Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Training when extremely sore- counterproductive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training when extremely sore- counterproductive?

Hey Guys,

Haven't posted in a while but I have a question. I've been taking my training much more seriously and training my hardest and exerting myself to the fullest every day in the gym now, and today I feel crippled. It's almost painful to flex my calves, biceps, shoulders, back, triceps, forearms, and even the bottom of my feet are sore. I feel that training today would do more harm than good, but I want another opinion. Should I skip out just for today?

Personally I would say yes, take the day off. Rest is one of the most important things for your body. My trainer always tells me to listen to my body.

Comment

Originally posted by ChowAce View Post
      Personally I would say yes, take the day off. Rest is one of the most important things for your body. My trainer always tells me to listen to my body.
      I wish my trainer were more helpful, he doesn't give me any personal attention and calls me out of shape and has the whole gym disrespecting me Im not discouraged though

Comment

I usually rest a day or two if I'm really stiff/sore but I try to do some light training like pushups and shadow boxing...

Comment

Yea TS, you can always go for a light long distance run to get your cardio going while being sore. Like 30+ minutes at an easy pace.

Comment

A little sore, and you should train through it. A lot of soreness such as you describe probably warrents a rest.

As mentioned some light exercise may loosen things up. If the bottoms of you feet hurt, then even a light jog will only make it worse. Some easy cycling, swimming, shadow boxing, and/ or stretching. Unless you are used to doing 100's of pushups a day, that might even be too much. Light resistence such as elastic bands or tubing, light as in 5-10 lb dumbells for high reps, or even just swinging your arms will help.

If you are training at high intensity you need to put in rest days or at least light days into your training schedule. As a national level strength coach told me once, "You either need to shedule in rest and recovery into your program, or your body will do it for you."

Comment

Working...
            X