No announcement yet.

ITV to show Froch and Witter LIVE July 9th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITV to show Froch and Witter LIVE July 9th

ITV will return to showing live professional boxing on July 9th when they cover the Hennessy Sports 'Trailblazers' promotion at the Nottingham Arena featuring Carl Froch and Junior Witter. "I am delighted that ITV are backing this show," said Hennessy Sports head Mick Hennessy. "It is refreshing that their Head of Sport Mark Sharman sees what I, and their US co-promoter Oscar de la Hoya, sees in both Froch and Witter..

"Not just that they have the talent to win genuine world titles, but also that they have that special star quality it takes to become household names. ITV can provide them the exposure to do that."

In addition to British and Commonwealth super middleweight champion Carl Froch, who defends against mandatory contender Matthew Barney, and British, Commonwealth and European champion Junior Witter, who defends against mandatory contender Andreas Kotelnik, other members of Hennessy Sports will also feature on the show.

"This is a bill packed with quality from top to bottom," added Hennessy. "It features the best young talent in this country bar none.

"The chief support contest features exciting lightweight Lee Meager in a sensational eliminator for the British lightweight title against Liverpool's David Burke.

"Then you have the likes of Commonwealth games gold medallist Darren Barker and Junior Olympic gold medallist John O'Donnell.

"Tickets for the show only went on sale yesterday but the response has been fantastic.

"In addition to having a quality bill this is partly because this is the first time we have been able to promote at the Nottingham Arena on a Saturday night."

So the BBC ditched boxing and it appears ITV have taken over! LIVE professional boxing on terestrial tv in the UK is nothing but good for our sport!

BBC did piss me off by cutting off all boxing and buying match of the day highlights for something crazy like £100 million.

I'm glad to see that ITV and boxing are coming back together... I remember the good days of Eubank/Benn era.

Yep this is a step in the right direction for us and it's a pretty decent card though Barney has been in some of the most boring fights i've ever seen so I hope Froch sparks him quickly, I don't know anything about Witter's opponent apart from the split decision loss to Mbawe and that's not bad form so could be interesting but i'd expect Witter to win by stoppage at some point & the Meager/Burke fight is a good styles mix so it should be a good nights boxing

Comment

David Burke has pulled out of his British lightweight eliminator against Lee Meager on 9 July with injury.
      "Unfortunately David has injured his back so has had to stop training," said show promoter Mick Hennessy.

"This means he will now be unable to box in July. As a result Lee Meager will face another opponent, hopefully in a Championship fight.

"Depending on the path we take, we may look to reschedule the Burke fight for later in the year," he added.

Burke had been set to take on Meager in Nottingham on the undercard of Carl Froch and Junior Witter's latest bouts.

Meager's always in good fights anyway so as long as they get somebody half decent it should still be a good scrap.

Comment

was at lee's "loss" to danny hunt at the york hall cracking fight.
        http://www.britishboxing.net/?page=news&id=296

you are right he doesnt know how to take a backwards step.

Comment

The York Hall looks as if you'd get an excellent view of the action from the baclonies right round the ring, in the Kelvin Hall it's the same, you actually get a better view in the cheap seats which are higher up than you do for the more expensive ones!
          The Hunt/Meager fight was a little gem and I see you probably agree with me that Meager should have gotten the nod, I remember his fights with Charlie Shepard & Jimmy Beech on BBC were good scraps as well

Comment

Originally posted by barryboy
            The York Hall looks as if you'd get an excellent view of the action from the baclonies right round the ring, in the Kelvin Hall it's the same, you actually get a better view in the cheap seats which are higher up than you do for the more expensive ones!
            The Hunt/Meager fight was a little gem and I see you probably agree with me that Meager should have gotten the nod, I remember his fights with Charlie Shepard & Jimmy Beech on BBC were good scraps as well
            I've been to the York Hall a few times before... (I saw Johnny Tapia fight there once!), And it is an EXCELLENT venue for boxing!

You stand around the top and lean against the bars and you're literally looking over the ring! It's a fantastic view and you're SOOOO close to the action.

+ you get the real East London atmosphere in there!

I've benn to the Wemberley conference centre (I saw Eastman vs McCraken there) and it was a little quiet when the fight started. Where as in the York Hall there was screaming and shouting all night!

If you get a chance to go to the York Hall then do it, because I heard a little whisper that they may be shutting it down in a year or so?....

Comment

yip martin summs it up fantastic atmposphere fomr 7 pm to midnite when it finishes/.

not a bad seat in the house., dont worry Barry we will sort it my son sometime int he summer, Martin fancy meeting up bro?

Comment

JPW... It doesn't take much arm twisting to get me out for a pint.

I'd like to meet up, but I'm a bit busy at the mo... (recently got made redundant and spending most of my time sorting out another job). But as soon as I've sorted my life out (couple of months). We'll Defo meet up for a beer!

I dunno if you find this, but non of my friends really know anything about boxing. ... So yes, it'd be really cool to meet up with you and have a chat about boxing with someone that knows more about the sport than the usual, "Mike Tyson will still become heavyweight champion of the World!" I hear from my mates...

Comment

Working...
                X