Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 44
Total Points: 62,245.59
Khan v Kindelan postponed!
Khan's Kindelan rematch on hold
Amir Khan's amateur farewell against Cuban legend Mario Kindelan will not take place as scheduled on 30 April.
That date was announced last week by boxing promoter Frank Warren, with whom Khan is expected to turn professional.
But Cuban team chief Angel Iglesias Guerra said that Kindelan's Friday bout with Frankie Gavin in Liverpool made an April date logistically "impossible".
Guerra did add that his fighter would still like to fight Khan in May or June before retiring from the sport.
"If Mario did get the chance to fight Amir Khan again it would be his chance to retire in style," he said.
It is great to hear that Mario wants the fight and we will make it happen
"We hope it could happen in May or June as part of a more comprehensive bill involving other members of the team."
Warren admitted on Wednesday that he was disappointed by the news, but said he was be prepared to be flexible.
"May would be the perfect month for us to do the fight and I have no problems with moving the date back," he said.
"It is great to hear that Mario wants the fight because it is the biggest amateur fight and we will make it happen."
Kindelan, who is also due to fight in Dublin before returning home, paid tribute to 18-year-old Khan who he beat 30-22 in the Olympic lightweight final.
"Amir Khan is a great boxer and I respect him a lot. It is his decision about turning pro, but if he stays on in an amateur capacity he will get a lot of glory."
It probably won't happen now & I think we'll hear something about Khan turning pro in the near future.