No announcement yet.

how do you spar in your gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you spar in your gym

i have been to gyms where sparring is more of a learning drill and its taken easy and bombs arent being thrown... but i have also been to gyms where its war. what do you think is the right mentality to sparring?

Where i train we generally adapt to each other. If someone takes it easy you take it easy, if someone throws bombs you throw back. If you spar with someone on a lower level you go easy. Sometimes we do drills where you're not supposed to hit hard. At other times we decide beforehand that we are gonna go all out.

Comment

that sounds good yo. it just depends on the level of your sparring partner. i have sparred new people alot and all they want to do is throw bombs lol sometimes i throw back and sometimes i just work on my defense and throw a hard jab.. since i am southpaw it usually confuses them anyways

Comment

Originally posted by southpaw2884 View Post
        that sounds good yo. it just depends on the level of your sparring partner. i have sparred new people alot and all they want to do is throw bombs lol sometimes i throw back and sometimes i just work on my defense and throw a hard jab.. since i am southpaw it usually confuses them anyways
        Yeah that tends to happen a lot. The new guys are anxious or something, they go into the ring all tense and start throwing bombs.

Comment

its funny and aggravating at the same time but its whatever. i like to spar hard cause sometimes my fights arent even close to my sparring.. not saying i am the man or whatever but if i am use to bombs and **** when i spar if they arent coming at me in a fight... he'd better have good footwork

Comment

its funny and aggravating at the same time but its whatever. i like to spar hard cause sometimes my fights arent even close to my sparring.. not saying i am the man or whatever but if i am use to bombs and **** when i spar if they arent coming at me in a fight... he'd better have good footwork
            I can do it either way as long as i know what is going to happen, what i dont like is when a guy tells you "let's go easy" and then tries to take you head off.

I usually spar with heavier guys so iam used to taking shots from guys about 155-165, i'm 135 so it gives me confidence that i can take whatever guys my own size are throwing at me. What i don't like is to fight guys with a much better reach but i guess it's good to learn to do that too.

Comment

lol when i spar people your weight class who are good its crazy cause yall are so damn fast. i use to spar with heavy weight and a light heavy weight too i am 160 it does give you the confidence though. the same goes wit smaller people and the speed factor

Comment

lol when i spar people your weight class who are good its crazy cause yall are so damn fast. i use to spar with heavy weight and a light heavy weight too i am 160 it does give you the confidence though. the same goes wit smaller people and the speed factor
                It's lucky for us small guys we atleast have speed advantage otherwise we would have no chance in hell

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
                  Where i train we generally adapt to each other. If someone takes it easy you take it easy, if someone throws bombs you throw back. If you spar with someone on a lower level you go easy. Sometimes we do drills where you're not supposed to hit hard. At other times we decide beforehand that we are gonna go all out.
                  exactly like mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post

Same here.

With some of the newer guys I try to help em relax a little, I'll let them throw while I work on defense, footwork etc... and I'll throw fast punches without much power.

With the more advanced guys we usually go all out if we're at a similar weight.

Comment

Working...
                    X