No announcement yet.

Does anyone's coach...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone's coach...

Encourage straight right hands to the body against a southpaw (or vice versa)? I've been to a few gyms, and no one ever brings it up in the ortho vs. S-Paw conversations, but I throw it all the time and I swear it's the money punch. I use it a lot if I have a guy moving backward and I feint a jab and shoot it downstairs quickly. It works even better when they are coming forward with their their jab and you slip left while instantaneously throwing the right to the body. All the momentum they use to move forward adds to the impact and I always make them grunt.

I feel like this is such a simple maneuver and it's probably more widely accepted than I realize, but I just never see it encouraged or practiced.

Does your coach, trainer, or gym-mates ever utilize this? Or is it so basic that I'm over-thinking this? Ha ha.

its text book boxing against a south paw. If coaches don't know that then they should just carry the spit bucket when a fight is on. Too many trainers or coaches have not had the real experience, they may have been around the game abit but for the most part these coaches are worthless...Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      its text book boxing against a south paw. If coaches don't know that then they should just carry the spit bucket when a fight is on. Too many trainers or coaches have not had the real experience, they may have been around the game abit but for the most part these coaches are worthless...Rockin'
      Come to think of it, I rarely see straight right hands to the body at all, let alone against southpaws. I feel it's the most effective punch down stairs. I have a pair of trainers that always encourage lead rights to the head against southies, but I feel the body is such an easier target. It's odd, I'm more comfortable facing southpaws than orthodox overall as well, so I guess it could be me?

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
        Come to think of it, I rarely see straight right hands to the body at all, let alone against southpaws. I feel it's the most effective punch down stairs. I have a pair of trainers that always encourage lead rights to the head against southies, but I feel the body is such an easier target. It's odd, I'm more comfortable facing southpaws than orthodox overall as well, so I guess it could be me?
        I used to spar/fight south paws all the time. At Galaxy Bronco McCart and I used to spar daily. Corey Johnson is another south paw that I had alot of fights against. Fought a guy named Jason Pappilion at the pal nationals and a guy named Marcus Allen I fought like 4 or 5 times. I never minded fighting the south paws.

You are right though, get under their jab and stick your right fist in their ribs, it's an easy money shot against most lefties, bring the hook behind it or double up the right hand to the head.

If you are working with south paws at the time try this..... You know how it's text book to circle to your left against them? Try walking the ring to your right against them. They are so used to everybody circling them to their left that working the other way seems to lock them up. Ofcourse walking to the right will put you in line with their power hand, just be aware of it. Just roll the shot, counter the hook and keep rolling to your right, double the hook on occasion.

Some guys you can't work this on but the last pro I worked with was like 20-2 and I walked the ring to the right the entire time we sparred, he had no answer for it. Bill Miller was amazed.......Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
          I used to spar/fight south paws all the time. At Galaxy Bronco McCart and I used to spar daily. Corey Johnson is another south paw that I had alot of fights against. Fought a guy named Jason Pappilion at the pal nationals and a guy named Marcus Allen I fought like 4 or 5 times. I never minded fighting the south paws.

You are right though, get under their jab and stick your right fist in their ribs, it's an easy money shot against most lefties, bring the hook behind it or double up the right hand to the head.

If you are working with south paws at the time try this..... You know how it's text book to circle to your left against them? Try walking the ring to your right against them. They are so used to everybody circling them to their left that working the other way seems to lock them up. Ofcourse walking to the right will put you in line with their power hand, just be aware of it. Just roll the shot, counter the hook and keep rolling to your right, double the hook on occasion.

Some guys you can't work this on but the last pro I worked with was like 20-2 and I walked the ring to the right the entire time we sparred, he had no answer for it. Bill Miller was amazed.......Rockin'
          I've always thought about that. Once something becomes so common, you almost have to re-write the law to keep them off balance. Definitely going to try this. I've got a pretty good anticipation, so I think I can pull it off. Thanks for the advice man. Green k.

Comment

Originally posted by BG_Knocc_Out View Post
            I've always thought about that. Once something becomes so common, you almost have to re-write the law to keep them off balance. Definitely going to try this. I've got a pretty good anticipation, so I think I can pull it off. Thanks for the advice man. Green k.
            When you are doing this keep that left hand in his face. And you already know about the right to the body, although rolling to your right is not the most oppertune time to throw it. Good luck with it man......Rockin'

Comment

The straight right hand to the body is a great shot, be it used against a southpaw or an orthodox. And you've also spotted that it works brilliantly against an advancing opponent. When used against a southpaw it's also worth remembering that the southpaw stance means that the liver is more exposed to this shot than it would be against an orthodox.

In terms of movement when facing off against an opponent with an opposing stance, that's an interesting area of discussion. For the majority of situations, I would always coach that for an orthodox meeting a southpaw should seek to control the area to their left, staying out of the 'strike' zone of the southpaw. Rockin makes a very good point though in terms of moving to the right. This is a staple of the Manny Pacquiao style, he moves to his left a hell of a lot, but also drifts very slightly away so that the orthodox opponent thinks that he can land the straight back hand. More often than not though the shot falls short and a price is paid.

This is covered in this Pacquiao style analysis:

Pacquiao Fights Analysis

Great thread guys, some proper technical discussion!

Comment

I wish I was a southpaw!

Comment

I tried this sparring with a southpaw yesterday and it works a treat! Infact lead rights to the head or body worked well.

Comment

Working...
                  X