Breaking down Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down Roberto Duran

http://imgur.com/gallery/hXdl7

Well the movie just came out so it seemed a perfect time for this one. Please leave an upvote at the bottom if you enjoy the article.

Originally posted by escudo View Post
    http://imgur.com/gallery/hXdl7

Well the movie just came out so it seemed a perfect time for this one. Please leave an upvote at the bottom if you enjoy the article.
    Excellent but Duran didn't start his career at 135. He was a teenager when he started pro at bantam. He also had a great win at feather against Ernesto Marcel.

Comment

just about everyone broke down roberto duran
      He just wasnt that good

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post
        He just wasnt that good
        Hearns certainly did. Duran was past prime, out of shape and way above his natural weight though.

Duran carved himself as The greatest lightweight ever before stepping up and fighting in the fab 4 era in his 30's.

Has arguably the greatest win in boxing history then embarrassed himself in the rematch.

He had no right fighting at the middleweights but beat the **** out of Davie Moore as a huge underdog. Then goes up and becomes the first person to go 15 with Hagler in a title fight. Was up on the cards after 12 against arguably the greatest Middleweight of all time in his absolute prime. Hagler went on to say he earned his PhD in boxing after fighting Duran. Duran then went on and beat a monster middleweight in Iran Barkley. Barkley had just came off destroying Tommy Hearns x2.

Duran had some poor performances above 135. Mostly due to his tendency to go into fights out of shape but he still had some incredible wins/performaces against the odds. People need to realise this all came after he cemented himself as the GOAT lightweight. Arguably the most talent deep division in boxing history.

Top 10 ATG no question.
        Last edited by DJ Enerate; 09-05-2016, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarRayCurtain View Post
          He just wasnt that good
          That is nonsense. Utter and complete non-sense.

Comment

The king of feints. Legendary inside fighter and one of the absolute best when fighting on the ropes. In my top 10 for sure.

Never liked him as a person though, poor sportsmanship and lacked dedication. His mental strength wasn't on par with his boxing skills. Doesn't change the fact that he's a legend, fighters like this come once every 30-40 years.
            Last edited by Dip_Slide; 09-05-2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
              The king of feints. Legendary inside fighter and one of the absolute best when fighting on the ropes. In my top 10 for sure.

Never liked him as a person though, poor sportsmanship and lacked dedication. His mental strength wasn't on par with his boxing skills. Doesn't change the fact that he's a legend, fighters like this come once every 30-40 years.
              Duran was definitely a bad loser with poor dedication but I don't think he's a bad person. The photo of him at DeJesus bedside holding his hand as he was dying of Aids in a time when everybody was **** scared of Aids tells you all you need to know about the man. Great fighter, great human being.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
                Duran was definitely a bad loser with poor dedication but I don't think he's a bad person. The photo of him at DeJesus bedside holding his hand as he was dying of Aids in a time when everybody was **** scared of Aids tells you all you need to know about the man. Great fighter, great human being.
                I don't know him personally to judge but I didn't like the personality he showed when it came to boxing, sore loser, always an excuse for his losses, never gave his opponents credit for beating him fair and square, insulting fighters' family members and the list of childish behavior goes on and on. Too proud to admit his own flaws and to give opponents credit and I personally hate that. But if he wasn't like that he probably wouldn't have had accomplished what he accomplished, he truly believed his own excuses and refused to believe that noone was better than him, and that confidence is essential in boxing.

Comment

The absolute epitome of a great boxer puncher....could slip punches with ease....great head to body puncher and could fight in a phone box and still be hard to hit, was ferocious and had limitless stamina ..massive puncher at lightweight with true killer instinct ....him and Leonard are my favourite fighters and in the top 3 fighters over the last 50 years and his only weakness was slick and fast moving boxers and the Hearns fight was just all wrong for him....Hearns was just to long for him....... Now with age he has turned into a humble friendly Panamanian with a vulnerability abou him...... The way he disected davey Moore was one of the most controlled beatings I have ever seen in the ring.....a brilliant fighter

Comment

New article should be out tonight or tommow. Roy jones is up next.

Comment

Working...
                    X