Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Woodside, Queens
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 34
Total Points: 3,203,890,484.06
Andy Lee was the worst thing that could happen to Chavez Jr.
Andy lee has a:
- Big enough name to command attention and credibility.
- Strong enough chin that he was able to allow Chavez Jr to show off his full arsenal over several rounds.
- Big heart/pride that would cause him to fight bravely until the very end.(allowing for an eventful stoppage instead of the lesser fighter defensively fighting scared)
- Good enough punch that would gain Chavez Jr credit to his chin.(despite not consistently landing clean)
- Mediocre endurance and mobility allowing Chavez Jr. to look comparatively and relatively fast.
The perfect matchup for the superior fighter to look better than he actually is.
Chavez Jr. has improved leaps and bounds over the fighter boxing circles scoffed at only a year or two ago. However nothing he or Martinez has done in recent fights changes the fact that Martinez is a P4P fighter and Chavez Jr is just a good champion.
Stopping Lee is what created the illusion that Chavez Jr is capable of beating, for some even knocking out Sergio Martinez. The reality is Martinez is going to school and seriously hurt Chavez Jr. And no, constantly displaying Chavez Sr. at press conferences will do nothing to help his son in the ring. Much has been done to prop up Chavez Jr.'s aura and image. Unfortunately for him, it won't be enough because he is massively outclassed by Martinez. Expect to see Martinez timing Chavez perfectly after a round or two and for Chavez to look confused and plodding. It's two of the best fighters in the division, so credit to them for cutting the bull**** and making the fight happen. Good luck to both men!