No announcement yet.

Past Joel Osteen is getting criticized for saying this

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Joel Osteen is getting criticized for saying this

A viral clip of Joel Osteen shows the megachurch pastor saying that God is most honored when Christians are successful and externally well-off, and that being poor or defeated "doesn't bring any honor to God."

The clip comes from Osteen's sermon #601, first preached in 2014, titled "Have an Abundant Mentality." The sermon was republished on the Joel Osteen Audio podcast on May 1, 2019. In the sermon, Osteen responds to claims that he is a prosperity minister by at first denying it, but then saying he is "not a poverty minister."

During the sermon, Osteen says:

"'Well,' you say, 'Joel, are you one of those prosperity ministers?' No, I don't like that term. That sounds like somebody that only talks about finances. Prosperity to me is having your health. It's having peace in your mind. It's being able to sleep at night, having good relationships. There are many things that money cannot buy, and while I don't like the term 'prosperity minister,' I must say I am not a poverty minister.

"I can't find one place in the Scripture where we are supposed to drag around not having enough, not able to afford what we want, living off the leftovers, living in the land of not enough. No, we were created to be the head and not the tail. Jesus came that we might live an abundant life. We represent Almighty God here on this earth. We should be examples of His goodness, so blessed, so prosperous, so generous, so full of joy that other people want what we have.

"But you've got to fight a religious spirit that says you're supposed to be poor, broke and defeated to show God that you're really humble. No, when you're poor, broke and defeated, all that proves is that you're poor, broke and defeated. It doesn't bring any honor to God. If I brought my two children up on the platform today and their clothes were all raggedy, worn out, holes in their shoes, hair not combed, you would look at me and think, 'What kind of father is he?' It'd be a poor reflection on me. Listen, when you look good, dress good, live in a nice place, excel in your career, generous with others, that brings a smile to God's face. It brings Him pleasure to prosper you."

------------

I agree with him!!

financially well off and healthy = heaven
    broke = hell

I find it funny that anyone takes what he says seriously. Dude is obviously a wolf in sheeps clothing. Heck he denied Christ on Larry King's show

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
      I find it funny that anyone takes what he says seriously. Dude is obviously a wolf in sheeps clothing. Heck he denied Christ on Larry King's show
      /Thread.

I wish someone would tell Kanye to beware of false preachers that deny The Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessed be His name

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
        Originally posted by Mighty_Windir View Post
        /Thread.

I wish someone would tell Kanye to beware of false preachers that deny The Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessed be His name
        osteen is a businessman / celebrity, not a real preacher. nobody should be listening to what he says

Comment

Matthew 19:24

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Comment

He is a glum flam man! Money is his good and the prosperity gospel is false teachings!

Comment

He's a disgusting piece of ****. He's a criminal.

Comment

The guy grew up in the church, his father was a preacher and when he died Joel took over.

This is no crook, no $$$$$$ is his everything at all. The guy went to Oral Roberts University.

I pay no attention to the small stuff with religions/preachers, it's all about do you believe.

Wiki

Career
                Osteen's father encouraged him to preach for many years, but he declined, preferring to work behind the scenes until January 17, 1999, when he accepted his father's suggestion and he preached his first sermon. John Osteen died six days later of a heart attack. Two weeks after his father's death, Osteen began preaching regularly and later that year was installed as the new senior pastor of Lakewood Church on October 3, 1999.[9] As of 2014, Lakewood's attendance had grown from 5,000 to 43,000.[10]
                Last edited by Ubeja Vontell; 02-07-2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Joel O'Steen is a motivational speaker. Not biblical at all.
                  Charles Stanley, Billy Graham they are biblical scholars teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael10161 View Post
                    Joel O'Steen is a motivational speaker. Not biblical at all.
                    Charles Stanley, Billy Graham they are biblical scholars teachers.
                    That simply isn't true.

Comment

Working...
                    X