No announcement yet.

Taylor-Wright revisited - Winky clearly won this fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor-Wright revisited - Winky clearly won this fight

I got Winky's career set on DVD not too long ago and decided to check out the fight with Taylor again, Since I hadnt watched it in about a year. And looking back I have to say that I think Wright got screwed over in this one, The HBO team were trying their best to make it seem like Jermain was holding his own but he got beaten up badly. And didnt deserve to keep his belts.

Of all 12 rounds, I only gave 4 to Jermain and a couple of them could easily have gone the other way. Watch for yourself, ignore the fact that Jim Lampley goes crazy whenever Jermain throws a punch and focus on who is doing the clean, effective work. You will see that Wright won most of the rounds. Even the 12th round, Taylor was pressing the action but he still didnt land much. Wright also landed punches in the 12th round, I really think that round could go either way and Wright didnt "take the round off" despite what the commentators said. I gave Jermain the last round but I still dont think he did enough to get a draw and certainly not a win.

Numbers dont lie, Wright outlanded Taylor in total punches 226 to 163 and 103 to 41 in jabs. How you can score that fight for Jermain I dont know. He clearly lost at least 7 rounds or more, in my opinion.

I'm curious to know what others thought about this fight. I know it was a while ago but having just watched it again, I'm curious to know what people think and whether anyone thought Jermain deserved to keep his belts.

I had Wright winning 116-112
    Last edited by JK1700; 08-06-2010, 03:24 PM.

I agree about that last round, it has been a while since I seen it but people were saying how Wright gave up the round.... he was less active than before but Taylor did **** all as well. Taylor doesnt automatically win the round because Winky slowed down a bit. Taylor did less than winky that round, I though winky won it and even then if you didnt give it to him I dont see how you can say that cost him the fight.

Comment

OP I totally agree, I just saw this fight again as well, and the thing that stood out the most is when people say Winky "gave" away the last round. Yes, he didnt do much, but neither did JT, and winky at least connected a few punches and backed him a little, jermain threw and missed, and/or clearly hit gloves/arms. That was a robbery, WW shouldve been Middleweight champ.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
        I agree about that last round, it has been a while since I seen it but people were saying how Wright gave up the round.... he was less active than before but Taylor did **** all as well. Taylor doesnt automatically win the round because Winky slowed down a bit. Taylor did less than winky that round, I though winky won it and even then if you didnt give it to him I dont see how you can say that cost him the fight.
        Originally posted by stevexx28 View Post
        OP I totally agree, I just saw this fight again as well, and the thing that stood out the most is when people say Winky "gave" away the last round. Yes, he didnt do much, but neither did JT, and winky at least connected a few punches and backed him a little, jermain threw and missed, and/or clearly hit gloves/arms. That was a robbery, WW shouldve been Middleweight champ.
        You're both right. One thing that really stood out was how the HBO announcers were always bigging up Jermain and making it seem like he was doing better than he really was. I try to ignore what the commentators say and just focus on who is really winning the rounds. You have to score on clean punching and who is controlling the pace. And there's no doubt that Wright controlled that fight for the majority of the rounds. The ones that Jermain did win were won on little flurries at the end. He wasnt controlling the pace at all. The last round is a perfect example.

Taylor was rushing forward trying to press the action and wasnt landing anything. It might seem like he is when you hear the commentators going wild, but if you look close you'll see he wasnt effective. Wright did land clean a few times in the last round. His punches didnt have the sting they had in round 3,4,5 but he was still giving Jermain a boxing lesson. The last 10 seconds, Taylor was throwing loads and Winky moved around the ring and didnt throw. But still, That round could've gone either way and it shouldnt have influenced the result.

That result could easily have been a wide UD for Winky Wright by something like 116-112 or even 117-111. There's absolutley no way Taylor won 6 or 7 rounds. But once again this is the politics of boxing, Jermain had just beaten Hopkins so he was the future of the division. So they were desperate to keep him undefeated.
        Last edited by JK1700; 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X