Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the reason blacks were dominant back then.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shit Threads FTW!

Comment

I think it's the lifestyle.Boxing has ended up just like hip hop.In the 80's & 90's if u couldn't freestyle & U said a bunch of garbage,U weren't really paid much attention to.But now,u can make a song about just buying a Cadillac throw some D's on that b!tch & sell a million.So with the black boxer making that cheddar,they care more about lifestyle flashy (swagger) than fighting for respect.Mosley,B-Hop & the Punisher are old school in mentality.But Floyd & Boner are a perfect example of swag 1st,boxing somewhere behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegan101 View Post
        ^^^^this guy knows boxing, I mean he has in-depth knowledge about the sport we love.
        Black people are never leaving boxing so how can a racist like you really enjoy the sport.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
        I think it's the lifestyle.Boxing has ended up just like hip hop.In the 80's & 90's if u couldn't freestyle & U said a bunch of garbage,U weren't really paid much attention to.But now,u can make a song about just buying a Cadillac throw some D's on that b!tch & sell a million.So with the black boxer making that cheddar,they care more about lifestyle flashy (swagger) than fighting for respect.Mosley,B-Hop & the Punisher are old school in mentality.But Floyd & Boner are a perfect example of swag 1st,boxing somewhere behind that.
        Floyd and Broner are not comparable and I dont no when that comparison became popular but it holds no weight. Floyd rarely showboats in the ring and especially not if he's losing. Yall need to do some research on Floyd's career before you disrespect it by comparing it to Broner. I see people keep bringing up SRR too. If you really look at Sugar Ray's career he was more Floyd-like outside the ring than anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by -The Game- View Post
          Not really...IMO, that argument can only really be applied to Cuba.....because Cuba were a lot more dominat than the Solviet Union in amaetuer boxing....they had heavyweights who, over they years, would have been almost certain to win World Champs...but couldnt because of the ban.....
          techically false.....

as of the recently.. it seems like russia dominates the amateur boxing championships

2009 world amateur championships

Russia= 2 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze (Russia had the best record)
          Cuba= 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze (Cuba was 3rd, Italy was second)

2007 world amateur championships

Russia on top again

Russia- 3 gold, 3 bronze, 2 silver
          Cuba was not even in the top 14

2005 Cuba was on top- with 4 golds, 1 bronze, 3 silver
          Russia had- 3 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2003 Russia won again, Cuba second

Cuba on top in 2001, Russia second

US won 1999, Cuba second, Russia was 7th

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom! View Post
            It was partly because prosperous White Americans probably discouraged their sons from taking up boxing.

Back in the days of Corbett and Dempsey there were a lot of poor white Americans, but not so much by the 1950s.

I'm Canadian, not American but my parents didn't want me to get seriously into boxing when I was growing up, even though my uncle boxed when he was young. They considered it a poor man's sport. They never said anything to discourage me from participating in other sports.
            I had always found this funny that boxing is considered to be a poor lowly sport for the bottom of the ladder, it's as if other sports aren't "poor man's" sports.

The NBA and NFL are majority blacks from the inner city or ghettoes. Is someone going to tell me that Lebron James, Kevin Garnett, Derek Rose, Dwyane Wade were all born with silver spoons in their mouth? No, those guys came from the ghetto, the Grant Hills or Kobe Bryants coming from rich families are the exception. The NFL is littered with guys also from the ghettoes. MLB has loads of poor latinos from 3rd world nations that are now baseball stars. The NHL has loads of eastern european guys coming from poor and impoverished backgrounds. The top soccer leagues like the EPL are littered with guys that come from poor backgrounds also.

Fact is that sports is a way out for the poor, not just boxing. But it's boxing that's considered to be a poor man's sport. I just always found that to be so funny.

Comment

Its all about being poor.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingking500 View Post
                techically false.....

as of the recently.. it seems like russia dominates the amateur boxing championships

2009 world amateur championships

Russia= 2 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze (Russia had the best record)
                Cuba= 1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze (Cuba was 3rd, Italy was second)

2007 world amateur championships

Russia on top again

Russia- 3 gold, 3 bronze, 2 silver
                Cuba was not even in the top 14

2005 Cuba was on top- with 4 golds, 1 bronze, 3 silver
                Russia had- 3 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2003 Russia won again, Cuba second

Cuba on top in 2001, Russia second

US won 1999, Cuba second, Russia was 7th
                Technically your right...but when you consider the relative size of the country compared to USA and Russia...it does pretty damn well, it also seems as though Russia does alot better than other Soviet Countries......I honestly cant think of a Soviet Union amateur in the past that was ear marked as a definite future champ, when there was a ban in the Olympics.........whereas I can think of Teofilio Stevenson and the Cuba guy who won gold in 2000 at Super Heavyweight , who were touted as possible world champs.....

Comment

Working...
                X