• Show
Clear All

• Question about Whey Protein

Anybody take it

whats the best brand

Optimum Nutrition 100% whey

get it'

Comment

Just check the back of the container, try and get as much protein per serving as possible. May as well get one with max amount of protein for your $ rather than a 60/40 split in protein/carbs.

Comment

There are two kinds of whey protein.
        Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concetrate

The difference between the two are that
        Whey Protein Isolate has 90-95% protein while Whey Protein Concetrate only contains 80-84% protein.

Most whey proteins are concetrate whey unless it specifies that it is Whey Isolate. However the concetrate contains (Whey protein concetrate,whey isolate, and whey peptides) While whey protein isolate only contains Whey protein Isolate.

When I bought my first jug of protein I didn't know the difference of the two proteins, so i bought the concetrate. But now I buy the Isolate. If there is a local GNC near by I would reccomend this ( it comes in strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.)
        http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search

ohh yea one more thing Whey isolate protein doesn't come in a lot of different flavors like the concetrate does and it has some scientific reason that isolate cant have alot of flavors. I have only seen isolate in strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla

Comment

Originally posted by 817boy View Post
          There are two kinds of whey protein.
          Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concetrate

The difference between the two are that
          Whey Protein Isolate has 90-95% protein while Whey Protein Concetrate only contains 80-84% protein.

Most whey proteins are concetrate whey unless it specifies that it is Whey Isolate. However the concetrate contains (Whey protein concetrate,whey isolate, and whey peptides) While whey protein isolate only contains Whey protein Isolate.

When I bought my first jug of protein I didn't know the difference of the two proteins, so i bought the concetrate. But now I buy the Isolate. If there is a local GNC near by I would reccomend this ( it comes in strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla.)
          http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search

ohh yea one more thing Whey isolate protein doesn't come in a lot of different flavors like the concetrate does and it has some scientific reason that isolate cant have alot of flavors. I have only seen isolate in strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla
          I personally think it makes no real difference to boxers if it is isolate or concentrate as long as you get the gram weight of protein you aim for. I use whey, max 1 scoop a day if I havent eaten enough protein from normal food sources (egg white, tuna, chicken, red meat etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
            I personally think it makes no real difference to boxers if it is isolate or concentrate as long as you get the gram weight of protein you aim for. I use whey, max 1 scoop a day if I havent eaten enough protein from normal food sources (egg white, tuna, chicken, red meat etc).

I agree. I just thought i should share that w/ him. I take 1 scoop of protein as a meal replacement. I usually eat 4 small meals a day plus the scoop of protein.

I friend of mine that power lifts told me that if you consume more than 35g of protein at one time it will be pointless cuz you will just piss anything over 35g it out later. Has anyone ever heard this

Comment

Originally posted by 817boy View Post
              I agree. I just thought i should share that w/ him. I take 1 scoop of protein as a meal replacement. I usually eat 4 small meals a day plus the scoop of protein.

I friend of mine that power lifts told me that if you consume more than 35g of protein at one time it will be pointless cuz you will just piss anything over 35g it out later. Has anyone ever heard this
              I have heard it but it will depend on how much you weigh for one thing. The most cited experts recommend around 1.7-1.9 gms of protein per kilogram bodyweight (about .8 - .9 per pound) per day for building muscle mass.

So if you weigh 75 kilos and need 140 gms of protein a day, then you could have 5 meals with 28gms of protein a day, or 3 meals with 46 gms of protein. Although it is probably better to have 5 small meals I dont think you would be pissing out the extra protein over 3 small daily meals.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't just 'take it'. Know what you currently are eating, and what you are getting from you meals.

Then know why you are taking it. In my case, I run lean on body fat, so use it for recovery after every workout, and to maximize lean muscle growth with that recovery. I take it about 10 mins after each workout...roughly 30g with 5g of L-glutamine.

It has accomplished two things I was looking for. It reduced muscle strains that I was experiencing as I was often getting catabolic, and has helped add the lean muscle I sought.

You can do it with food, certainly. But it isn't getting into your system as fast. Also....at the end of the month, it will likely cost you more in chicken breasts, steaks and tuna etc...then it will with whey protein to get similar results. So cheaper and more effective.

Comment

L-Glutamine is a waste of $$ imo.

get some BCAA...for better muscle recovery

Comment

Originally posted by TheTruthIs View Post
                    Personally, I wouldn't just 'take it'. Know what you currently are eating, and what you are getting from you meals.

Then know why you are taking it. In my case, I run lean on body fat, so use it for recovery after every workout, and to maximize lean muscle growth with that recovery. I take it about 10 mins after each workout...roughly 30g with 5g of L-glutamine.

It has accomplished two things I was looking for. It reduced muscle strains that I was experiencing as I was often getting catabolic, and has helped add the lean muscle I sought.

You can do it with food, certainly. But it isn't getting into your system as fast. Also....at the end of the month, it will likely cost you more in chicken breasts, steaks and tuna etc...then it will with whey protein to get similar results. So cheaper and more effective.
                    I just did some quick math. Here in Ecuador a scoop of whey protein from a large tub (cheapest one I can find for US $40 -ultimate nutrition whey) costs about US $1.30 for 23 gms of protein.
                    Steak for 100 gms about .65cents - 28 gms protein
                    4 whole eggs .51 cents 24 gms protein
                    6 eggs (whites) .80 cents 24 gms protein

so here anyway it is cheaper to buy protein rich food than whey. Whey acts faster sure but I think daily quantity is more important than timing.

I dont know about prices elsewhere in US or Europe for example. Anyone enlighten me?

Comment

Working...
                    X