Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Wins: Oscar Dela Hoya vs. Antonio Margarito at 147 Lbs. Prime for Prime.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
    Prime Margarito? IDK, Oscar beating prime Welterweights at their best? He ain't bout that life, trick.He lost or looked like balls vs. the best WWs he fought, Tito, Ike, Whitaker.

He either lost or won controversially vs just about everyone you listed.

People here are making De La Hoya out like some kind of unbeatable force that blasted foos left and right, he didn't. Accept it, gentlemen, Oscar-Margarito would be alot closer than yall think.

Comment

Oscar is one of the greatest boxers of all time, Margarito had nothing except for a chin, Dangerous combo. Oscar beats the brakes off of him, destruction.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        My response was to people saying he was afraid of margarito, when his resume is stacked. Also the guys he lost to are all better than margarito. Look at the reasons he lost to them or had close fights, do they have anything stylistically in common with margo at all?

Is DLH an "unbeatable force" no of course not, but is he an ATG A level fighter quite a bit more skilled than Margo whose best wins were Cintron and Cotto? yes he is.
        Tito forced Oscar to do the cha-cha in their fight. Tony has a better chin and higher work-rate than Tito, too.

Comment

Tito forced Oscar to do the cha-cha in their fight. Tony has a better chin and higher work-rate than Tito, too.

You forgot to mention Marg was significantly slower than Tito.. and are you implying Marg hit as hard as Tito? Lmao... Even with plaster he couldn't.

Can someone remind me who the hell Marg fought and beat that even makes this a debate? :|... He beat Cotto...with plaster...

Hell...he lost to P.Will...don't act like you forgot. This is all in Marg's prime... He got his s hit pushed in by an OLD Shane... Not 2001 terminator Shane (that Oscar fought)..or roids Shane from their second fight. I think it'd be safe to say Marg would be nothing more than a gatekeeper in the prime Oscar days. Where do people get Marg stopping Oscar? A prime Pac couldn't even put an old, drained Oscar on his ass and that was by landing like 99% of his power punches. Prime Shane lands vicious shots all night to Oscar, doesn't even drop him.. But Marg stops Oscar? The Marg fans (many, not all) that remained after the wrap scandal basically had to stay his fan to save face... A prime Oscar would stop Marg. Marg had a great chin... but with that big a difference in skill you saw what happens vs Shane. He's lucky (or maybe unlucky) that he was significantly bigger than Pac and was able to stay standing after getting mauled too...though he would have been better served being KO'd ala Mosley and maybe saved his career.... instead he got his face broken, then lost to cotto and went all like "I can see! -opens eye...blood squirts out-" lol. Seriously... there is no way that if you've been following boxing for more than 10 years you can in good faith say Marg beats Oscar. The skill difference is such that he'd have been a tune up.. He might not have even got to FIGHT Oscar. Not with all the beasts there at the time

Comment

Oscar. Margarito was good, but I think DLH's superior Boxing skill and footwork would be too much for Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
              You forgot to mention Marg was significantly slower than Tito.. and are you implying Marg hit as hard as Tito? Lmao... Even with plaster he couldn't.

Can someone remind me who the hell Marg fought and beat that even makes this a debate? :|... He beat Cotto...with plaster...

Hell...he lost to P.Will...don't act like you forgot. This is all in Marg's prime... He got his s hit pushed in by an OLD Shane... Not 2001 terminator Shane (that Oscar fought)..or roids Shane from their second fight. I think it'd be safe to say Marg would be nothing more than a gatekeeper in the prime Oscar days. Where do people get Marg stopping Oscar? A prime Pac couldn't even put an old, drained Oscar on his ass and that was by landing like 99% of his power punches. Prime Shane lands vicious shots all night to Oscar, doesn't even drop him.. But Marg stops Oscar? The Marg fans (many, not all) that remained after the wrap scandal basically had to stay his fan to save face... A prime Oscar would stop Marg. Marg had a great chin... but with that big a difference in skill you saw what happens vs Shane. He's lucky (or maybe unlucky) that he was significantly bigger than Pac and was able to stay standing after getting mauled too...though he would have been better served being KO'd ala Mosley and maybe saved his career.... instead he got his face broken, then lost to cotto and went all like "I can see! -opens eye...blood squirts out-" lol. Seriously... there is no way that if you've been following boxing for more than 10 years you can in good faith say Marg beats Oscar. The skill difference is such that he'd have been a tune up.. He might not have even got to FIGHT Oscar. Not with all the beasts there at the time
              Tito was weak in that fight and Oscar still ran around the ring. A PRIME Margarito will be strong and throwing boatloads of punches and eating Oscar's shots for 12 rounds. Come on, now. Oh and BTW, when did I say he stops Oscar?

