guys, and maybe even get close to Jamaoye by the end of the year, but let him walk when he reaches European level and not run or he'll end up coming undone against an opponent with the experience to punish his mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
        He should fight Martin Ward next, maybe a couple of eight-rounders after that, and then towards the end of the year target Haskins and then Jamoye for the European title. Yafai is going places.
        I heard it's Martin Ward next.

I like the look of Yafai but I'm still not completely sold on him.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          I heard it's Martin Ward next.

I like the look of Yafai but I'm still not completely sold on him.
          I get what you mean, Billy Joe Saunders-style of conundrum. But he has the tools, and not many people do.

Comment

Difficult to match at the moment I suppose.

But he probably could go up to British and European level very quickly. Otherwise he is just knocking people over fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
              I get what you mean, Billy Joe Saunders-style of conundrum. But he has the tools, and not many people do.
              It's just in his last fight he struggled needlessly. Not sure on whether he was injured or not but he didn't show any more sides to his game, he's just walking in and trying to blow 'em away.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                It's just in his last fight he struggled needlessly. Not sure on whether he was injured or not but he didn't show any more sides to his game, he's just walking in and trying to blow 'em away.
                I know what you mean. I think he might be getting a little carried away with his power but what he has to realise is there's more to his game than just the power and the body shots. He puts his punches together well and has good hand speed. Of course he is still only 7 fights old and has A LOT to learn. The next 12 months should be used to build him up to British level then may be look at European. The world scene at bantam and super bantam is terrific and if he works hard, develops as a boxer and remains tough, he'll make a name for himself.

Comment

Working...
                X