No announcement yet.

mouthpiece dillemma (gagging)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mouthpiece dillemma (gagging)

i'm guessing there are a few others on this forum who have the mouthpiece gagging problem...is there anything i can do to make it better? or maybe is there a mouthpiece that my fellow gaggers use to eliminate this problem? i'm a complete newb when it comes to boxing, just started as a matter of fact, so any advice would be awesome. thanks

you may be gagging because the mouthpiece is too long. try to trim it. that should solve problem.

Comment

I just trimmed mine and it fits perfectly now.

Comment

Do you have a single or double mouthpiece. Try a double mouthpiece. I had a single mouthpiece back when i played football and it use to fall out easy and i use to gag. So my coach told me to switch to double mouthpiece. And now thats all I use. Here is the one i bought at academy: http://www.everlast.com/everlast-double-mouthguard.html but try to trim your mouthpiece first and then see whats what

Comment

Originally posted by 817boy View Post
          Do you have a single or double mouthpiece. Try a double mouthpiece. I had a single mouthpiece back when i played football and it use to fall out easy and i use to gag. So my coach told me to switch to double mouthpiece. And now thats all I use. Here is the one i bought at academy: http://www.everlast.com/everlast-double-mouthguard.html but try to trim your mouthpiece first and then see whats what

I would advise going to the double mouthpiece anyway. I used a single for a while and then tried the double and it works a lot better.

Comment

nice

i will try the double, and trimming if i need to, thanks

Comment

No, no, no, if you're new to boxing do not touch that mouthpeice. Mouthguards are horrible to have in your mouth, they make you feel sick and this is made worse when you feel tired. I remember my first spar with my new mouthguard, i'd only just got it that morning aswell so I hadn't got comfortable with it. The first time i'd worn it besides moulding it was in the ring. I felt as if I was going to be sick, honestly, I wasn't but it felt as if somebody had their finger down my throat. After that day I started to just wear it randomly abit more because when you feel ill like that you can't think properly and you need to be sharp as possible in the ring. I could still feel it, wasn't totally comfortable and then I started to train with it in aswell. So when I do bagwork I do it with a guard in now, now i'm used to it. In fact, I barely notice it.

Don't trim it yet! Wear it more, train with it on and get used to it. If it continues then trim it. If it's a £2 mouthguard, fine trim it now if you want, just buy another if it is too short. If it's a £20 or so one, don't trim it yet.

I was recommended that it's best to go to a dentist or another likewise professional who will mould one perfect for you with the specific thickness for degree of impact which you recieve boxing. These are better and fit perfectly, they give the best protection and they supposedly fit so well you can't tell they're in. I'm considering getting one because after all you only get 1 set of adult teeth and mouthguards are also important in regards to whether or not you get KO'd which alot of people overlook.

Comment

he's right. it is best to go to dentist. they can send records to companies regarding specific fitting. but that is a tall order unless you are very serious. really, u should know if mouthguard ius too big or two small by wearing it for a while.

however, i have never felt sick from a mouthguard. so i have no idea what that means. if you gaga easily, chnaces are it is too long. you just have to feel it out. it is not a big deal unless you have really expensive mouth piece.

Originally posted by JayCoe View Post
                No, no, no, if you're new to boxing do not touch that mouthpeice. Mouthguards are horrible to have in your mouth, they make you feel sick and this is made worse when you feel tired. I remember my first spar with my new mouthguard, i'd only just got it that morning aswell so I hadn't got comfortable with it. The first time i'd worn it besides moulding it was in the ring. I felt as if I was going to be sick, honestly, I wasn't but it felt as if somebody had their finger down my throat. After that day I started to just wear it randomly abit more because when you feel ill like that you can't think properly and you need to be sharp as possible in the ring. I could still feel it, wasn't totally comfortable and then I started to train with it in aswell. So when I do bagwork I do it with a guard in now, now i'm used to it. In fact, I barely notice it.

Don't trim it yet! Wear it more, train with it on and get used to it. If it continues then trim it. If it's a £2 mouthguard, fine trim it now if you want, just buy another if it is too short. If it's a £20 or so one, don't trim it yet.

I was recommended that it's best to go to a dentist or another likewise professional who will mould one perfect for you with the specific thickness for degree of impact which you recieve boxing. These are better and fit perfectly, they give the best protection and they supposedly fit so well you can't tell they're in. I'm considering getting one because after all you only get 1 set of adult teeth and mouthguards are also important in regards to whether or not you get KO'd which alot of people overlook.

Comment

I was told it's about £50 from a Dentist. That's in the U.K though, in America medical services are a little more profit orientated. I spent £20 on my gumshield and £3 on postage, so that's £23 and as much as I trust my gumshield with retrospect i'd have rather shelled out the extra £27 and had something that is not even remotely loose, perfectly fitted and perfectly designed. When you put into context what £27 really means, it's nothing when you compare what you would spend that on - day to day - and how you can basically save that money back by just going without things which aren't needed for a week or two and there you go, you've got a gumshield for life.

Comment

Originally posted by JayCoe View Post
                    I was told it's about £50 from a Dentist. That's in the U.K though, in America medical services are a little more profit orientated. I spent £20 on my gumshield and £3 on postage, so that's £23 and as much as I trust my gumshield with retrospect i'd have rather shelled out the extra £27 and had something that is not even remotely loose, perfectly fitted and perfectly designed. When you put into context what £27 really means, it's nothing when you compare what you would spend that on - day to day - and how you can basically save that money back by just going without things which aren't needed for a week or two and there you go, you've got a gumshield for life.
                    Rob order this one online and wear it when you hit the bag to get used to it....

http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25011

Best one for the buck...its the shizz

Comment

Working...
                    X