No announcement yet.

So i just been reading this old boxing book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i just been reading this old boxing book

They had the likes of James Figg, Jack slack, John gully , Thomas Molinuex etc and other bare knuckle puglists fighting bare knuckle for 50 rounds plus and some of them fought into their mid 50's. MID 50'S!

All i can say is:

Good grief!

Originally posted by i_am_a_champ View Post
    They had the likes of James Figg, Jack slack, John gully , Thomas Molinuex etc and other bare knuckle puglists fighting bare knuckle for 50 rounds plus and some of them fought into their mid 50's. MID 50'S!

All i can say is:

Good grief!

Sounds like Pierce Egan'd 'Boxiana'. I started there too!!!

Comment

It also sounds like Bob Mees's great book entitled "Bare Fists". A very good read.

Comment

lol, y'all.

I'm pleased as **** more people are getting into older times. I think the longest engagement was the 110 Bowen-Burke in 1895, but if you wanna get stupid old. The earliest form of champion I've ever been able to get a hint of real proof of actual existence was a fella during the Spartan days who simply allowed his company to whale on him until they were tired. He'd take it all day if you could dish it. Than at the end he'd drop the knock out punch. Apparently it sounded like a Maul hitting a stone. Any who his name was Allus...Ironically with out him allusive wouldn't mean what it means today. Apparently his lasting was him alluding to your getting knocked out. To be fair to my favorite era though, no footwork in Spartan boxing. They just stand there like rock-em sock-em robots. Just thought it was an interesting bit to share.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          lol, y'all.

I'm pleased as **** more people are getting into older times. I think the longest engagement was the 110 Bowen-Burke in 1895, but if you wanna get stupid old. The earliest form of champion I've ever been able to get a hint of real proof of actual existence was a fella during the Spartan days who simply allowed his company to whale on him until they were tired. He'd take it all day if you could dish it. Than at the end he'd drop the knock out punch. Apparently it sounded like a Maul hitting a stone. Any who his name was Allus...Ironically with out him allusive wouldn't mean what it means today. Apparently his lasting was him alluding to your getting knocked out. To be fair to my favorite era though, no footwork in Spartan boxing. They just stand there like rock-em sock-em robots. Just thought it was an interesting bit to share.
          i'm not sure about this last part. this word was taken directly from Latin alludere, "to play with", made up of ad "to(ward)" + ludere "to play". Ludere is based on the noun ludus "game". Since this root does not appear in other Indo-European languages, we assume that Latin did not inherit it from Proto-Indo-European but borrowed it from Etruscan, an ancient non-Indo-European language of Italy. English did borrow a slew of words containing the Latin root, however; they include ludicrous, interlude, prelude and, of course, allusion.

im no expert on this perhaps I'm wrong, where did you read this

Comment

Two things.

A) When I said proof of actual existence I should have been more to the point. That's all that can be proven. He was considered greatest by his peers. He was a solder/boxer. Everything else I said come from unproven sources. I meant to make that clear before, but sometimes I word not so good (lol yeah that was on purpose that time) The bit about a Maul you can believe if you like. I understand that dangers of "i've read this" and just accepting that, but when there is very little to talk about "This may be true" is quite interesting. All I mean to say was " Now I know this bloke existed and I know he was well liked, but after those few knowings I can't honestly prove the following" and then the list of stuff i'd heard and either found no reliable references or just never checked too hard. Thats why I started with the easily provable longest fight and moved on to the solely speculatory.

B) The Allus to allude allusive etc. beside having come from a fella at a different forum. As I understood and meant to convey . Was from Latin to English. I really really didn't mean to suggest Proto anything.....you went into an era I get a bit lost in there. I mean inst proto-indo-european basically a cave man? Before the Sumerians right? Second on that front I never cared enough to ask the fella if he meant origin or use. Like a pun style thing?

Comment

Working...
            X