Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where was the first Hispanic world champ from?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was the first Hispanic world champ from?

If you don't know, click on this link to find out the answer and the champion's name:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3586234

While you're at it, read the article. It's pretty interesting.
    Last edited by CubanGuyNYC; 03-16-2010, 11:52 PM.
    Marchegiano Marchegiano likes this.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    If you don't know, click on this link to find out the answer and the champion's name:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3586234

While you're at it, read the article. It's pretty interesting.
    Fascinating!.. As soon as I saw the question, I thought it was either Al Brown or Balthazar Sangechilli..
    After checking the link, it confirms that Brown won the Bantam title in 1934, before briefly handing it over to Sangechilli in 1935, then winning it back again..
    5'11" ****sexual, undisputed bantamweight champion of the world, with a 76" reach - are amazing facts..

Comment

Very interesting. My first thought was Sixto Escobar, but he arrived shortly after this.

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed the article. I didn't know the answer myself. The question just popped into my head and I looked it up on the Net. Brown's life reads like a novel.

Here's an anecdote I found on Wikipedia you might also find worth reading:

"An interesting case happened when he fought Gustav Humery, on January 2, 1929. Brown and Humery had previously agreed that they would not salute by touching gloves before the fight, and when the bell rang, Brown struck quick, breaking Humery's jaw with his first punch and sending him to the floor. With the referee's count of ten seconds, the fight lasted a total of fifteen seconds, one of the quickest knockouts in boxing history."

Comment

Good read so I give it a bump

Comment

Daniel Mendoza from the bareknuckle era was of Spanish Jewish descent.

Comment

Hell, this post was from 2010. Queensbree says it could have changed since then. A different fighter may have been there first, after all this time.

Comment

- -True Medoza first Hispanic champ of bare Knucks England, but the first Queenbury modern Hispanic world champ was the aptly named Pancho Villa who was listed as champ of record when he knocked out all time Legend Jimmy Wilde in 1923. Not clear who he beat for the title as I thought Wilde held it shortly before. https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Pancho_Villa

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                  - -True Medoza first Hispanic champ of bare Knucks England, but the first Queenbury modern Hispanic world champ was the aptly named Pancho Villa who was listed as champ of record when he knocked out all time Legend Jimmy Wilde in 1923. Not clear who he beat for the title as I thought Wilde held it shortly before. https://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Pancho_Villa
                  No doubt a Latino name but me thinks the boy is more Asian than Spanish. Hispanic is suppose to come from a mix of Spanish and American Indian blood ( so I think I may be wrong). But I think you have to come from Latin America to be considered Hispanic.

Besides he looks more Asian than Latino.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

No doubt a Latino name but me thinks the boy is more Asian than Spanish. Hispanic is suppose to come from a mix of Spanish and American Indian blood ( so I think I may be wrong). But I think you have to come from Latin America to be considered Hispanic.

Besides he looks more Asian than Latino.
                    - -Chino Maidana.

Asians been migrating to the Americas from the beginning, but Hispanic is a modern all encompassing term for all things having Spanish origins as I understand it, but folks is always gonna have their own racial/heritage designations that may include, yes, Virginia, an alien element. Bit like discussing lineal titles, the gloves come off and for the brass knucks...

Comment

Working...
                    X