Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kahn to fight in Vegas?

Amir Khan eyes Las Vegas after defeating Gairy St Clair

By David Anderson 04/02/2008

Khan could make his US debut in Las Vegas in a mouthwatering double bill with Joe Calzaghe.

Khan wants to join the Brit invasion of America and just hours after watching him comprehensively outpoint Gairy St Clair, promoter Frank Warren flew to the States to make arrangements.

Warren is considering putting Khan on in Vegas on April 18 - the day before Calzaghe clashes with Bernard Hopkins at the Thomas and Mack Center. Khan's broadcasters, ITV, would need to give their permission and Warren is looking at fighting mid-afternoon local time, which would be prime time in Britain.

Alternatively, if fighting in America proves too problematic, Khan will challenge European champion Yuri Romanov of Belarus.

"Amir's next fight will be in April," said Warren. "We're looking at either the European champion Romanov or a fight in the States. If he fights Romanov, it will be in Bolton.

"He won't fight on the Calzaghe bill because they are with different television companies. We'll weigh it all up and make a decision whether or not to go to the States and if he doesn't go this time, he could go there for his next fight." Khan, 21 would love to make his American debut on The Strip and he was blown away by Vegas when he went out to watch Floyd Mayweather's showdown with Oscar De La Hoya.

"I want to go to America and fight over there," he said. "I've beaten a world-class fighter in Gairy St Clair and things are going to get interesting. I'd love to fight in America and for the European title."

Warren dubbed Khan's last fight against Graham Earl as his coming of age, but really Saturday night was when he proved he has the maturity and stamina to become world champion. The Olympic silver medallist produced the classiest performance of his 16-fight career in beating St Clair at London's ExCeL in the third defence of his Commonwealth title and all three judges gave him every round.

He picked his shots perfectly and his left jab seemed permanently attached to the end of the bust nose of the durable former IBF super-featherweight world champion, who has never been stopped or dropped.

He also exorcised the ghost of Willie Limond by showing he can take a punch better as he effortlessly went 12 rounds for the first time. Khan said: "St Clair was strong, he came forward, made it awkward for me and he had a good chin, but I've proved I have the fitness to do 12 rounds at a high work rate.

"He's boxed the likes of Vivian Harris and Diego Corrales and although he took them the distance, I beat him better."

Khan's star continues to rise and boxing's golden boy will sign a seven-figure deal with Reebok to become global face of the sports brand. Next stop America.

Sorry if already been posted

i don't get it. what would be the point of going all the way to america to fight in the middle of a friday afternoon, the day before calzaghe-hopkins? who the hell would see it apart from the usual itv audience?

if he exposure to an american audience, howabout getting him on ESPN friday night fights, and itv can show the fight live with a replay on saturday night.

Comment

Frank tried to get him on the undercard of hopkins calzhage fight but didnt work so he is gonna go for a european title most likely

Comment

Working...
      X