No announcement yet.

Boxing training

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing training

hi, i've been doing more weight training last few years, i'm 21 years old, but i wanna start doing boxing training, should i still include weights and if so-how much weight training should i do, i have got a lot of muscle. i'm weighting around 14 stone 12 pounds, i'm lean at around 13 and a half i'd say. wot are the main weight exercises boxers do?
    i am from uk, where can i buy boxing equipment from online?
    how much cardio should i do?..i've been doing 20 minutes on treadmill, havent done cardio for a while so building it up..i havent found a boxing gym yet but will b soon...thankz...as much help as u can give...bear in mind i am used to weight training, I dont really wanna lose the power?...should i still keep doing weights?..etc etc...need a lot of help...if some1 could supply a professional boxers training schedule would b helpful..
    how many days a week do u guys train?

thanks-and full respect

Originally posted by Brotherfromthehoods
    hi, i've been doing more weight training last few years, i'm 21 years old, but i wanna start doing boxing training, should i still include weights and if so-how much weight training should i do, i have got a lot of muscle. i'm weighting around 14 stone 12 pounds, i'm lean at around 13 and a half i'd say. wot are the main weight exercises boxers do?
    i am from uk, where can i buy boxing equipment from online?
    how much cardio should i do?..i've been doing 20 minutes on treadmill, havent done cardio for a while so building it up..i havent found a boxing gym yet but will b soon...thankz...as much help as u can give...bear in mind i am used to weight training, I dont really wanna lose the power?...should i still keep doing weights?..etc etc...need a lot of help...if some1 could supply a professional boxers training schedule would b helpful..
    how many days a week do u guys train?

thanks-and full respect

You are going to get mix reactions about weights and boxing, so it really depends on what types of lifts you do...For boxing you want to do nothing but compound lifts and nothing isolated.

Power comes from the legs and your stance and so forth, being big and bulky is not an option for boxing...

How many boxers do you see walking around looking like arnold in his early days or jay cutler??? NONE

Up,up, up and away that cardio.

Boxing is a high intensity level sport, you are going to need strength speed stamina endurance the whole shabang you just cant settle for one...You have to be the "Complete Package"

A Joe Boxer routine would look something like this

Roadwork

Compound lifts (if you choose to, I dont like them)

Jump Rope
    Bag work
    shadowbox

Just your regular routine nothing special...

Boxing is a interval sport and you want to train at rounds majority of the time...Sometimes you could be just plotting around doing nothing and in the blink of an eye you are banging in an all out war....

Cardio is a must and you wont lose power by not lifting.

Comment

I'm still training in hopes of getting my first fight soon, so I don't have any solid, in-the-trenches advice as far as amateur boxing competition, but I think you should keep the intensity high in regards to your strength training and cardio.

I use to be a hardcore weightlifter, but I really don't think weights are critical for a boxer's success.I like to incorporate some dumbell and kettlebell lifts once or twice per week that focus on explosiveness; swings, snatches, clean and presses, etc.Lots of reps with short rest intervals.The ballistic nature of these exercises helps to build explosiveness in the hips which I find important and the high-reps are good for training the anaerobic system.

As for cardio, I think activities like burpee intervals, hill spints, and interval running are some of the most effective things you can do as far as conditioning.

Comment

Incorporate roadwork into these few exercises and you got yourself a decent workout

http://www.warriorforce.com/rossboxingvideoclip.wmv

Calisthenics are my personal choice though.

You may also want to look into yoga/pilates as it helps with flexibility and movement as well.

Comment

Damn that was cool, best skipping ive seen, but im familier with the sledge thing, when at my cabin at coast in summer, i train very old school, running,swimmin,roing,chopping tree.

Comment

Originally posted by leff
            Damn that was cool, best skipping ive seen, but im familier with the sledge thing, when at my cabin at coast in summer, i train very old school, running,swimmin,roing,chopping tree.

When I was on vacation, I chopped wood for the fire and man is that a workout. I wish I could do it at home...It is crazy.

Comment

I use heavy weights all of the time...it doesn't affect my boxing skills.

Comment

Working...
              X