Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best British boxer of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was the best British boxer of all time?

I have wondered this for some time now. A lot of people would argue that it's Lennox Lewis. While I agree he is up there, I wouldnt really say he was the best fighter we have ever produced. While his record is very impressive, he never found a real rival for his time. For me a judge a boxer on many things. I dont feel that Lewis' heart was ever really tested enough for me to be able to say that I think he is the greatest British boxer of all time. Eubank and Benn are definently contenders. Benn's losses in this rivalry should not undermine him to Euabnk in any way, which is something that always happens. They were both tested heavily in the Benn-Eubank-Watson rivalries and showed that they were world beaters.

Prince Naseem Hamed would definently have been a contender if he had carried on fighting. Like I said I base this heavily on the heart of a boxer and the rivalries they had that could test them. Hamed never had a rematch with any fighter and some may argue his only real world-class fighter was the one that he lost to and was clearly outboxed. His inability to comeback for a competitive fight after this for whatever reason makes me exclude him from The greatest British fighter of all time.

There are also a lot of fighters long before my time so I cant judge them myself. Maybe Ken Buchanan or McGuigan? Who do you think?

Originally posted by Naz-Fan View Post

I have wondered this for some time now. A lot of people would argue that it's Lennox Lewis. While I agree he is up there, I wouldnt really say he was the best fighter we have ever produced. While his record is very impressive, he never found a real rival for his time. For me a judge a boxer on many things. I dont feel that Lewis' heart was ever really tested enough for me to be able to say that I think he is the greatest British boxer of all time. Eubank and Benn are definently contenders. Benn's losses in this rivalry should not undermine him to Euabnk in any way, which is something that always happens. They were both tested heavily in the Benn-Eubank-Watson rivalries and showed that they were world beaters.

Prince Naseem Hamed would definently have been a contender if he had carried on fighting. Like I said I base this heavily on the heart of a boxer and the rivalries they had that could test them. Hamed never had a rematch with any fighter and some may argue his only real world-class fighter was the one that he lost to and was clearly outboxed. His inability to comeback for a competitive fight after this for whatever reason makes me exclude him from The greatest British fighter of all time.

There are also a lot of fighters long before my time so I cant judge them myself. Maybe Ken Buchanan or McGuigan? Who do you think?
    Howard Winstone and Randolph Turpin were up there with the best

Comment

I thought Randy Turpin was over-rated because of his win over Robinson?

Comment

The kind of names from the distant past that get mentioned are Jimmy Wilde, Ted "Kid" Lewis and Jackie "kid" Berg.

Comment

Although my dad is familliar with fighters from the past im not so much, so from the fighters i have seen ive got to go with Nigel Benn. Goddamn that man was a beast!

Comment

eubankl was better than benn but benn was the most exciting boxer ever IMHO.

p4p i think eubank was the best ever
            in the heavies it has to be lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Naz-Fan View Post
              I thought Randy Turpin was over-rated because of his win over Robinson?
              Have you actualy seen any of Turpins Fights??
              He was also unlucky to lose to Robinson in return.

He Beat Robinson when he was something like 92-0.
              Randy is a Legend.

Comment

Working...
              X