No announcement yet.

Rationale behind "X Deserves a Big Payday"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rationale behind "X Deserves a Big Payday"

I would like to understand the rationale many use when they state, that this fighter or that fighter "deserves a big payday".

What are the qualifications that must be met to "deserves a big payday" in boxing. What is the criterion that elevates one boxer above another, in terms of getting a shot at the Cash Cows of Boxing.

Why does {insert boxer's name here} "deserve a big payday" ..... Why?

Is it life's hardships? ..... can't be that because almost all boxer's come from a hard life. Is it a long career of challenging the best in boxing? Or is it a sympathetic affinity towards a particular boxer that makes many think they "deserve a big payday"

Explain ...........

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    I would like to understand the rationale many use when they state, that this fighter or that fighter "deserves a big payday".

What are the qualifications that must be met to "deserves a big payday" in boxing. What is the criterion that elevates one boxer above another, in terms of getting a shot at the Cash Cows of Boxing.

Why does {insert boxer's name here} "deserve a big payday" ..... Why?

Is it life's hardships? ..... can't be that because almost all boxer's come from a hard life. Is it a long career of challenging the best in boxing? Or is it a sympathetic affinity towards a particular boxer that makes many think they "deserve a big payday"

Explain ...........
    very good post

I'm not sure who you have in mind, but I have Robert in mind. People simply feel bad for him because his wife had cancer.

As a boxing fan, my focus is seeing the most interesting fights. There are more "deserving" fighters than Robert when it comes to fighting Floyd Mayweather

Comment

Personally, its what they do inside the ring. The warrior mentality, of coming in and putting it all out there. Win or lose, they consistently give the fans a great fight against top opposition.

I dont mind seeing them be rewarded

Comment

well in most sports dudes cash in on a single good year which can be just a few good games, and they cash in big.

In boxing it is a bit different in that money is much more concentrated at the top, so when a guy puts in the time and effort while being successful without really being rewarded (they make good money but for what they risk and in sports it is chump change) so seeing anyone that paid their dues in the game and hasn't had a sniff of the really big stage are guys that deserve big pay days.

In boxing there are lots of dudes that came from harsh backgrounds or have other serious issues going on that is just a bonus~

Comment

With most its just being a victim of the hype. Hearing a fighter's name linked with another so often that they actually believe the promotion. I like to see a fighter going for a payday to at least scalp a head or two on the level of the boxer they are calling out...Take out the next in line...eliminate the other options and MAKE yourself the only clear challenger...being a mandatory didn't work out for Aydin...doesn't work out for GGG...

It's nice to talk about workman like fighters but how many are there these days? and how many Gatti/Mayweathers or Gatti/DLHs are we willing to sit through because 'it would be nice to see a guy with heart make a few dollars'...at the expense of their motor skills?

Some of these self proclaimed contenders should talk to Hagler, and hear what he had to go through to get a shot...nowadays you get your record in the double digits and you can challenge for a belt...

Comment

I think Guerrero deserves a decent payday because of the work he's put in the ring. Not too many boxers are willing to jump a whole weight class and fight an avoided fighter. You never hear about Robert doing negative stuff in the press. Its time he got paid.

Comment

Originally posted by akScoundrel View Post
              Personally, its what they do inside the ring. The warrior mentality, of coming in and putting it all out there. Win or lose, they consistently give the fans a great fight against top opposition.

I dont mind seeing them be rewarded
              Good points!!!!!!

Boxer's like you described -- I consider worthy of financial reward at or near the end of their career ..... Guys that fight whomever is placed in front of them and regardless of the purse, they give their absolute all for the fans.

R.I.P. Diego Corrales was the best template of a boxer that deserved the sports richest rewards.

Comment

it could be for a bunch of reasons.

it can be someone who has been avoided and didnt get his chance at the big names where he could earn some real money even though he deserved it (paul williams).

it can be someone who has been fighting as a gatekeeper and took on a bunch of top fighters, gave them tough fights, took plenty beatings but never got paid properly because those top fighters hadnt made names for themselves yet (emanuel augustus).

or someone who just got taken advantage of by promoters (too many to specify).

someone who has been fighting most of his career on FNFs and shows like that dont get paid hardly nothing, yet they are often in tough fights, boxing often and entertaining lots of ppl. those guys should be paid more to begin with and you would like to see them get some ppv time and make some real money.

also keep in mind that the diffrence in pay checks is dramatic between the big names and regular titlists, as well as the regular titlists and the contenders. most fighters who have been champions for a long time but never became a big name or someone who has been a ranked fighter for a long time but never got some gold usually deserves a bit more money since they are just under that level yet making way less than fighters slightly beyond them.
                Last edited by #1Assassin; 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X