No announcement yet.

a right handed south paw ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a right handed south paw ?

Hey guys, i know that sounds wierd but i been going to the boxing gym for the last 3-4 months and i feel alot more comfortable when im in a south paw stance, thing is im a right handed person is that normal?

This isn't abnormal at all. I'm a converted southpaw myself, as have been plenty of great fighters (Hagler, Wright, Pacquiao).

Comment

It's certainly not normal but it's not that unusual.

You'll also find left handed people who fight orthodox such as Miguel Cotto and Oscar de la Hoya.

It's a good thing, you should have a good jab and right hook since your strong hand will be forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
        This isn't abnormal at all. I'm a converted southpaw myself, as have been plenty of great fighters (Hagler, Wright, Pacquiao).
        Are you sure Pac is right handed?

Comment

Originally posted by 11wordisbond View Post
          Are you sure Pac is right handed?
          He writes right-handed, but I think he's a bit more ambidextrous than most.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
            He writes right-handed, but I think he's a bit more ambidextrous than most.
            I remember Freddie saying that Manny signs autographs with his left and then his right hand to give each hand a rest because he signs a ridiculous amount of autographs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapes View Post
              Hey guys, i know that sounds wierd but i been going to the boxing gym for the last 3-4 months and i feel alot more comfortable when im in a south paw stance, thing is im a right handed person is that normal?
              Yup pretty normal. you probably feel more confident having the arm you control better in front. That's mainly why I chose to train in southpaw stance, relying more on the jab and the lead hand and trying to improve the strength and control of my left in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Grapes View Post
                just like me! i used to south paw stance! my jab will ktfuo!

Comment

it is normal, i would reccomend u try to learn the orthodox way though. being a unnatural southpaw it will take alot of work improving your left hand so u wont be a one handed fighter, thats how most ppl fighting in the "wrong" stance end up. i would reccomend u fight orthodox and if lefty really comes natural then switch every now and then, be a switchhitter. but if lefty is your main stance it will make for alot of extra work.

Comment

i change stances but i find my defense is better when im in an orthodox stance, dont know if it is the same for you.

dawson is another example of a right handed person fighting southpaw

Comment

Working...
                    X