He lost to PWill = Are you implying Oscar is a 6'+ southpaw who can throw 100+ punches a round?

He lost to Shane = Tony was mentally f-ucked going into the fight, just about anyone with 12 round stamina coulda beaten him that night.

You bring up the contrast in skills, weren't they saying the same thing about Cotto? He's too skilled for Tony, his jab and hook (Oscar's best punches coincidentally) will be too much, etc. Then, Tony TKO11 Cotto. And don't even bring up plaster unless you can prove something.

Comment

Tito was weak in that fight and Oscar still ran around the ring. A PRIME Margarito will be strong and throwing boatloads of punches and eating Oscar's shots for 12 rounds. Come on, now. Oh and BTW, when did I say he stops Oscar?

He lost to PWill = Are you implying Oscar is a 6'+ southpaw who can throw 100+ punches a round?

He lost to Shane = Tony was mentally f-ucked going into the fight, just about anyone with 12 round stamina coulda beaten him that night.

You bring up the contrast in skills, weren't they saying the same thing about Cotto? He's too skilled for Tony, his jab and hook (Oscar's best punches coincidentally) will be too much, etc. Then, Tony TKO11 Cotto. And don't even bring up plaster unless you can prove something.
                Are you making an excuse for every fight just to try and justify a match up? Marg was Mentally f ucked? Why? Because of the plaster? If he had never used it before that shouldnt be an issue. Not just that but are you implying a focused Marg would have beat Shane?

Please don't compare Cottos chin with Oscars... Oscar had a better jab, left hook and was faster and didn't fade to the extent Cotto does.... Oscar fought plenty of fighters with great conditioning... Shane among them. Marg is dimply too limited to have gotten to Oscar enough times to win. He'll throw or TRY to throw all 12 rounds, but like you said, he'll be eating Oscars punches all night... Hed eventually get stopped most likely... If not itd be like a 9-3 fight. Marg has shown he cant stop elite fighters and the only one he did there's controversy over... One thing is Cintron...another is prime Oscar. Oscar could throw a lot if punches too when he wanted... Oscar would t off on him all night, circle him or just clinch him and never let him get into a rhythm. People act like Oscar had zero defense and bad game plans and was some crude come forward fighter.

I respect your opinion, good on you if you honestly believe Marg overwhelms him, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I don't see it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                  Are you making an excuse for every fight just to try and justify a match up? Marg was Mentally f ucked? Why? Because of the plaster? If he had never used it before that shouldnt be an issue. Not just that but are you implying a focused Marg would have beat Shane?

Please don't compare Cottos chin with Oscars... Oscar had a better jab, left hook and was faster and didn't fade to the extent Cotto does.... Oscar fought plenty of fighters with great conditioning... Shane among them. Marg is dimply too limited to have gotten to Oscar enough times to win. He'll throw or TRY to throw all 12 rounds, but like you said, he'll be eating Oscars punches all night... Hed eventually get stopped most likely... If not itd be like a 9-3 fight. Marg has shown he cant stop elite fighters and the only one he did there's controversy over... One thing is Cintron...another is prime Oscar. Oscar could throw a lot if punches too when he wanted... Oscar would t off on him all night, circle him or just clinch him and never let him get into a rhythm. People act like Oscar had zero defense and bad game plans and was some crude come forward fighter.

I respect your opinion, good on you if you honestly believe Marg overwhelms him, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I don't see it at all.
                  Oscar faded in his fights, too. Maybe not like Cotto does but it's there. You can't afford to do that vs Prime Tony.

Actually, the bolded is how Margarito is viewed by the majority of fans. You included, you're severely underrating him. If he was such a bum, why did Judah, Spinks, Floyd FFS, duck him like the plague??? People act like he's a Cosme Rivera-type opponent, he wasn't or else Zab woulda unified vs. him in a heart beat.

But I respect your last statement. I'm glad we didn't have to go at it like the morons in this forums. We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Comment

Oscar beats the dog **** out of him. Oscar in his prime had very fast hands, a piston for a jab, and one of the best left hooks in the game. Combine that with an iron chin and I don't see how a slow plodding Margarito could even make much of a fight out of it. Oscar was the goods in his prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Left2theliver View Post
                      Oscar. Margarito was good, but I think DLH's superior Boxing skill and footwork would be too much for Margarito.
                      true, margarito did have heart, lots of it but i don't think the fight would be that easy for dela hoya. basing on actual event, when the two sparred at one point, dela hoya got one heck of a beating, even bleeding from the noes and ears with the protection of head gear, another thing margarito is good at is cutting of the ring, a very mobile pacquiao was even caught in the ropes fro time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X