No announcement yet.

Victor Ortiz at 154?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor Ortiz at 154?

What do you guys think if Ortiz were to move up in weight? I think 147 is great for him. But going to 154 means fighting the likes of Cotto, Canelo, Kirkland, Angulo, etc... More power? Less speed? The same?

Would Ortiz be successful at 154?

He's got the frame to eventually, definitely. But if he can comfortably make 147 he should stick there.

I don't think he beats Cotto, Canelo, Lara, Kirkland, or Williams.

Comment

I don't think his KO power will carry from 140 to 154. It barely carries to 147.

He might be able to comfortably make weight, but that doesn't necessarily mean that 154 is a comfortable division for him.

I think Victor relies on his power. Given his type of fighting style, in order for him to be successful at 154, power is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        I don't think his KO power will carry from 140 to 154. It barely carries to 147.

He might be able to comfortably make weight, but that doesn't necessarily mean that 154 is a comfortable division for him.

I think Victor relies on his power. Given his type of fighting style, in order for him to be successful at 154, power is needed.
        agreed. hes not a very skillful, smart or even durable fighter. hes a tough oponent bcuz hes a big, strong and powerful lefty. if he moves up i dont see him carrying his power, he wont be able to out muscle ppl as easily and his chin would be a big question mark too imo.

dont think he would be threat to any top fighter at 154. hes so flawed as a fighter he needs all the size and power advantage he can get.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
          agreed. hes not a very skillful, smart or even durable fighter. hes a tough oponent bcuz hes a big, strong and powerful lefty. if he moves up i dont see him carrying his power, he wont be able to out muscle ppl as easily and his chin would be a big question mark too imo.

dont think he would be threat to any top fighter at 154. hes so flawed as a fighter he needs all the size and power advantage he can get.
          To say that Ortiz isn't skillful is just nonsense. He may not be as skillful as Mayweather, or guys like Cotto but very few are. He had a very extensive amateur career, is a good boxer, very strong and is a come forward lefty. He can cause a lot of problems for anyone at 147lbs and carries a big punch.

As far as his durability, other than the Maidana fight, when have we seen the kid quit? He showed heart vs Berto is what was a fight of the year candidate and got sucker punched by Floyd.

I don't think he has much success at 154 because guys like Kirkland and Canelo are naturally bigger but let's not trash the kid because he's not an A+ fighter.

Comment

I think Ortiz can carry his power at 154 he has only fought twice at WW and his second time fighting at 147 was against the best defensive fighter of all time and that fight ended in controversy. IMO Ortiz hits a lot harder than Cotto and he can definitely beat Alvarez and is more skilled than Kirkland...

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              To say that Ortiz isn't skillful is just nonsense. He may not be as skillful as Mayweather, or guys like Cotto but very few are. He had a very extensive amateur career, is a good boxer, very strong and is a come forward lefty. He can cause a lot of problems for anyone at 147lbs and carries a big punch.

As far as his durability, other than the Maidana fight, when have we seen the kid quit? He showed heart vs Berto is what was a fight of the year candidate and got sucker punched by Floyd.

I don't think he has much success at 154 because guys like Kirkland and Canelo are naturally bigger but let's not trash the kid because he's not an A+ fighter.
              I agree.

Comment

I want to see how he does at WW.

Comment

i think he can, but he wont be tremendous at that weight. if his power carries over, great, but i dont think that it will, but who knows...

Comment

I think his power will carry well to that weight but his style suits him well where he is now. The guys at 154 will be his size or bigger but also more skilled. For instance, if Sergio Martinez were to fight him at 154 I think Sergio would be too much. I know some will say that's an exception but at the moment Ortiz is near the top of the division for 147 and probably would try to establish himself in a similar if not higher position at 154. Guys like Lara would be too slick.

If he can improve his boxing skills and not just rely on conditioning then he could make it there.....and also get his head straight

Comment

Working...
                    X